Weaving Motorcyclists- move or stay where you are?

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby Slink_Pink » Thu May 02, 2013 8:44 am

exportmanuk wrote:As a biker who filters a lot whilst commuting to work in Manchester I always try to acknowledge people moving out of my way,giving me extra space to move through in gratly appreciated, however as the throttle and brake are on the right hand and the clutch is on the left hand it is not always possible to wave.
I know it's not always possible to acknowledge (I've been in a similar position horse riding in which I didn't dare move my hands and even a nod of the head was a risky prospect) and I do greatly appreciate those that do.

exportmanuk wrote:It is also very surprising the number of people I see on the phone/texting/shaving/putting makeup on even reading the paper whilst moving along slowly.
Yes, just this morning a driver behind me was enjoying a banana on the M77 during rush hour traffic! I did have an instantaneous urge to stamp on the brakes but didn't really fancy the consequences.

Hiijinx wrote:@ Exportmanuk and any other bikers

Out of curiosity - when filtering through slow/stationary traffic - do you intentionally rev your engine as you slow down or is that just how bikes work?

Either way - its really helpful as a car driver as you can't mistake that sound. 8)
+1
Q: "Need I remind you, 007, that you have a license to kill, not to break the traffic laws."
Slink_Pink

Postby exportmanuk » Thu May 02, 2013 9:36 am

Depends on the bike. I can trickle along quietly, but if I am changing down I blip the throttle to smooth the change, some bikes don't idle well, others just like the noise. Between stationary traffic depending on the situation I am usually in first gear doing 10-15 mph so the engine is audible anyway

Sometimes I may blip the throttle sometimes if someone seems to be asleep and drifting. :lol:
exportmanuk

Postby fungus » Thu May 02, 2013 8:59 pm

If safe I try my best to allow motorcyclists to filter, and on NSL S/C ways I move left to let them make progress. I usually get an acknowledgement for this.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby jont » Thu May 02, 2013 9:28 pm

fungus wrote:If safe I try my best to allow motorcyclists to filter, and on NSL S/C ways I move left to let them make progress. I usually get an acknowledgement for this.

Likewise, but I wish they'd do the same and get out of the bloody way in the twisties :lol:
jont

Postby WhoseGeneration » Thu May 02, 2013 9:45 pm

I'm with most here, I'll try to help filtering motorcyclists, also in faster moving traffic, where I'll often go nearside to give that extra margin and usually receive a thanks.
The problem I have is in city and town traffic where I'm concious of cyclists who want to use the nearside to me and so I allow that space, perhaps denying the offside space to motorcyclists.
As usual, try to do the best you can in any particular situation.
That's what AD is about.
Always a commentary, spoken or not.
Keeps one safe. One hopes.
WhoseGeneration

Postby TripleS » Fri May 03, 2013 6:28 am

WhoseGeneration wrote:I'm with most here, I'll try to help filtering motorcyclists, also in faster moving traffic, where I'll often go nearside to give that extra margin and usually receive a thanks.
The problem I have is in city and town traffic where I'm concious of cyclists who want to use the nearside to me and so I allow that space, perhaps denying the offside space to motorcyclists.
That's what AD is about.

Agreed, although I'm more inclined to help motorcyclists to overtake on the open road, not that they need much help in getting past me; they usually blow my doors off with no trouble at all. :lol:

As to their filtering in slow moving traffic, it rather depends how they seek to do it. Of course it makes sense for them to advance carefully through the traffic rather than suffer unnecessary delay, but if they're too pushy about it, I don't feel so inclined to co-operate.

I'm afraid that, as with many modern-day cyclists, some of the bikers do not seem sufficiently attentive to their own safety.
TripleS

Postby Ancient » Fri May 03, 2013 9:08 am

WhoseGeneration wrote:I'm with most here, I'll try to help filtering motorcyclists, also in faster moving traffic, where I'll often go nearside to give that extra margin and usually receive a thanks.
That's what AD is about.

Many adult cyclists are taking up cycle-commuting having spent years commuting by car, especially in towns where distances are shorter and speeds generally lower; these cyclists have the (often poor) knowledge of the HC and safe practice that is already prevalent in car drivers. Whilst cycle farcilities often encourage them to use the nearside, doing so speaks of inexperience: That is the most dangerous place and it is unsurprising that many of the cyclists killed are on the nearside of left-turning vehicles (whether overtaking or being overtaken and dismissed). Please leave the off-side free for overtaking rather than the near side; this encourages cyclists to overtake in a safer place and means it is harder for them to get trapped against walls, railings and kerbs.
Ancient

Postby exportmanuk » Fri May 03, 2013 1:05 pm

Ancient wrote:Many adult cyclists are taking up cycle-commuting having spent years commuting by car, especially in towns where distances are shorter and speeds generally lower; these cyclists have the (often poor) knowledge of the HC and safe practice that is already prevalent in car drivers. Whilst cycle farcilities often encourage them to use the nearside, doing so speaks of inexperience: That is the most dangerous place and it is unsurprising that many of the cyclists killed are on the nearside of left-turning vehicles (whether overtaking or being overtaken and dismissed). Please leave the off-side free for overtaking rather than the near side; this encourages cyclists to overtake in a safer place and means it is harder for them to get trapped against walls, railings and kerbs.

Unfortunately most of our councils whilst paying lip service to cyclist put very narrow cycle lanes up the near side of major roads that often end just before a left hand bend.
exportmanuk

Postby dth » Sun May 05, 2013 4:59 pm

I have no problem with safe filtering or safe overtaking but the overtake is the responsibilty of the overtaker and I will not normally change my course to allow overtakers through.

The title of the post is 'Weaving Motorcyclists etc' and if bikers are weaving inappropriately, I will take whatever action I feel necessary in order to preserve my safety but not simply to allow them through. That can encourage poor decisions from the bikers and from other overtakers in other situations.
Life is not black and white - neither is driving.
dth

Postby GJD » Tue May 07, 2013 12:37 pm

dth wrote:I have no problem with safe filtering or safe overtaking but the overtake is the responsibilty of the overtaker and I will not normally change my course to allow overtakers through.

I tend to agree, although sometimes I consider moving a little just to let them know that I've seen them and I'm aware of them.
GJD

Postby exportmanuk » Tue May 07, 2013 3:57 pm

dth wrote:
The title of the post is 'Weaving Motorcyclists etc' and if bikers are weaving inappropriately, I will take whatever action I feel necessary in order to preserve my safety but not simply to allow them through. That can encourage poor decisions from the bikers and from other overtakers in other situations.

'Weaving Motorcyclists etc' I took that to mean filtering ( hopefully sensibly)

I did weave a rug once, but I was still in schools at the time
exportmanuk

Postby Horse » Wed May 08, 2013 7:35 am

dth wrote:I have no problem with safe filtering or safe overtaking but the overtake is the responsibilty of the overtaker and I will not normally change my course to allow overtakers through.

My thoughts and actions would be on the basis that, if they seem to be determined to pass, then the sooner they're past and away the better for me.
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby dth » Wed May 08, 2013 8:26 pm

Horse wrote:

My thoughts and actions would be on the basis that, if they seem to be determined to pass, then the sooner they're past and away the better for me.

That steps it to the next stage and I might well do the same at some point.

My post reflected the fact that whilst I certainly won't be obstructive, I don't think it's right or appropriate to automatically move over to let them pass as I see so many doing.
Life is not black and white - neither is driving.
dth

Postby jameslb101 » Wed May 08, 2013 10:26 pm

Hiijinx wrote:Out of curiosity - when filtering through slow/stationary traffic - do you intentionally rev your engine as you slow down or is that just how bikes work?

Either way - its really helpful as a car driver as you can't mistake that sound. 8)

Most bikers do this to make their presence known, in a way that's more recognisable and perceived as less aggressive than the horn.
jameslb101

Postby exportmanuk » Thu May 09, 2013 2:54 pm

dth wrote:
My post reflected the fact that whilst I certainly won't be obstructive, I don't think it's right or appropriate to automatically move over to let them pass as I see so many doing.

Why not if there is space to do it safely ? I find it very frustrating when on a road almost wide enough for two lanes in each direction all the cars queue close to the dotted white dividing line. If the drivers kept further left it would facilitate motorcyclists overtaking safely.
exportmanuk

PreviousNext

Return to Advanced Driving Forum