Weaving Motorcyclists- move or stay where you are?

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby Gumby » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:12 pm

When queuing in slow moving traffic and there are motorcyclists weaving in between multiple lanes, do you move over slightly to help them get past, or stay where you are?

I know it's their responsibility to do this safely, but I want to reduce the risk of having them knock into my car, so I sometimes move slightly to give them a little more room.
Gumby

Postby Jack Russell » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:42 pm

I always move out their way no matter what side they wish to go.

The only time I clench is when two go past at once, either side, simultaneously. :?
Regards JR
Jack Russell

Postby 7db » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:49 pm

I commute on the A40 in London. It's a 3-lane traffic jam with mopedists laning between both lanes -- sometimes carry 20mph over traffic, although most maintain a steady flow -- one thing I've noticed is how within the laners there are impatient tailgaters and a whole microcosm of traffic.

I'll accommodate all other road users as much as I can without impeding my progress. I tuck over if I'm in lane 1 or 3 -- although not in the area where I know there to be big drain covers. I'll also try to allow myself to be staggered relative to the vehicles next to me, so that even if I am centred in lane, they are not squeezed between two. I try to do that anyway, as I don't trust the other cars any more than they should.

I'm very wary of moving if in lane 2 for the reason of the double laners.

Courier bikes never say thank-you.
7db

Postby Slink_Pink » Wed May 01, 2013 8:30 am

I will always move over to accommodate them unless I can see that it's dangerous for them to proceed in which case I will position to discourage.
Q: "Need I remind you, 007, that you have a license to kill, not to break the traffic laws."
Slink_Pink

Postby TripleS » Wed May 01, 2013 8:59 am

7db wrote:I commute on the A40 in London. It's a 3-lane traffic jam with mopedists laning between both lanes -- sometimes carry 20mph over traffic, although most maintain a steady flow -- one thing I've noticed is how within the laners there are impatient tailgaters and a whole microcosm of traffic.

I'll accommodate all other road users as much as I can without impeding my progress. I tuck over if I'm in lane 1 or 3 -- although not in the area where I know there to be big drain covers.

Blame the stupid and incompetent local authorities and their contractors for that. Drainage gullies should have the tops of their metal grids/covers set flush with the road surface. This will permit perfectly satisfactory dispersal of surface water. They don't need to be set down in a bloody great hole for our wheels to drop into when we're adopting a close-in nearside position. :evil: :evil:
Last edited by TripleS on Wed May 01, 2013 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TripleS

Postby ScoobyChris » Wed May 01, 2013 8:59 am

Slink_Pink wrote:I will always move over to accommodate them unless I can see that it's dangerous for them to proceed in which case I will position to discourage.

Can you discourage someone on two wheels? Certainly my experience in London suggests that they will go past regardless and accommodating (or at least showing intent to accommodate) them seems to be the best way to keep the car undamaged.

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby Horse » Wed May 01, 2013 10:17 am

Yes, make room. Why not? Only thing is, check left if moving that way!

ScoobyChris wrote:
Slink_Pink wrote:I will always move over to accommodate them unless I can see that it's dangerous for them to proceed in which case I will position to discourage.

Can you discourage someone on two wheels?

Yes; some drivers will deliberately pull across and block an otherwise perfectly reasonable gap (and I'm no demon filterer). I had one guy do it, then complain because my headlamp was dazzling him . . . :roll:

But the best I've heard was of a rider toddling gently along between two stopped lanes on a dual-c. Driver ahead looked in his mirrors, saw the bike, moved over and blocked the gap.

My rider mate wasn't in a hurry, so just waited patiently for traffic to move on. Then, when there was a safe place, he switched on his blues and stopped the guy for a chat :)

But the best bit was what the guy said: "Sorry, officer, I thought you were an ordinary motorcyclist."

Another trafpol friend was bimbling along in a 30 limit, white & fluoro bike, white helmet, dayglo hi-viz and daytime riding lights . . . and someone loked, then pulled out in front. When stopped, said exactly the same . . .
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby Horse » Wed May 01, 2013 10:20 am

Slink_Pink wrote: unless I can see that it's dangerous for them to proceed in which case I will position to discourage.

Just to clarify: if you position yourself in lane 3 of a motorway and drive at 70, because that's the legal limit and you're going to stop other drivers exceeding the limit, isn't that 'causing an obstruction'?

What sort of danger do you have in mind?
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby 7db » Wed May 01, 2013 11:04 am

TripleS wrote:They don't need to be set down in a bloody great hole for our wheels to drop into when we're adopting a a close-in nearside position. :evil: :evil:

No idea what the nearside ones are like. :-)
7db

Postby TripleS » Wed May 01, 2013 1:08 pm

7db wrote:
TripleS wrote:They don't need to be set down in a bloody great hole for our wheels to drop into when we're adopting a a close-in nearside position. :evil: :evil:

No idea what the nearside ones are like. :-)

I'm quite well acquainted with them - usually trying to keep out of the way of the teararses, AKA 'progress makers'! :roll:
TripleS

Postby Slink_Pink » Wed May 01, 2013 1:28 pm

Horse wrote:
Slink_Pink wrote: unless I can see that it's dangerous for them to proceed in which case I will position to discourage.

Just to clarify: if you position yourself in lane 3 of a motorway and drive at 70, because that's the legal limit and you're going to stop other drivers exceeding the limit, isn't that 'causing an obstruction'?

What sort of danger do you have in mind?

I wouldn't consider such an action in that situation. I was thinking mainly of slower moving queuing/queued traffic in which I often see filtering occur. I have no intention to obstruct their progress any more than I wish to have mine obstructed! I will only position to discourage if I think that I can protect the rider from a hazard that they may not be able to see. It's a judgment call based on my observations of the road/conditions and the way in which the motorbike is being ridden. In any case, if they are intent on proceeding despite my position, I will move back to let them pass with as much space as I the conditions permit.

Only thing that slightly grates me really is drivers/bikers who totally fail to acknowledge my positioning for their benefit - this applies equally to bikes and cars - however, I get over it!
Q: "Need I remind you, 007, that you have a license to kill, not to break the traffic laws."
Slink_Pink

Postby Gareth » Wed May 01, 2013 1:37 pm

Slink_Pink wrote:Only thing that slightly grates me really is drivers/bikers who totally fail to acknowledge my positioning for their benefit

Not being a biker it's hard to say but I think it partly depends how early you adjust your position. I find that when I notice very early that a bike is coming through and position accordingly my effort is generally not acknowledged. If I delay until the rider is likely to be seeing and thinking about passing me then I generally see an acknowledging hand or foot wave.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby Hiijinx » Wed May 01, 2013 4:14 pm

I will always do my best to accommodate a biker by moving over when safe to do so.

Whenever I spot a motorcyclist in my mirrors, my immediate thoughts turn to "where is his friend?" - a very useful observation I have found as they invariably in groups, double the size on a sunny day.

My next observation is what shape of bike (I no nothing about specific models!) and the riders clothing to which I make a reasonably successful assumption on their next actions.

Medical bikes : Expect anything, keeping checks on both side mirrors.

Lunchbox bikes (with the storage box on back who aren't medical couriers) I find usually sit back for the most part and only go when its really clear.

The splits bikes (where you cringe at how far his legs are straddling the seat) I tend to find usually sit back centrally in my mirror, acting as a car would.

Groups of sporty looking bikes with riders wearing matching gear- RED alert!

I had one such encounter just the other day - it was a nice sunny Sunday mid morning on a fairy busy single carriage NSL with some nice bends, although not normally a "biker hotspot" they were quite obviously out for a fast ride.

On the approach to a series of double bends complete with chevrons, I notice the first biker in my mirror and like clockwork, another 3 appear close behind, all sporting white racing gear complete with knee scuffing on the tarmac. Mid way through the double bend, they have overtaken the previous cars are now immediately behind me so I move over even further to what I already was (being a right hand bend). As the road started to straighten out, the first passed - safely and anticipated.

What followed was sheer carelessness - the other 3 followed suit narrowly missing oncoming traffic and meer inches from my offside mirror - all that and with my tyres still on the edge white line bumping along the drain covers. I really did think he was going to clip me but could not move over any further whilst braking seemed an idiotic idea on the exit of a sharp bend.

They then continued down the road doing wheelies - didn't see them again thankfully!
Hiijinx

Postby exportmanuk » Wed May 01, 2013 5:24 pm

As a biker who filters a lot whilst commuting to work in Manchester I always try to acknowledge people moving out of my way,giving me extra space to move through in gratly appreciated, however as the throttle and brake are on the right hand and the clutch is on the left hand it is not always possible to wave. But if you have moved out of the way for me I do appreciate it 8)

Sometime of course I see drivers deliberately obstructing filtering often moving so far over into the flow line I could pass them on the other side, usually they get fed up soon and start playing with the Audi toys again.

It is also very surprising the number of people I see on the phone/texting/shaving/putting makeup on even reading the paper whilst moving along slowly.
exportmanuk

Postby Hiijinx » Wed May 01, 2013 6:11 pm

@ Exportmanuk and any other bikers

Out of curiosity - when filtering through slow/stationary traffic - do you intentionally rev your engine as you slow down or is that just how bikes work?

Either way - its really helpful as a car driver as you can't mistake that sound. 8)
Hiijinx

Next

Return to Advanced Driving Forum