Weaving Motorcyclists- move or stay where you are?

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby Ancient » Thu May 09, 2013 3:35 pm

exportmanuk wrote:
dth wrote:
My post reflected the fact that whilst I certainly won't be obstructive, I don't think it's right or appropriate to automatically move over to let them pass as I see so many doing.

Why not if there is space to do it safely ? I find it very frustrating when on a road almost wide enough for two lanes in each direction all the cars queue close to the dotted white dividing line. If the drivers kept further left it would facilitate motorcyclists overtaking safely.

Doesn't Roadcraft say something about positioning the car in queues of traffic, so you can take views down either side alternately? That would be why they don't keep out of the 'cycles way perhaps. Of course, leaving a gap 'cycles can take refuge in is also mentioned.
Ancient

Postby dth » Thu May 09, 2013 10:38 pm

exportmanuk wrote:
dth wrote:
My post reflected the fact that whilst I certainly won't be obstructive, I don't think it's right or appropriate to automatically move over to let them pass as I see so many doing.

Why not if there is space to do it safely ? I find it very frustrating when on a road almost wide enough for two lanes in each direction all the cars queue close to the dotted white dividing line. If the drivers kept further left it would facilitate motorcyclists overtaking safely.

I wasn't really envisaging a road with that sort of room and on that sort of road, I wouldn't be queueing that close to the line anyway. In that situation, I'd have little problem in facilitating their overtake simply by being where I wanted to be.
Life is not black and white - neither is driving.
dth

Previous

Return to Advanced Driving Forum