Telematics monitoring your car

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby dombooth » Wed May 22, 2013 10:34 am

My thoughts: Absolutely crap.

The minutest bit of decent acceleration or braking is severely frowned upon.

When I had one from Insure The Box you could get 'up to' 100 bonus miles per month if you drove 'good'*.

One month I went on an IAM Observer training day and an IAM Special Assessment training day with the Region 4 Training team. I got 0 bonus points for that month. They said it was far too fast round bends, too much acceleration and braking.

*Their definition and the IAM's definition of good driving are very different.

Dom
Dominic Booth
Chesterfield IAM Chairman & Webmaster
IAM F1RST & RoADAR Gold

ALL OF MY POSTS ARE OF MY OPINION ONLY AND NOT THAT OF MY GROUP UNLESS OTHERWISE STATED.
dombooth

Postby exportmanuk » Wed May 22, 2013 10:59 am

If things carry on like this we will end up paying more insurance for being " Advanced Drivers"
exportmanuk

Postby jont » Wed May 22, 2013 11:03 am

exportmanuk wrote:If things carry on like this we will end up paying more insurance for being " Advanced Drivers"

Unless insurers collect enough data that shows "advanced" driving results in a lower claims rate.
jont

Postby michael769 » Wed May 22, 2013 11:44 am

jont wrote:
exportmanuk wrote:If things carry on like this we will end up paying more insurance for being " Advanced Drivers"

Unless insurers collect enough data that shows "advanced" driving results in a lower claims rate.

Problem is that telematics cannot measure observation or planning.

A manner of driving that is perfectly safe with appropriate levels of both, could well be rather dangerous if adopted by those drivers we encounter every day who seem to be driving in their own little dream world.

My fear is that telematics "view" of the world will be optimized to fit the less attentive and/or competent driver. There is alas in increasing desire for "easy answer" one size fits all solutions to road safety. :(
Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open
Thomas Robert Dewar(1864-1930)
michael769

Postby jont » Wed May 22, 2013 11:46 am

michael769 wrote:My fear is that telematics "view" of the world will be optimized to fit the less attentive and/or competent driver. There is alas in increasing desire for "easy answer" one size fits all solutions to road safety. :(

One size fits all would be fine, but the size that seems to have been chosen is the lowest common denominator :(
jont

Postby Slink_Pink » Wed May 22, 2013 12:49 pm

So long until a condition of passing a DSA test is a "good" drive from one of these units?

Edited to add:
In addition to the rest of the test I mean.
Q: "Need I remind you, 007, that you have a license to kill, not to break the traffic laws."
Slink_Pink

Postby WhoseGeneration » Wed May 22, 2013 9:19 pm

dombooth wrote:My thoughts: Absolutely crap.

When I had one from Insure The Box you could get 'up to' 100 bonus miles per month if you drove 'good'*.

One month I went on an IAM Observer training day and an IAM Special Assessment training day with the Region 4 Training team. I got 0 bonus points for that month. They said it was far too fast round bends, too much acceleration and braking.

Dom

Here we have an example of what I consider the negative side of the digital world.
Call me a Luddite or a TFHer but this technology is slowly enslaving all of us, via politics and the corporate world.
You will have no choice as to how you will behave, it will be decided for you.
Always a commentary, spoken or not.
Keeps one safe. One hopes.
WhoseGeneration

Postby TripleS » Thu May 23, 2013 7:44 am

WhoseGeneration wrote:

Dom

Here we have an example of what I consider the negative side of the digital world.
Call me a Luddite or a TFHer but this technology is slowly enslaving all of us, via politics and the corporate world.

....until such time as a sufficient number of ordinary members of the public, acting as private individuals (i.e. not politicians nor wearing corporate hats), decide that this is not what we want our lives to be like, and there is a backlash against it. I don't expect this will happen soon; but I think it could happen at some point if present trends continue.
TripleS

Postby dombooth » Thu May 23, 2013 10:46 am

WhoseGeneration wrote:

Dom

Yep, driving by predefined limits of acceleration, braking and cornering isn't right. It depends on what the driver can see (or doesn't see), not what a black box deems as harsh acceleration.

Dom
Dominic Booth
Chesterfield IAM Chairman & Webmaster
IAM F1RST & RoADAR Gold

ALL OF MY POSTS ARE OF MY OPINION ONLY AND NOT THAT OF MY GROUP UNLESS OTHERWISE STATED.
dombooth

Postby IanB » Thu May 23, 2013 12:15 pm

dombooth wrote:One month I went on an IAM Observer training day and an IAM Special Assessment training day .................They said it was far too fast round bends, too much acceleration and braking.

Dom

The cornering and acceleration I can understand but not the braking. I'm wondering if they teach a different style for Masters/SA in your region. I wouldn't expect much firm braking on a drive at Masters level, at least that is how I am being mentored. In general, (there are obviously exceptions) if I have to brake to slow for a bend I'm deemed to have misjudged the approach. Is it different down South?
IanB

Postby jont » Thu May 23, 2013 12:30 pm

IanB wrote:I wouldn't expect much firm braking on a drive at Masters level, at least that is how I am being mentored. In general, (there are obviously exceptions) if I have to brake to slow for a bend I'm deemed to have misjudged the approach. Is it different down South?

<waits for those who have done the test to arrive>
This was one of my reluctances to bother with Masters. It was described to me (by an IAM examiner) as being a class 1 drive without the speed limit exemptions. Having seen some class 1 drives, I'd be expecting to approach hazards at as high a speed as safe, then brake /very/ firmly into them to keep the average speed up for as long as possible. I couldn't reconcile this with what I thought IAM would actually be looking for in a "masters" drive.
jont

Postby TR4ffic » Thu May 23, 2013 1:19 pm

...if I have to brake to slow for a bend I'm deemed to have misjudged the approach

I'm sorry, but IMO this seems an awfully odd approach to AD..! Since when aren’t we supposed to be using brakes? Travelling along a good road at or near NSL, how long is it going to take you to get rid of 40 odd mph to take a tight-ish bend? I don’t think the traffic behind would be very pleased…

A daft idea
Riveting – The most fascinating job you could ever have..!

Nick
IAM Member since 1985
TR4ffic

Postby Ancient » Thu May 23, 2013 1:22 pm

IanB wrote:
dombooth wrote:One month I went on an IAM Observer training day and an IAM Special Assessment training day .................They said it was far too fast round bends, too much acceleration and braking.

Dom

The cornering and acceleration I can understand but not the braking. I'm wondering if they teach a different style for Masters/SA in your region. I wouldn't expect much firm braking on a drive at Masters level, at least that is how I am being mentored. In general, (there are obviously exceptions) if I have to brake to slow for a bend I'm deemed to have misjudged the approach. Is it different down South?

I think Dom is talking about the telemetics from from Insure The Box when he said this, rather than Masters/SA. It helps to have the whole quote in context perhaps:

Dom
Ancient

Postby IanB » Thu May 23, 2013 1:41 pm

TR4ffic wrote:
...if I have to brake to slow for a bend I'm deemed to have misjudged the approach

I'm sorry, but IMO this seems an awfully odd approach to AD..! Since when aren’t we supposed to be using brakes? Travelling along a good road at or near NSL, how long is it going to take you to get rid of 40 odd mph to take a tight-ish bend? I don’t think the traffic behind would be very pleased…

A daft idea

Hence the reason why I wrote "There are obvious exceptions"
In this case you would be braking to aid deceleration, rather than to overcome excess acceleration which you had applied through misjudgement.
IanB

Postby IanB » Thu May 23, 2013 1:44 pm

Ancient wrote:
IanB wrote:

Dom

I think Dom is talking about the telemetics from from Insure The Box when he said this, rather than Masters/SA. It helps to have the whole quote in context perhaps:

Dom

Yes I think I understood what Dom was saying. I just got the impression that in his region, rather more and firm use of the brakes would be expected on a Masters/SA drive than in mine. He'll no doubt be along to clarify.
IanB

PreviousNext

Return to Advanced Driving Forum