Emergency Services & Blind Bends

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby Silk » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:32 pm

TripleS wrote:
Ralge wrote:Fourth (and last) exemption for ES drivers is driving on hard shoulder.

Yes, quite so!

3:40 - 3:45.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RA_sIO8P6DM

My biggest worry would be debris on the hard shoulder at those kinds of speeds. Am I the only one who thinks the Police were a bit reckless in that video? It's not as if the driver of the "bandit" car had anywhere to go - it only encourages the fool to drive even faster in order to try to get away. Why not simply set up a road block? Good driving, possibly; but necessary? I think not.

Driving on the hard shoulder in order to pass stationary traffic on the way to an incident is one thing, but over 120mph? :shock:
Silk

Postby Standard Dave » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:49 pm

Setting up a road block requires chief officer rank approval the chances of that are small to none.
Standard Dave

Postby WhoseGeneration » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:57 pm

How has that video got into the public domain without context?
Always a commentary, spoken or not.
Keeps one safe. One hopes.
WhoseGeneration

Postby Silk » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:25 pm

WhoseGeneration wrote:How has that video got into the public domain without context?

Heads will roll! :lol:
Silk

Postby TripleS » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:20 pm

Silk wrote:
TripleS wrote:
Ralge wrote:Fourth (and last) exemption for ES drivers is driving on hard shoulder.

Yes, quite so!

3:40 - 3:45.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RA_sIO8P6DM

My biggest worry would be debris on the hard shoulder at those kinds of speeds. Am I the only one who thinks the Police were a bit reckless in that video? It's not as if the driver of the "bandit" car had anywhere to go - it only encourages the fool to drive even faster in order to try to get away. Why not simply set up a road block? Good driving, possibly; but necessary? I think not.

Driving on the hard shoulder in order to pass stationary traffic on the way to an incident is one thing, but over 120mph? :shock:

Indeed, and in wet conditions too.

I've repeatedly said that I'm a great admirer of the talents of police advanced drivers, but parts of that clip made me distinctly uncomfortable. I'm not sure there was adequate stopping distance available at all times.
TripleS

Postby apple tango » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:09 am

This has happened to me before - windy country lane with double white lines and a police car closing behind me. I considered the visibility was too poor for them to safely overtake even if I was stopped, so I kept going at a safe speed and making as much progress as I could. The police car held back with just blues on so I took this as a confirmation that is what he wanted me to do.

As soon as the visibility improved I signalled, slowed down and pulled in to the side. As I was doing this the police car started to close in and put the sirens back on as well.

I think it's important with this kind of scenario to consider what will maximise their progress. Although they have the training, experience and tools to make progress, to stop at an inappropriate time will actually hinder them as they then need to stop as well.
Alex
apple tango

Previous

Return to Advanced Driving Forum