How To Manage Concentration?

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby TR4ffic » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:36 am

michael769 wrote:To my mind concentration implies devoting ones attention to something specific. I humbly submit that it exactly what you do not want when driving - especially if the driver is concentration on his phone or passenger!

Ideally you want your attention to be constantly shifting. Alertness combined with an appreciation of the gravity and responsibility of being in charge of a 1.5tonne machine that has a reputation for causing fatalities, is closer to what is required.

In my daily life, driving carries the highest risk (as it does for most of us, unless there are any bomb disposal experts on the forum..!) and, therefore, deserves and gets my highest levels of concentration. I maintain concentration by cutting out distractions

Hi all, how do you manage your concentration with passengers in the car? Any tips?

Yes, don’t let them become distractions… After many years, my family has learnt that journeys are basically completed in silence – They may chat amongst themselves but Dad, generally, doesn’t join in. We will usually have the radio/music on but I can effectively tune that out.

I can filter out and ignore nearly all distractions but the one that continually thwarts me, despite my best endeavours, is when the front seat passenger (usually ‘er in doors) reads a newspaper – I can’t help but glance across..! Solution? Ask them to put the paper down.
Riveting – The most fascinating job you could ever have..!

Nick
IAM Member since 1985
TR4ffic

Postby dombooth » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:33 am

gannet wrote:
Zebedee wrote:Hi all, how do you manage your concentration with passengers in the car? Any tips?

start a commentary - that usually shuts them up :D

Or they moan until you stop!!!!

Dom
Dominic Booth
Chesterfield IAM Chairman & Webmaster
IAM F1RST & RoADAR Gold

ALL OF MY POSTS ARE OF MY OPINION ONLY AND NOT THAT OF MY GROUP UNLESS OTHERWISE STATED.
dombooth

Postby 7db » Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:34 pm

TR4ffic wrote:I can filter out and ignore nearly all distractions but the one that continually thwarts me, despite my best endeavours, is when the front seat passenger (usually ‘er in doors) reads a newspaper – I can’t help but glance across..! Solution?

Buy a convertible.
7db

Postby jcochrane » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:01 pm

7db wrote:
TR4ffic wrote:I can filter out and ignore nearly all distractions but the one that continually thwarts me, despite my best endeavours, is when the front seat passenger (usually ‘er in doors) reads a newspaper – I can’t help but glance across..! Solution?

Buy a convertible.

Would that be with an ejector seat?
jcochrane

Location: East Surrey and wherever good driving roads can be found.

Previous

Return to Advanced Driving Forum