Waiting for Tutor/Observer

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby DamianJ » Wed May 01, 2013 8:37 pm

Hi,

I've recently joined the forum after joining a local RoADAR group.

I'm currently still waiting to be assigned a tutor and have a couple of questions.

How long do people, on average, wait to be assigned a tutor? Obviously it varies, but I was just curious to hear from tutors/group organisers etc

I have a copy of "Roadcraft" and "The Highway Code", is there anything that people can recommend that I start doing/practising on my own before being assigned a tutor? Or is that frowned upon?

Thanks
DamianJ

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Wed May 01, 2013 8:51 pm

Most groups would hope to have a tutor allocated to you within, say, 6 weeks. It depends on the size of the group, the number of tutors it has, and the backlog of associates they have. If it was going to be any longer than that, you should have been told when you applied.

You can certainly do something in the meantime. Read your Roadcraft and your Highway Code. For Roadcraft, read chapters 2 and 3 in particular (you should read chapter 1 as well obviously, but there's no technical info in there) - you'd be amazed how few associates do, even once they start observed drives. Ask questions on here. If you can, get to an AD-UK driving day. I went to at least 2 before I actually started observed drives - I had a similar problem to you.

Lastly, look in the mentoring thread in the members only section, and see if there's someone in your area who'd be willing to go for a few drives to start the process off.

Enjoy!
Last edited by Mr Cholmondeley-Warner on Thu May 02, 2013 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby ScoobyChris » Thu May 02, 2013 8:44 am

ScoobyChris

Postby DamianJ » Thu May 02, 2013 8:03 pm

Thanks for the replies so far.

I've actually got the first of the Chris Gilbert DVDs, only watched it once so far though.

Didn't know there was a Roadcraft DVD... might look at that one.

Which DVD would you recommend?
DamianJ

Postby brianhaddon » Thu May 02, 2013 9:47 pm

They are all excellent and I suppose everyone has their own favourites but of them all I prefer the Bespoke Training DVDs from Mark Kendrick. There is also the Cadence DVD by Hugh Noblett, another slant on the commentary DVD. Unfortunately I can't find any links.
Regards
Brian Haddon
brianhaddon

Postby WhoseGeneration » Thu May 02, 2013 9:56 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:Most groups would hope to have a tutor allocated to you within, say, 6 weeks.

Enjoy!

What?, that long, almost makes me want to become an observer again, although I'm not sure I could cope with the current regime.
Seriously, if the AD organisations can't provide tutors or observers within a much shorter timescale they should be questioning theirselves as to why.
Always a commentary, spoken or not.
Keeps one safe. One hopes.
WhoseGeneration

Postby ScoobyChris » Fri May 03, 2013 8:57 am

DamianJ wrote:Which DVD would you recommend?

I think they all have their strengths but the Roadcraft one may be the best from the point of view of introducing fundamentals (you might recognise a slightly younger Chris Gilbert in it ;)). Can't really go wrong with any of them though :D

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Mon May 06, 2013 7:36 pm

WhoseGeneration wrote:
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:Most groups would hope to have a tutor allocated to you within, say, 6 weeks.

Enjoy!

What?, that long, almost makes me want to become an observer again, although I'm not sure I could cope with the current regime.
Seriously, if the AD organisations can't provide tutors or observers within a much shorter timescale they should be questioning theirselves as to why.

Summed up in one word "volunteer". Advanced driving is not a business. In our group we would normally have a tutor allocated almost as soon as the associate joins, but that doesn't necessarily mean drives would start straight away.

Not sure what is meant by "not sure if I could cope with the current regime" - what part of the current regime makes you less interested? Are you symptomatic of a greater exodus?
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby WhoseGeneration » Tue May 07, 2013 9:55 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:
WhoseGeneration wrote:

Enjoy!

Summed up in one word "volunteer". Advanced driving is not a business. In our group we would normally have a tutor allocated almost as soon as the associate joins, but that doesn't necessarily mean drives would start straight away.

Not sure what is meant by "not sure if I could cope with the current regime" - what part of the current regime makes you less interested? Are you symptomatic of a greater exodus?

Probably just me and my particular viewpoint. I was very happy observing for the IAM group I was originally in and had a 100% accepted for membership rate. I was a patient observer helping some who took many months to achieve the required standard.
That group had a lot of support from the local Constabulary which included Sunday morning taster drives with Police drivers in marked cars with observers then going out with the participants in their own cars and we got folks from that experience signing up and then to observed drives very quickly.
I then moved location and contacted a local group but my experience wasn't positive so I just, basically, lapsed.
Being told by the observer assigned to check me out, "we would consider that mechanically unsympathetic" after a double declutch change to 3rd gear at 60 mph, in my Astra GTE 16v didn't help.
If there's one thing I am in road cars, it's mechanically sympathetic, getting very long life from such as clutches, brakes and tyres.
My wife remained a member long after me and I perceived a shift in the magazine, again perhaps just me but somehow the emphasis seemed to move from enjoying cars and driving to rigid behaviour.
Thing is, as here shows, the AD organisations are not making any significant inroads into increasing membership, the Government isn't interested and the motoring press isn't.
Why?
Always a commentary, spoken or not.
Keeps one safe. One hopes.
WhoseGeneration

Postby DamianJ » Wed May 08, 2013 7:34 pm

Thanks for the comments so far.

I was a little surprised when it was mentioned above that a tutor would be allocated in around 6 weeks. Although, before, and again when I joined, that was approximately what I was told. It has worked out at longer than that though.

I appreciate that those involved in AD groups are volunteers and that groups vary considerably in their organisation etc. but I can understand how people join a group and are subsequently put off by the long waits for drives.
DamianJ

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Wed May 08, 2013 7:42 pm

I tried to be conservative, to cover a range of possibilities, and so as not to put your local group in a bad light. As I explained, groups vary. Actually the problem we have more often is associates joining but then not being available themselves, once a tutor is allocated. The boot can be on either foot.
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby superplum » Thu May 09, 2013 11:36 am

Waiting time will always be dependent on group resources (no. of tutors and availability). "We" always make it clear to associates that all our tutors are volunteers who will have personal commitments too. That said, if a wait in excess of c 6 weeks is foreseen, we usually offer them an introductory assessment drive with tips to give them something to work on.

As for the Roadcraft DVD, although good, a new version is due out on 29 Aug along with the revised Roadcraft books.

Ex Senior Obs
now RoADAR Training Officer and Tutor
8)
superplum

Postby ScoobyChris » Thu May 09, 2013 11:42 am

superplum wrote:As for the Roadcraft DVD, although good, a new version is due out on 29 Aug along with the revised Roadcraft books.

Has that been confirmed? My understanding is that the new Roadcraft book would be published then, but they are still seeking sponsorship to make a new DVD:

http://www.police-foundation.org.uk/projects/roadcraft wrote:The Foundation will be publishing new editions of Roadcraft and Motorcycle Roadcraft in August 2013. We are seeking a corporate partner who shares the Police Foundation's vision and enthusiasm and would be interested in sponsoring associated Roadcraft and Motorcycle Roadcraft materials (including a DVD).

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby DamianJ » Thu May 09, 2013 7:55 pm

superplum wrote:Waiting time will always be dependent on group resources (no. of tutors and availability). "We" always make it clear to associates that all our tutors are volunteers who will have personal commitments too. That said, if a wait in excess of c 6 weeks is foreseen, we usually offer them an introductory assessment drive with tips to give them something to work on.

As for the Roadcraft DVD, although good, a new version is due out on 29 Aug along with the revised Roadcraft books.

Ex Senior Obs
now RoADAR Training Officer and Tutor
8)

I understand that all the tutors are volunteers etc. I was initially told a while ago when I first joined that it would be around a 6 weeks wait for a tutor. The last time I spoke to the training officer an assessment drive was mentioned, but I've heard nothing from a tutor about it since.

I'd heard about the new book, might wait to see if the DVD is released too. Thanks
DamianJ

Return to Advanced Driving Forum