Test criteria IAM.

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby Kimosabe » Thu May 16, 2013 10:18 am

I have just applied for my IAM test and cannot find any reference to the marking system and criteria used. Perhaps marking sheets and self-assessment questions should be given to everyone who joins the IAM. I would expect it to be not too far off the Roadar test criteria but would like to see it anyway.

http://www.roadar.org/drivers/info/car- ... e-2012.pdf
A wise man once told me that "it depends". I sometimes agree.
Kimosabe

Postby trashbat » Thu May 16, 2013 11:03 am

I can probably find my assessment sheet if it helps you. It won't though - it's a great big set of the obvious, some of which weren't actually tested (no parking, for instance)
Rob - IAM F1RST, Alfa Romeo 156 JTS
trashbat

Postby Slink_Pink » Thu May 16, 2013 11:13 am

When you get your tutor, they'll use a test marking sheet to score some of your drives. Essentially it's 1-6 score in each of a number of categories pretty similar to RoADAR ones.
Q: "Need I remind you, 007, that you have a license to kill, not to break the traffic laws."
Slink_Pink

Postby trashbat » Thu May 16, 2013 11:19 am

Slink_Pink wrote:When you get your tutor, they'll use a test marking sheet to score some of your drives. Essentially it's 1-6 score in each of a number of categories pretty similar to RoADAR ones.

I never had this. There were observed run report sheets, but I only saw the marking sheet on test.
trashbat

Postby Slink_Pink » Thu May 16, 2013 11:24 am

Didn't realise they were different. Ones I had was a table with categories in column 1; columns 2-7 containing grades so effectively providing a score. I'll try to dig one out and scan it if I can find it and remember!
Q: "Need I remind you, 007, that you have a license to kill, not to break the traffic laws."
Slink_Pink

Postby ScoobyChris » Thu May 16, 2013 11:31 am

Slink_Pink wrote:Didn't realise they were different. Ones I had was a table with categories in column 1; columns 2-7 containing grades so effectively providing a score. I'll try to dig one out and scan it if I can find it and remember!

Think it varies group to group. When I did mine, the group produced their own version of the examiner's sheet for the purposes of the observed runs which included all the components (and a box to score it 1-6, and a comment box to summarise the drive.

As for what you need to do for the test, did you have a mock test with one of the senior observers?

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby hir » Thu May 16, 2013 1:11 pm

Kimosabe wrote:I have just applied for my IAM test and cannot find any reference to the marking system and criteria used. Perhaps marking sheets and self-assessment questions should be given to everyone who joins the IAM.

Don't worry too much about marking sheets and self-assessment questions... it's a practical test of your driving skills. The examiner will be asking himself... is the drive Safe, Systematic, Smooth and at an appropriate Speed, and, oh yes, is it Legal?
hir

Postby Horse » Thu May 16, 2013 1:45 pm

Kimosabe wrote:I have just applied for my IAM test and cannot find any reference to the marking system and criteria used. Perhaps marking sheets and self-assessment questions should be given to everyone who joins the IAM.

Better still, you (and everyone else!) should be aware of what is expected to achieve a high or acceptable mark. If that doesn't happne, how are you supposed to either practice in your own time and maintain standards (or improve further) post-test? :?: :x :roll:

NB, K, not asking you, I'm effectively asking your IAM group and your Observer :|
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby Kimosabe » Thu May 16, 2013 6:52 pm

I have another drive booked with my observer next week and i will be sure to ask him. Not sure why standardised marking isn't just a matter of course and I'm sure I'm not the first to ask. Are we certain no such thing exists within the IAM? Seems unlikely to me or else how are observers trained?

Yesterday, my observer used a standardised marking sheet/chart and I scored mostly 1s and 2s. Not sure if he said it was group generated or IAM generated. I I will get a copy of it from him next week.

Aside from the subjectivity of judging various shades of grey, it occurred to me that as L drivers have standardised theory and practical tests, why don't we? How is it possible to take mock tests, to see how the best drivers, according to 'the system', drive or to have any way of changing observers or groups while being able to show the new observer the areas which require specific focus etc etc without standardised marking?

The plot thinnens...
Kimosabe

Postby WhoseGeneration » Thu May 16, 2013 9:24 pm

Kimosabe wrote:I have another drive booked with my observer next week and i will be sure to ask him. Not sure why standardised marking isn't just a matter of course and I'm sure I'm not the first to ask. Are we certain no such thing exists within the IAM? Seems unlikely to me or else how are observers trained?

Yesterday, my observer used a standardised marking sheet/chart and I scored mostly 1s and 2s. Not sure if he said it was group generated or IAM generated. I I will get a copy of it from him next week.

Aside from the subjectivity of judging various shades of grey, it occurred to me that as L drivers have standardised theory and practical tests, why don't we? How is it possible to take mock tests, to see how the best drivers, according to 'the system', drive or to have any way of changing observers or groups while being able to show the new observer the areas which require specific focus etc etc without standardised marking?

The plot thinnens...

Because what you're talking about here is Humans judging other Humans in a dynamic situation.

Let me give you an example from my time as an IAM Observer. One of my Associates on her test executed a safe overtake before a 30 limit, however another following also overtook, so, for safety, she had to enter the 30 limit above 30.

My Associate met the required standard for IAM membership, her Examiner, a serving Police Traffic Officer saying he understood why she had to enter that 30 above the limit.

An absolute, standardised marking system would mean a fail for exceeding a 30 limit. That is where the AD tests might differ from the DVLA one.

Mock tests?, again from my time, another Observer asked me to do one because his Associate was asking why she hadn't yet been entered for test. So out we go and I confirm his opinion that she is not yet ready for test. Again that was about Human interaction.

My wife does exam marking, before marking she has to undertake a standardisation process with a senior examiner using a selection of answered papers. Note, already answered papers.

Your AD driving test will not be like any written test, you will have to be able to "answer" the questions in sight of the examiner and demonstrate the ability to anticipate the questions.

Chill and relax, you'll do well as long as you understand the basic points of AD.
Last edited by WhoseGeneration on Thu May 16, 2013 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Always a commentary, spoken or not.
Keeps one safe. One hopes.
WhoseGeneration

Postby trashbat » Thu May 16, 2013 9:43 pm

Here's the assessment sheet from my test.

http://i42.tinypic.com/osg11d.jpg

Like I said, common sense, and don't read too much into it.
trashbat

Postby martine » Fri May 17, 2013 7:36 am

trashbat wrote:Here's the assessment sheet from my test.

Wow...impressive trashbat...how long ago was that and what have you done since?
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby trashbat » Fri May 17, 2013 7:44 am

martine wrote:
trashbat wrote:Here's the assessment sheet from my test.

Wow...impressive trashbat...how long ago was that and what have you done since?

August 2012.

Since then, just a couple of ADUK days and an extra observed run with an IAM & HPC chap, but there's no money for HPC if indeed I thought it was what I wanted.

I also tried becoming a local group observer after passing, but not enough associates at the time; asked again this week and it's being considered.
trashbat

Postby Gareth » Fri May 17, 2013 7:58 am

Horse wrote:Better still, you (and everyone else!) should be aware of what is expected to achieve a high or acceptable mark. If that doesn't happne, how are you supposed to either practice in your own time and maintain standards (or improve further) post-test?

This is where the HTB... books are a useful resource with their many highlighted text boxes explaining what the examiner looks for. It's not beyond the wit of most IAM associates to actually read the book, to try to understand the requirements, and to ask their observer if there are any points that are confusing.

Of course associates could also try asking here, but they run the risk of getting multiple answers in more depth than might be necessary for the purpose of developing enough of an understanding to achieve the standard required to pass the IAM test.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby Kimosabe » Fri May 17, 2013 8:12 am

Found this:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2473&start=45

Thanks for your support and thoughtful responses guys.

For (and on) the record ;), I am relaxed and chilled. I can't imagine not passing the IAM test but I have this desire to perfectly understand any new information I'm given and what with also recently finding out about the F1rst and Gold awards, they are now my goal. Should I not make those grades (from what I've read it doesn't seem likely but that's no reason not to try), I will then know that I gave it my best shot and that will be good enough despite any grade I get. "Aim high" and all that...

Right, I really must plant the strawberrys before my next client arrives.

EDIT: Gareth, HTB?
Kimosabe

Next

Return to Advanced Driving Forum