4 differet tyres

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby Standard Dave » Mon May 13, 2013 4:31 pm

I had cause to look at a vehicle which had four different make and model of tyres fitted and therefore four different tread patterns. They were all radial so not illegal.

I'm wondering however what type of tyre fitter or fleet manager would think that's a good idea?

I can't help thinking that the tyres will wear at different rates, have a slightly different compound and behave slightly differently on wet or slippery roads.

Anyone know of any research, organisational policies or advice on mixing tyres?
Standard Dave

Postby Gareth » Mon May 13, 2013 4:46 pm

The standard advice seems to be that this is relatively OK. I reckon someone who never pushes the limits of grip would necessarily notice, especially with a reasonably modern car.

My own preference is to at least have the same tyres on each axle, and preferably the same on each corner having felt imbalances when there have been different tyres front and rear.

I suspect many who are cost-conscious will choose to replace single tyres as each one wears out, tho' happily that will normally still mean axle-at-a-time. Where this falls down is if one tyre is replaced mid-life after damage. What gets fitted will probably depend on what is on offer at the tyre fitter.

I've often wondered whether different load ratings across an axle make any discernible difference to handling. Again, this is something I'd prefer to avoid, but I have seen cars with a mixture of normal and extra-load tyres.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby Silk » Tue May 14, 2013 10:29 am

Standard Dave wrote:I had cause to look at a vehicle which had four different make and model of tyres fitted and therefore four different tread patterns. They were all radial so not illegal.

I'm wondering however what type of tyre fitter or fleet manager would think that's a good idea?

I can't help thinking that the tyres will wear at different rates, have a slightly different compound and behave slightly differently on wet or slippery roads.

Anyone know of any research, organisational policies or advice on mixing tyres?

A lot of cars these days are either leased or have fixed cost maintenance packages including tyres. They will usually only replace a tyre at 2mm, so if you have one tyre at 2mm and the rest at 3mm, only one tyre gets changed and it doesn't take long for them to get out of sync - they usually insist that the spare is used to replace one of the worn tyres making things even more complicated. The lease companies also have a habit of changing their prefered brands at a moments notice, so you end up with the scenario described.

I have a fixed cost maintenance plan on my current car as, although I own it, it's a company requirement in order to be able to use my own car for work. I try where possible to make sure the tyres wear evenly, even if this means swapping them around, so I at least get an axle set of the same brand. My last few cars haven't come with a spare, so I usually manage to get all four replaced at the same time with the same brand.

To be honest, I'd rather take care of the tyres myself, but I can understand that the company don't want to be in the situation where employees are driving around in an illegal car or refuse to go to work clamining they can't afford to replace their tyres.

I realise there will be some on here who will look on in horror and insist that I should be knocking doors down, insisting that this limit should be increased to 3mm at the very least. But that's the way it is, unfortunately.
Silk

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Tue May 14, 2013 10:43 am

A lot of leasing companies are in bed with a tyre company - ours uses Kwikfit mobile fitters for example. A mobile fitter comes along to the office, goes round the car park inspecting tyres, then people get a message saying "we're going to change some of your tyres, provide your keys". The next day, or the same day, the fitter changes one, two, or as many tyres as necessary with whatever KF have in stock, and goes away. Convenient, but no consumer choice.
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby exportmanuk » Tue May 14, 2013 3:40 pm

Having experienced the difference in grip levels between tyres even having different brands front and rear is something I would avoid.

You don't have to be that near the limit for something else to trip you up, and having tyres on the rear with lower grip than the front on a front wheel drive car can have some interesting results when entering a bend on wet roads.

Now I try to keep the same brand/type all round and the best tyres on the back. New tyres on the back rear tyres moved forwards every change.
exportmanuk

Postby Silk » Tue May 14, 2013 4:04 pm

exportmanuk wrote:Having experienced the difference in grip levels between tyres even having different brands front and rear is something I would avoid.

You don't have to be that near the limit for something else to trip you up, and having tyres on the rear with lower grip than the front on a front wheel drive car can have some interesting results when entering a bend on wet roads.

I'd be interested in knowing in what circumstances you would notice this. I'm not trying to start an argument; I'm genuinely interested, having never experienced it myself.

exportmanuk wrote:Now I try to keep the same brand/type all round and the best tyres on the back. New tyres on the back rear tyres moved forwards every change.

I like to have the same tyres all round, but it's more for cosmetic reasons than anything else, if I'm honest. Also, a lot of tyre fitters don't like to swap wheels around unless you pick a quiet day, especially if the bill is being paid on account, and I don't trust in my own abilities, taking the view that a loose wheel nut is potentially more of a problem than a small difference in grip.
Silk

Postby Silk » Tue May 14, 2013 4:18 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:A lot of leasing companies are in bed with a tyre company - ours uses Kwikfit mobile fitters for example. A mobile fitter comes along to the office, goes round the car park inspecting tyres, then people get a message saying "we're going to change some of your tyres, provide your keys". The next day, or the same day, the fitter changes one, two, or as many tyres as necessary with whatever KF have in stock, and goes away. Convenient, but no consumer choice.

They also tend to base their charges on a worst case scenario. Meaning, if you're someone who doesn't get through tyres quickly, it's not cost effective. They usually calculate the charges based on a full tyre change every 20,000 miles. I can usually double that as my driving is mainly on motorways, meaning it can be an expensive option, but rules is rules.
Silk

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Tue May 14, 2013 5:40 pm

Silk wrote:
exportmanuk wrote:Having experienced the difference in grip levels between tyres even having different brands front and rear is something I would avoid.

I'd be interested in knowing in what circumstances you would notice this. I'm not trying to start an argument; I'm genuinely interested, having never experienced it myself.

<nods> Been there :roll: :shock:

Cheapo ditchfinders* on my first Octavia - went into a roundabout a bit enthusiastically in the wet, found myself a few seconds later facing back the way I'd come. Luckily everyone else just sat tight and watched my antics. In my defence, the tyres were on the car when I bought it. I didn't wait much longer before changing them after that.

* (some were Roadhogs, the others were Star Performers (should have sued them under the Trades Descriptions Act :)))
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Silk » Tue May 14, 2013 5:52 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:
Silk wrote:I'd be interested in knowing in what circumstances you would notice this. I'm not trying to start an argument; I'm genuinely interested, having never experienced it myself.

<nods> Been there :roll: :shock:

Cheapo ditchfinders* on my first Octavia - went into a roundabout a bit enthusiastically in the wet, found myself a few seconds later facing back the way I'd come. Luckily everyone else just sat tight and watched my antics. In my defence, the tyres were on the car when I bought it. I didn't wait much longer before changing them after that.

* (some were Roadhogs, the others were Star Performers (should have sued them under the Trades Descriptions Act :)))

Of course, the question I'm going to ask now is: would it still have happened if you had a new set of premium branded tyres fitted?
Silk

Postby exportmanuk » Tue May 14, 2013 8:43 pm

Silk wrote:

I had a Mondeo that I had been driving for some time, I had replace the rear tyres but being a bit skint at the time with a cheaper but promoted as a reputable brand. Normally going a little to hot into a corner would result in under-steer however on a particular day driving down a wet road at a reasonable speed for the conditions the back broke away on a bend placing me in a field luckily only damage was a knackered tyre and the tracking a bit out of kilter. Got both of them sorted same day, and put it down to the road and my stupidity. About a month later a similar thing happened on a wet road whilst cornering at quite a low speed but on a polished surface ( A road which takes a lot of HGV container trailers turning tightly) this time I did not do any damage. Changed the tyres very shortly after for the same brand as the front and found I had under-steer again. ( I tested it out on the same piece of polished road)
exportmanuk

Postby christopherwk » Tue May 14, 2013 9:39 pm

I drove a loan car which had two tyres from two different manufacturers on the same side of the car (rather than on the same axle) - Dunlops on one side, and Continentals on the other.
christopherwk

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Tue May 14, 2013 9:44 pm

Silk wrote:
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:...ditchfinders...

Of course, the question I'm going to ask now is: would it still have happened if you had a new set of premium branded tyres fitted?

Put it this way, after I changed (and I don't buy premium tyres, normally mid-range - I think the next ones were Kumhos), I never experienced anything similar again, either on road or track.
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Silk » Tue May 14, 2013 10:31 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:
Silk wrote:
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:...ditchfinders...

Put it this way, after I changed (and I don't buy premium tyres, normally mid-range - I think the next ones were Kumhos), I never experienced anything similar again, either on road or track.

Is it not possible that you simply learnt to take things a bit easier? :?

I can usually tell the difference between tyres if I change brand, but it tends to be limited to whether the ride is harder or softer or they are more or less noisy. I'm also convinced that the new tyres on my current car use less fuel than the older ones, but that may have more to do with the change of season. I suppose what I'm trying to say is, I'm not entirely convinced there is much of a difference in safety between one brand and another - at least not in normal driving. Although I'm the first to admit I'm not the "sportiest" of drivers, so that may have something to do with it. :lol:
Silk

Postby Standard Dave » Wed May 15, 2013 11:37 am

I'd noticed a difference in Goodyear Eagle NCT5 and Goodyear ecosave on the cars we drive at work, so much so I put a health and safety near miss form in about the performance in the snow.

They incidentally have a matching set of 4 tyres at all times if for any reason they can't they are limited to driving to and from base station and tyre fitter at normal road speed.
Standard Dave

Postby Gareth » Wed May 15, 2013 12:12 pm

Standard Dave wrote:I'd noticed a difference in Goodyear Eagle NCT5 and Goodyear ecosave on the cars we drive at work

Roughly how often are tyres replaced due to wear? I'd imagine the cars are worked quite hard and get though multiple sets a year. If so it seems to me it'd make sense if sets of normal, all season or winter tyres were fitted depending on the time of year.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Next

Return to Advanced Driving Forum