Commentary Driving could be dangerous.

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby GJD » Mon May 20, 2013 11:53 am

Hiijinx wrote:I've always found commentary a good way to keep your mind focused on the road ahead, spotting hazards much earlier

I agree. I find that hearing myself talk about what I am seeing and planning emphasises instances where I saw something later than I could have done or had to react to something unexpected that I could have anticipated better.
GJD

Postby fungus » Mon May 20, 2013 8:26 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:I've posted in another thread some YouTube clips of Japanese Shinkansen drivers. They are trained not only to verbalise hazards (in their case signals) but to point at them. This is intended to reinforce the act of seeing the signal and ensure the correct reaction. The train dispatchers on the platforms do something similar. As they check up and down the train for hazards (people) they point in both directions, before blowing their whistle or waving their "clear to go" baton.

There was a program a few months ago about a young lady Shinkansen driver. She would point and verbalise whilst carrying out a cockpit drill.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby kfae8959 » Tue May 21, 2013 1:49 pm

JamesAllport wrote:Stefan Einz posted some commentary video on this forum which I can't currently find by searching for it, but that exemplifies the style that I admire and think works well.

I think you're thinking of these, and I also commend them. (I understand that the speed display on the screen is in fact reading kph, although it is labelled "mph".)

David
"A man's life in these parts often depends on a mere scrap of information"
kfae8959

Postby JamesAllport » Tue May 21, 2013 6:41 pm

Thank you! Those are they.

And thank you also to Kimosabe for a great drive this afternoon and for putting up with my coaching and navigation...
Only two things matter: attitude & entry speeds.
JamesAllport

Postby Hiijinx » Thu May 23, 2013 2:37 pm

JamesAllport wrote:
And thank you also to Kimosabe for a great drive this afternoon and for putting up with my coaching and navigation...

Indeed, I must have gone out with him just after yourself and agree it was a very enjoyable, smooth and well planned drive, unlike the map reading on my part ( glad to see it not just me! They really shod include some map reading in the L test).

It was the first time I have ridden in a 4x4 without getting out feeling shaken about. :lol:

Best of luck on the test bud :wink:
Hiijinx

Postby Kimosabe » Thu May 23, 2013 5:57 pm

Hiijinx wrote:
JamesAllport wrote:

Indeed, I must have gone out with him just after yourself and agree it was a very enjoyable, smooth and well planned drive, unlike the map reading on my part ( glad to see it not just me! They really shod include some map reading in the L test).

It was the first time I have ridden in a 4x4 without getting out feeling shaken about. :lol:

Best of luck on the test bud :wink:
[quote="JamesAllport"]

Guys, your help and support was and still is invaluable. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with me. I really enjoyed the drives and it was only that very evening when I found out about my test booking date. Pretty good timing eh? Just so you know, I didn't assume that it would be okay to openly mention that we had been for drives until you had, because some people prefer anonymity and I respect that.

I believe that I have canvassed enough independent and qualified opinions (six people so far all IAM,RoSPA,HPC qualified respectively) to know that I am able to pass the IAM test by local standards. At the point of my test, I know that I will have asked all the questions I had to ask and received all the answers to them and have been on as many drives with as many people as I could, so all that remains is for me to take the test and to continue until satisfied that i'm the best driver I can be.
A wise man once told me that "it depends". I sometimes agree.
Kimosabe

Postby clearestimage » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:55 am

I think everyone has had their fair share of what I call directional dyslexia at one stage or another. A harmless condition where left becomes right and vice versa. I find the best cure is just to give it a rest for a few minutes and then start again.

I gained my first advanced driving qualification back in 1993 and since then I have done seven RoSPA tests, the last five with commentary at various stages throughout test duration. I found that progressing naturally into a commentary from the initial verbal cockpit drill helped to focus my concentration and conquer any anxieties I had.

Whether commentary driving is dangerous is largely a personal matter. Some will find it easier than others. Safety is paramount of course and if a commentary seems to be detracting from the drive in a negative way then clearly it is time to stop.

Whenever I am out with an associate I fully respect any expressed wish not to do commentary. At the same time though I think any RoSPA candidate aiming for gold should be able to manage a good standard of commentary. In my view it is one of the most effective methods of self training. If I find myself feeling even slightly tired or fatigued a period of commentary driving can help to refocus the mind. I also find it quite effective when training associates who are a little heavy on the right pedal or who have a tendency to let their concentration wander a bit during the drive.

I was taught commentary driving one day by a friend who is both a RoSPA and HPC member. He gave me a copy of a police training video of a very full-on commentary style and told me to watch it over and over again. After wearing the tape out we went out for a two hour intensive drive during which I did a commentary on and off throughout. By the end I was exhausted but I could definitely do very good commentaries..
Approved Car Tutor with RoSPA ADAR.
clearestimage

Postby Hevipedal » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:25 pm

Surely if giving commentary makes you slow down that just means you were driving too fast for the conditions......
Noting hazards out loud as they appear, as bullet points, should mean you take notice of the hazard. If there are so many hazards you haven't got time to fit them in to commentary, you need to slow down.
Hevipedal

Postby 7db » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:40 pm

I disagree. Try reading outloud the numberplates of every car you pass. It takes time. It's got nothing to do with whether there's time to observe anticipate and plan.
7db

Postby jcochrane » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:46 pm

7db wrote:I disagree. Try reading outloud the numberplates of every car you pass. It takes time. It's got nothing to do with whether there's time to observe anticipate and plan.

I'm with you on this, 7db.
jcochrane

Location: East Surrey and wherever good driving roads can be found.

Postby waremark » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:00 am

jcochrane wrote:
7db wrote:I disagree. Try reading outloud the numberplates of every car you pass. It takes time. It's got nothing to do with whether there's time to observe anticipate and plan.

+ 2

And for many drivers giving commentary requires a level of conscious thought which detracts from their driving ability, hence the need to slow down.
waremark

Postby TripleS » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:57 pm

waremark wrote:
jcochrane wrote:

+ 2

And for many drivers giving commentary requires a level of conscious thought which detracts from their driving ability, hence the need to slow down.

+3

Sorry, Hevipedal. :wink:

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby lordgrover » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:12 pm

Number plates are hardly hazards though, eh? :wink:
lordgrover

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:24 pm

For me, commentary should do the same as the rest of the driving plan as described in Roadcraft. Observe, prioritise, decide what to do. The commentary should come after the prioritisation, but include the observation, the implication, and the plan for dealing with the implication. As with the mirror thread, I can't see the point of mentioning things which are not relevant.
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Previous

Return to Advanced Driving Forum