Applying the system

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby Lady Godiva » Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:27 pm

hpcdriver wrote:
TripleS wrote:the way IAM people drive - certainly to meet their test standard - seems to me untypical of how they are likely to drive generally.

and

My problem is that the IAM way is too stuffy about some details that really do not matter that much. Steering is an example of this, but we've been through that previously. They are too prescriptive, and relaxing some of their demands would not be detrimental IMHO. Indeed it might encourage more people to join the IAM, and on balance that would be better.

It was good to meet you today Dave, and to put a face to the name. Thanks for coming so far.

IAM is more flexible than you believe, so long as the drive is safe, systematic (and the interpretation of systematic can be flexible), smooth and at a suitable speed. Your particular observer seems to have given you an idea of very rigid requirements. Well, remember that observers are well-meaning volunteers, and are fallible. Perhaps they find it easier to tell you how to steer than to enhance your level of observation and planning or sense of pace. Perhaps even they find it difficult to admit that there is not much to teach you in the areas which really matter - if that is the case.Talk to a senior examiner and you will probably find that they are far less rigid.

With the sole exception of attitude to speed limits, I try to drive all the time as I would for an IAM Test. Of course I make mistakes, particularly when I am not applying the level of concentration which I would for a test - but I do try.

So Sally/Lady Godiva, I say keep up your efforts and don't be put off by Dave.

Having re read TripleS' comments, I believe it was his reference to 'special' and 'artificial' that I don't understand.

I was out for a longish run yesterday, in excess of 2 hours there, then driving around all day, then 2 hours back. I tried to maintain the IAM way every second I was driving. While doing this, I was obviously thinking about what I was doing and why I was doing it.

I felt in extreme control at all times, and many instances where I felt I was (hopefully) demonstrating observation, anticipation, etc., etc. I applied the 'System' at every single hazard, including turns into junctions, temporary traffic lights, overtaking, parking etc. But, there was not one thing that I felt was special or artificial. Safe, yes. In control, defintely. Systematic, without a doubt. But artificial...not at all.

I respect everyones right to decide whether or not to ascribe to the IAM (or any other Advanced) method. I just dont see where it can be seen as either special or artificial. I'm not being deliberately obtuse, I would just like someone to point it out to me. I am considering becoming an Observer, so the more I can understand different viewpoints, the more I may be able to help others.

By the way (unlike everyone else it seems) I really don't have a problem with pull/pull steering. I find it perfectly easy, natural and simple to apply. It may just be me, but it never slows me down, and I never find it unnatural. I also adhere to the limits; it is my personal decision as I believe it is right for me.

I await David's comments with anticipation, and I appreciate hpcdrivers encouragement.

Regards
Sally
Lady Godiva

Postby TripleS » Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:07 pm

hpcdriver wrote:
TripleS wrote:the way IAM people drive - certainly to meet their test standard - seems to me untypical of how they are likely to drive generally.

and

My problem is that the IAM way is too stuffy about some details that really do not matter that much. Steering is an example of this, but we've been through that previously. They are too prescriptive, and relaxing some of their demands would not be detrimental IMHO. Indeed it might encourage more people to join the IAM, and on balance that would be better.

It was good to meet you today Dave, and to put a face to the name. Thanks for coming so far.

With the sole exception of attitude to speed limits, I try to drive all the time as I would for an IAM Test. Of course I make mistakes, particularly when I am not applying the level of concentration which I would for a test - but I do try.

So Sally/Lady Godiva, I say keep up your efforts and don't be put off by Dave.

Hiya Mark - nice to meet you yesterday even if it was little more than a brief hello before I went off for my snooze with Gareth!

I accept what you say in your reply and I don't mean to put anybody off. All I'm doing is offering a slightly unconventional* viewpoint - which might not find much favour - and that is something of which I have considerable experience - er, that is, not finding much favour!

* OK then, rebellious!

Best wishes all,
Dave. 8)
TripleS

Postby rlmr » Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:28 pm

Lady Godiva wrote:By the way (unlike everyone else it seems) I really don't have a problem with pull/pull steering. I find it perfectly easy, natural and simple to apply. It may just be me, but it never slows me down, and I never find it unnatural.

Hi Sally,

Nice one. :D We were put through both skid pan and manoeuvrability courses using pull/push. When we started the course we all thought we would be faster crossing hands etc. and were probably notching 2 minute times. By the end of the course and on final test hitting the 1 min 20 sec target time was easily achievable using pull/push and I would honestly defy anyone to have driven faster (and as smooth), steering any other way.

I occasionally instruct on HGV and the problem is folk seem reticent to move the wheel quickly. Its not pull/push which is slow is the so called drivers :evil: .

I do not knock other steering methods and believe there are different styles/methods better suited to certain circumstances, but for general road use, pull/push is more than capable of dealing with our needs.
Rennie Ritchie
Home Page

IAM Examiner for Cars, Bikes, Lorries and Buses since 1986
rlmr

Postby TripleS » Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:29 pm

Hello Sally and thanks for your reply.

If you are deriving important benefits by doing things the IAM way, and you're finding it easy and natural to do it consistently, and it gives you a feeling of confidence and safety, that is absolutely splendid. Don't let me put you off that and spoil anything for you.

Maybe I've caused an unexpected problem by a bit of careless wording. I still think I know what I mean, but maybe it didn't come out right!

If you live anything less than about 200 miles from Whitby and you're interested in a tootle out together, by all means let me know - that's if you don't mind temporarily associating with a cantankerous old buffer!

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby Lady Godiva » Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:51 pm

TripleS wrote:Hello Sally and thanks for your reply.

If you are deriving important benefits by doing things the IAM way, and you're finding it easy and natural to do it consistently, and it gives you a feeling of confidence and safety, that is absolutely splendid. Don't let me put you off that and spoil anything for you.

Maybe I've caused an unexpected problem by a bit of careless wording. I still think I know what I mean, but maybe it didn't come out right!

If you live anything less than about 200 miles from Whitby and you're interested in a tootle out together, by all means let me know - that's if you don't mind temporarily associating with a cantankerous old buffer!

Best wishes all,
Dave.

My dear old Pa warned me about getting in cars with strange men. I've survived this far by following his advice!!!

Re your very last comment, I can only say
Buffer...you're not a buffer.
Old....you're not old.
Cantankerous....you're not old.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

It's these debates that give us something to think about, so thank you for your comments. I'm still not 100% sure what you mean by artificial and special, but it may be just me that finds it so easy and natural (only joking of course).

I'm sticking with what feels comfortable. As RLMR has so eloquently pointed out, it's not the method, it's often the driver. That is not pointed at you Dave, just a comment. You only have to see the instructor on the Roadcraft video dealing with skids using pull/push to realise it's okay.

You do it your way Dave, I'll do it mine, and I'll meet you one day at the Abbey for an icecream (you're paying :wink: ).

Regards
Sally
Lady Godiva

Postby TripleS » Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:18 pm

Thanks are due to the Stressed one from the contrary one.

Thank you David.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby rlmr » Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:14 pm

I just think its great that good folk like you are taking the time to debate and discuss these matters. But just remember, do not get too hung up on words and technicalities... enjoy your driving :D

I am one of the lucky ones who had their Advanced Driving Instruction paid for by the tax-payers... so I try to put a bit back into the subject to say thanks :wink:

Rennie
rlmr

Postby PeteG » Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:01 pm

Whitby? Icecream? *takes note*

We should have a more Northerly meet sometime... straight off the top of my head, I think Whitby would be half-decent... :)

*smoggy*
PeteG

Postby crr003 » Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:24 am

Lady Godiva wrote:......I'm sticking with what feels comfortable. As RLMR has so eloquently pointed out, it's not the method, it's often the driver. That is not pointed at you Dave, just a comment. You only have to see the instructor on the Roadcraft video dealing with skids using pull/push to realise it's okay.

Pull-Push is fine for the majority of driving and vehicles. I'm lucky to have two cars and one is much easier/nicer to drive with predominately fixed input steering. I think the important thing to try and take on board is that there are different ways of doing things (as outlined in Roadcraft) - what's talked about here as "tools in the toolbox". When I took IAM I was pull-push all the way - now I can accept being more flexible. On skid pans I find palming the wheel quite effective for me. God knows what I'd do in a real skid :shock:
crr003

Postby vonhosen » Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:50 am

Some of the stuff I do, pull/push would never result in quick enough steering. Other methods have to be used to maintain control of the vehicle.

However, as has been said numerous times here & elsewhere, for the majority of uses it is a safe reliable steering method that has much to offer, it's just it's not the only way.
Any views expressed are mine & mine alone.
I do not represent my employer or these forums.
vonhosen

Postby 7db » Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:41 am

Having a Haiku morning.

Nearing slippy RAB.
Wax-on. Wax-off. Daniel-san
Are we nearly through?

:roll:

(I think my world cup one was better...)
7db

Postby TripleS » Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:01 am

PeteG wrote:Whitby? Icecream? *takes note*

We should have a more Northerly meet sometime... straight off the top of my head, I think Whitby would be half-decent... :)

*smoggy*

Quite right Pete. I'm minded to get out and review some possible routes.

It would be helpful if we could have an indication of likely interest in a day based around the Whitby area.

Is anyone else interested, apart from Pete and me?

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby James » Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:48 am

vonhosen wrote:Some of the stuff I do, pull/push would never result in quick enough steering. Other methods have to be used to maintain control of the vehicle.

However, as has been said numerous times here & elsewhere, for the majority of uses it is a safe reliable steering method that has much to offer, it's just it's not the only way.

Let's see if I can approach this the right way!

Von, just wondering, when going through techniques that involve turning the vehicle as swiftly as possible 180 degree's, would the "taught" steering technique involve the right hand taking a 9 o'clock position to maximise steering arc, whilst the other hand may be on some other control?
James

Postby rlmr » Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:30 pm

Police_Driver wrote:Von, just wondering, when going through techniques that involve turning the vehicle as swiftly as possible 180 degree's, would the "taught" steering technique involve the right hand taking a 9 o'clock position to maximise steering arc, whilst the other hand may be on some other control?

Hey Chaps (Von & Police_Driver et al),

There are a few of us on this forum, who have had the benefit of "company training" where pure Advanced Driving is only one of many courses we could draw upon to allow us to carry out specific tasks the public do not carry out. I do not think its fair to digress into these techniques, which if practised by the public, could lead to Dangerous/Reckless charges :wink:. No point in adding to the confusion... we are supposed to be helping after all. Perhaps such matters could be covered in a separate post? This thread is interesting but we have now filled 3 pages and moved away from the original subject matter.

Just a thought :idea:

Rennie

No crit' implied or intended to any contributors in this thread.
Rennie Ritchie
Home Page

IAM Examiner for Cars, Bikes, Lorries and Buses since 1986
rlmr

Postby Rick » Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:41 pm

TripleS wrote:
PeteG wrote:Whitby? Icecream? *takes note*

*smoggy*

Quite right Pete. I'm minded to get out and review some possible routes.

It would be helpful if we could have an indication of likely interest in a day based around the Whitby area.

Is anyone else interested, apart from Pete and me?

Best wishes all,
Dave.

I'd be interested in a Whitby meet. I'm sure there are a few from the Hull area who would come along too. I'd like to see what routes you come up with Dave as i could use them for some HPC drives as the roads are great around there. :lol:
Rick

PreviousNext

Return to Advanced Driving Forum