Applying the system

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby TripleS » Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:53 pm

Rick wrote:
TripleS wrote:
PeteG wrote:Whitby? Icecream? *takes note*

We should have a more Northerly meet sometime... straight off the top of my head, I think Whitby would be half-decent... :)

*smoggy*

Quite right Pete. I'm minded to get out and review some possible routes.

It would be helpful if we could have an indication of likely interest in a day based around the Whitby area.

Is anyone else interested, apart from Pete and me?

Best wishes all,
Dave.

I'd be interested in a Whitby meet. I'm sure there are a few from the Hull area who would come along too. I'd like to see what routes you come up with Dave as i could use them for some HPC drives as the roads are great around there. :lol:

OK thanks Rick.

I would like to try arranging a day based in this area, but it would be helpful if those expressing interest could indicate whether they would be attending as experts, i.e. able to provide some guidance/tuition, or simply coming along seeking assistance.

Rather than clutter up this thread any further, I'll put up a new one in the General Forum.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby James » Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:54 pm

rlmr wrote:
Police_Driver wrote:Von, just wondering, when going through techniques that involve turning the vehicle as swiftly as possible 180 degree's, would the "taught" steering technique involve the right hand taking a 9 o'clock position to maximise steering arc, whilst the other hand may be on some other control?

Hey Chaps (Von & Police_Driver et al),

There are a few of us on this forum, who have had the benefit of "company training" where pure Advanced Driving is only one of many courses we could draw upon to allow us to carry out specific tasks the public do not carry out. I do not think its fair to digress into these techniques, which if practised by the public, could lead to Dangerous/Reckless charges :wink:. No point in adding to the confusion... we are supposed to be helping after all. Perhaps such matters could be covered in a separate post? This thread is interesting but we have now filled 3 pages and moved away from the original subje
ct matter.

Just a thought :idea:

Rennie

No crit' implied or intended to any contributors in this thread.

Hence why it was worded so vaguely and indiscriminately. Maybe a PM reply would suffice.
James

Postby rlmr » Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:00 pm

Police_Driver wrote:Hence why it was worded so vaguely and indiscriminately. Maybe a PM reply would suffice.

Sorry PD... bad habit of mine and one which certainly upset some bosses at work... I'd never say something behind someone's back, I'd always say it to their face, and probably in public :wink:

Anyway, I felt I needed to support your posts but wanted to give a "health warning" to those who have not been fortunate enough to have "company" training or the legal wherewith-all to put it into practise :D :D :D

regards,

Rennie
rlmr

Postby crr003 » Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:28 pm

Police_Driver wrote:Hence why it was worded so vaguely and indiscriminately.

Err, handbrake turn?
crr003

Postby vonhosen » Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:29 pm

Police_Driver wrote:
vonhosen wrote:Some of the stuff I do, pull/push would never result in quick enough steering. Other methods have to be used to maintain control of the vehicle.

However, as has been said numerous times here & elsewhere, for the majority of uses it is a safe reliable steering method that has much to offer, it's just it's not the only way.

Let's see if I can approach this the right way!

Von, just wondering, when going through techniques that involve turning the vehicle as swiftly as possible 180 degree's, would the "taught" steering technique involve the right hand taking a 9 o'clock position to maximise steering arc, whilst the other hand may be on some other control?

As Rennie has eluded to.

I won't go into detail here, don't want to give people the wrong ideas.
Just safe to say, pull/push suits most Police training & operational purposes fine, would suit most public driving needs fine, but is not the only way to skin the cat

(no offence meant to cat lovers "ie Rick" having two myself :D )
Any views expressed are mine & mine alone.
I do not represent my employer or these forums.
vonhosen

Postby Rick » Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:37 pm

Hahaha none taken. As for steering, well we have to allow a bit of leeway in our new Scania appliances as the steering rack is so low geared the drivers would never make good progress unless they could very methods slightly. For normal speed driving it is possible though still not easy at mini RAB's. Obviously it's differant in a car ;)
Rick

Previous

Return to Advanced Driving Forum