Dont be dumb...use lane 1

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby Darren » Sat Oct 01, 2005 2:16 pm

How about a campaign to encourage good lane discipline on motorways? I used to travel 400 mile round trips quite a lot and the majority of traffic jams I found where from people not returning to lane 1 when it's not in use and they are able to do so. This forces people into lane 3, and clogging up the motorway.

Any ideas for slogans?
Darren

Postby Roadcraft » Sat Oct 01, 2005 4:24 pm

The muppets wont remember them....

I stopped a middle lane hogger the other week on the motorway...who had driven past 2 x VMB (variable message boards)...each displaying USE LEFT LANE UNLESS OVERTAKING...

They're muppets...pure and simple....

the kind of people that have electric radios in the bathroom...etc..

Their entire lives are as botched up, disorganised and irresponsible...I'm sure.. :x
Roadcraft

Postby jibberjabber25 » Sun Oct 02, 2005 4:17 pm

Sorry, I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I thought it would be better than starting a new one...I haven't been observed yet, so please excuse my quite basic questions.

I drive on a dual-carriageway called the A2 for many miles almost everyday...

The left lane for a lot of the journey is indicated as "LOCAL TRAFFIC ONLY" with a left turn arrow on it.

Does this mean that it is acceptable to use the middle lane when there is this local lane as the left lane?

I use the middle lane when there is this sign and also I try to use the middle lane when there is traffic entering the dual carriageway to keep the left hand lane free for them, but I return to the left hand lane when I can and then there is no marking for local traffic.

Is this OK?

Oh, yes, and also the right hand lane is full of nutters doing 100mph+ and this is a problem to me when the middle lane is slow moving and I try to stay away from the right hand lane, but sometimes I have to use it to overtake.

I find a suitable gap, get over there (right hand lane), get my speed up to 70mph if possible (unless traffic is moving slower) and then before I can safely get back to the middle lane there is someone right up my backside (very very close) flashing their headlights at me.

I return to the middle lane when it is safe, and then they speed down the right hand lane like a bullet... This is quite intimidating to me as a new driver so I am now pretty much scared of using the right-hand lane.

Thanks.
IAM Qualified Observer
jibberjabber25

Postby Roadcraft » Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:33 pm

If the white lines...differentiate the local lane from the other two...then middle lane hogging is ok there....

but not before...ie: 5 mile down the road..
Roadcraft

Postby AdamW » Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:22 pm

Safety1st wrote:
They're muppets...pure and simple....

I agree whole heartdly.
They think they know it all and because they've not had an accident in years that they are right. . :evil:
AdamW

Postby AdamW » Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:23 pm

Safety1st wrote:
the kind of people that have electric radios in the bathroom...etc..

I think you taking your work home and it's starting to get on top of you! :lol:
AdamW

Return to Advanced Driving Forum