"Alcohol sharpens the mind"

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby Kimosabe » Mon May 20, 2013 5:49 pm

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/scie ... finds.html

I wouldn't know if this is true or not but I do know that people who are relaxed have much sharper reactions than people who are not relaxed.
A wise man once told me that "it depends". I sometimes agree.
Kimosabe

Postby michael769 » Mon May 20, 2013 8:24 pm

That's not my experience. I find that relaxed people are much slower to react to change than is someone who is alert and engaged.

I am not sure I buy the idea that something that appears to improve our lateral thinking could be assumed to also improve a practical skill like driving.

Personally I suspect that the results have more do do with alcohols reduction in inhibitions meaning that folks were more willing to take the risk of appeaing daft by answering without delibaration. As we all know taking risks is not what one wants when in control of a 1tonne+ machine.
Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open
Thomas Robert Dewar(1864-1930)
michael769

Postby Slink_Pink » Mon May 20, 2013 8:52 pm

Article wrote:It is thought alcohol hinders analytical thinking and allows 'creative' thoughts that might otherwise by stifled to take root

The question is - is driving more of a creative or analytical skill? I would argue that the analytical process is more in line with driving, especially those of us basing our actions on the system of car control. On that basis, I don't see how anyone could use this arguement in favour of driving whilst having consumed alcohol.
michael769 wrote:Personally I suspect that the results have more do do with alcohols reduction in inhibitions meaning that folks were more willing to take the risk of appeaing daft by answering without delibaration. As we all know taking risks is not what one wants when in control of a 1tonne+ machine.
+1
Q: "Need I remind you, 007, that you have a license to kill, not to break the traffic laws."
Slink_Pink

Postby fungus » Mon May 20, 2013 9:21 pm

It certainly wasn't my experience after only one 500ml bottle of Old Crafty Hen yesterday. :P
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby Kimosabe » Mon May 20, 2013 9:42 pm

It's a common misconception (and this is not an endorsement of drinking alcohol until judgement is impaired) that a tense person will react more quickly to a situation than a relaxed one. It is argued that this is because our subconscious is able to process and respond to more information, more efficiently than our conscious mind.

One way to look at this is if you were just shown something and asked about it, you would recall it faster and more accurately than if you were asked about it years later. Isn't this the reason for why statements are taken as close to the time of an event as possible?

We aren't talking about someone who is relaxed to the point of being dozey, just relaxed.

There are so many reasons to relax yet remain alert when behind the wheel of a car.
Kimosabe

Postby michael769 » Mon May 20, 2013 10:12 pm

Kimosabe wrote:It's a common misconception (and this is not an endorsement of drinking alcohol until judgement is impaired) that a tense person will react more quickly to a situation than a relaxed one.

It is no misconception. Tension and stress are different degrees of the flight or fight response, a biological state specifically evolved to minimize reaction time and maximise our response to danger.

It is argued that this is because our subconscious is able to process and respond to more information, more efficiently than our conscious mind.

True. Stress and tension act to prime the subconsious mind for action - which is why reaction times decrease, so I do not see how this means than being under the influence of alcohol will make us a better driver.

One way to look at this is if you were just shown something and asked about it, you would recall it faster and more accurately than if you were asked about it years later.

This is simply because our short term memory offers faster access than long term memory. Nothing to do with our state of relaxation.

Isn't this the reason for why statements are taken as close to the time of an event as possible?

Actually it is to prevent a phenomena where peoples beliefs and expectations modify their recall over time causing them to generate false memories.

It also denies the guilty or malicious time to come up with a convincing fabrication.

Here is a video of people a bit merry, but below the UK drink driving limit.

My challenge to you: Find something similar that shows people driving better while "a bit merry".
Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open
Thomas Robert Dewar(1864-1930)
michael769

Postby Kimosabe » Mon May 20, 2013 10:39 pm

Hold on while I go and look for the bit where I endorsed drink driving by saying sloshed drivers are better than sober.

Questions should be referred to the author of the article.
Kimosabe

Postby jcochrane » Mon May 20, 2013 11:09 pm

Kimosabe wrote:http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/9197001/Alcohol-sharpens-the-mind-research-finds.html

I wouldn't know if this is true or not but I do know that people who are relaxed have much sharper reactions than people who are not relaxed.

Often I'm described as looking very relaxed at the wheel. Which is true. But in my case so relaxed that I have to ask my passengers to keep an eye on me and if they see my head nod forward to give me a quick dig in the ribs to wake me up. :oops:
jcochrane

Location: East Surrey and wherever good driving roads can be found.

Postby Kimosabe » Mon May 20, 2013 11:10 pm

michael769 wrote:
Kimosabe wrote:It's a common misconception (and this is not an endorsement of drinking alcohol until judgement is impaired) that a tense person will react more quickly to a situation than a relaxed one.

It is no misconception. Tension and stress are different degrees of the flight or fight response, a biological state specifically evolved to minimize reaction time and maximise our response to danger.

Fight-Flight responses are not always correct due to errors of judgement caused by stress and tension. Which is why it would always be better to be driven by a calm person, than a tense one, if you really want to apply black and white thinking to this.

It is argued that this is because our subconscious is able to process and respond to more information, more efficiently than our conscious mind.

True. Stress and tension act to prime the subconsious mind for action - which is why reaction times decrease, so I do not see how this means than being under the influence of alcohol will make us a better driver.

Ask the author of the article.

One way to look at this is if you were just shown something and asked about it, you would recall it faster and more accurately than if you were asked about it years later.

This is simply because our short term memory offers faster access than long term memory. Nothing to do with our state of relaxation.

Stress and Tension affect memory. STM is affected by states of relaxation.

Isn't this the reason for why statements are taken as close to the time of an event as possible?

Actually it is to prevent a phenomena where peoples beliefs and expectations modify their recall over time causing them to generate false memories.

It also denies the guilty or malicious time to come up with a convincing fabrication.

Agreed ...also.

Here is a video of people a bit merry, but below the UK drink driving limit.

My challenge to you: Find something similar that shows people driving better while "a bit merry".

:roll: My challenge to you is to re read what I wrote and to find the part where I wrote drinking alcohol improves driving. Here, would you like the handle you flew off back?
Kimosabe

Postby Gareth » Tue May 21, 2013 5:51 am

michael769 wrote:Find something similar that shows people driving better while "a bit merry".

A very very long time ago, when I used to play on certain pinball machines to while away my time, I consistently found a very small amount of cider, perhaps between a quarter and half a pint, would result in better scores. Drinking more resulted in lower scores than when I was sober.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby trashbat » Tue May 21, 2013 7:18 am

Gareth wrote:
michael769 wrote:Find something similar that shows people driving better while "a bit merry".

A very very long time ago, when I used to play on certain pinball machines to while away my time, I consistently found a very small amount of cider, perhaps between a quarter and half a pint, would result in better scores. Drinking more resulted in lower scores than when I was sober.

The Ballmer Peak.

Rob - IAM F1RST, Alfa Romeo 156 JTS
trashbat

Postby TripleS » Tue May 21, 2013 8:27 am

jcochrane wrote:
Kimosabe wrote:http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/9197001/Alcohol-sharpens-the-mind-research-finds.html

Often I'm described as looking very relaxed at the wheel. Which is true. But in my case so relaxed that I have to ask my passengers to keep an eye on me and if they see my head nod forward to give me a quick dig in the ribs to wake me up. :oops:

Yes, me too. :lol:

I think it's a matter of being quietly confident and comfortable with what we're doing as drivers, though I suspect that feeling may be more justified in your case than mine. Still, if you put in the effort, you deserve some reward. With regard to the more advanced AD, I guess I'm not quite so much of a believer.
TripleS

Postby TR4ffic » Tue May 21, 2013 9:20 am

IMHO, it may indeed be the case that someone who is tense and stressed will react quicker (heightened fight or flight) but they may not make the correct/best decision to extricate themselves from the situation they're in.

The best option may be the one that takes a bit longer to come up with... That's where being relaxed, confident and in control come in.

Drivers who are not confident, are tense and stressed make bad snap decisions.

It may be that a small amount of alcohol does reduce the feelings of being tense and/or stressed (who doesn't enjoy a drink on a Friday evening after a stressful week) but that's not the same a sharpening the mind.

An interesting article and piece of research, they've got the results, but I think they've come to the wrong conclusion.
Riveting – The most fascinating job you could ever have..!

Nick
IAM Member since 1985
TR4ffic

Postby 7db » Tue May 21, 2013 10:49 am

I recall a study which showed drivers performed a little better with alcohol on board (on track etc). It's not widely publicised, understandably, and I can't be bothered to dig it out.

Suffice to say alcohol in any reasonable quantity impairs performance in ways which are hard for the performer to detect and reduces control. It doesn't mix well with driving.
7db

Postby GJD » Tue May 21, 2013 12:13 pm

Gareth wrote:A very very long time ago, when I used to play on certain pinball machines to while away my time, I consistently found a very small amount of cider, perhaps between a quarter and half a pint, would result in better scores. Drinking more resulted in lower scores than when I was sober.

I used to experience similar playing pool. Somewhere during the first pint I'd be at my least rubbish.

On the other hand, I also used to play badminton and one on occasion a pint with my dinner about an hour before playing affected me significantly. By the time I was playing, I couldn't feel any effect at all from the alcohol and I didn't feel my reactions were any slower than normal, but the fine control of the racquet head and precise timing just wasn't there.
GJD

Next

Return to Advanced Driving Forum