Chauffeuring

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby WS » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:20 am

Hello

I am going to serve as the personal chauffeur for one of my company's clients for a couple of days :). Any advice on how to do that properly and what to remember about, apart from standard "advanced driving" issues? Or perhaps someone could recommend some useful sources / books / websites on this type of driving?

Many thanks!
Regards from Poland
Wojtek
WS

Postby MrToad » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:40 pm

You need a hat. The correct headgear is very important.
Do less, better.
MrToad

Postby michael769 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:30 pm

For my sins I did spend a few months driving limos as a student.

Firstly remember to get the door for them. Make sure that you pull up on the same side of the road from which you picked them up (so they do not have to clamber inside the car or exit into traffic).

You are expected to be at the passengers beck and call so personal activities (eating drinking, phone use, etc) should not be carried out within sight of the passenger (even when not driving). if sunglasses are required they should not be worn outside the car, where the client should be able to make eye contact with their driver.

Practice closing the door gently without slamming.

When carrying a male and a female the female should be guided to board on the pavement side. On both boarding and alighting the female should be attended to before the male.

The pros do not initiate conversation with their client, unless necessary to give them safety advice (eg to ask someone on the offside of the car to remain seated until the door is opened), or to ask for instructions, but will respond politely if their client initiates one. It is considered rude to greet colleagues (other drivers) when the client is present as your attention should be devoted to them. It is not normal practice to shake a clients hand, but again one should respond if the client initiates. Overall you should allow the client to choose whatever level of interaction that they wish to have with you. You should refrain from watching them in the mirror, brief eye contact whilst talking to them when the vehicle is stationary in traffic is acceptable, but consider turning around if parked up.

Music or the radio should be turned off unless the client requests it be put on.

A tip should not be expected (nor any impression given to the client that this is the case), however tips should not be refused to avoid offence.

In terms of driving back seat passengers feel the vehicle's G forces more than do front passengers so the more progressive style of AD may not be appropriate. The idea is to prioritize smoothness over progress, and at all times the passengers safety is to be placed before your own. Traffic laws should be seen to be being obeyed, and reacting in any way to the actions of other drivers is a major no-no. Where you have to go over severe speed humps and unavoidable potholes you should apologies to your passengers.

Wherever practicable try to find out the clients destination before picking them up so that you can ensure that you are aware of the route.

In the event of a collision your first priority, after ensuring your passenger is safe and unharmed, is to arrange a taxi for them to continue their journey.
Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open
Thomas Robert Dewar(1864-1930)
michael769

Postby daz6215 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:35 pm

Cabin temp should be around 19 degrees C, dont walk around the front of the vehicle as it obstructs their view!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYEejMHqDpk
daz6215

Postby exportmanuk » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:16 pm

If they ask you to hurry up drive a little more aggressive but stay with in the law accelerate and brake a little harder corner a little more abruptly . Just enough to give the impression of speed without throwing them around the cabin and without you getting in trouble with the law.

Remember no matter what they say you are responsible for your driving, they can always get a new chauffeur, without a license you would be out of work.
exportmanuk

Postby christopherwk » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:52 pm

WS wrote:Or perhaps someone could recommend some useful sources / books / websites on this type of driving?

British Chauffeurs Guild
Chauffeur World
The Chauffeur.com
The Institute of Professional Drivers and Chauffeurs

Also, here if you want to buy the cap.
christopherwk

Postby Kimosabe » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:11 am

Correct head gear and a bad suit always ensures being taken completely seriously. Other than that, you're not a chauffeur and won't be within the time you have to become one, so drive safely and smoothly.

Hope all goes well.
A wise man once told me that "it depends". I sometimes agree.
Kimosabe

Postby WS » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:09 pm

Thanks very much for all your answers.
Regards from Poland
Wojtek
WS

Postby ExadiNigel » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:05 pm

michael769 wrote:In the event of a collision your first priority, after ensuring your passenger is safe and unharmed, is to arrange a taxi for them to continue their journey.

Really? Are you serious? If there are injured people involved then an ambulance and Police are far more important than a taxi for the client!

Also, don't be scared to insist that any rear seat passenger wear their seat belt - health and safety at work applies here - if they don't wear their belt your safety is at risk in an accident. If they try and refuse then explain, calmly but firmly, that you won't be moving the vehicle until they belt up!
Ex - ADI & Fleet Trainer, RoADAR Diploma, National Standards Cycling Instructor, ex- Registered Assessor for BTEC in Driving Science, ex-Member RoADAR & IAM, Plymouth, ex - SAFED registered trainer
ExadiNigel

Postby jcochrane » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:30 pm

ExadiNigel wrote:
Also, don't be scared to insist that any rear seat passenger wear their seat belt - health and safety at work applies here - if they don't wear their belt your safety is at risk in an accident. If they try and refuse then explain, calmly but firmly, that you won't be moving the vehicle until they belt up!

Not sure that would work with our Ministers. I suspect it likely the driver would be replaced by another Government Car Service Driver. An interesting point and one I shall bring up with our regular driver.
jcochrane

Location: East Surrey and wherever good driving roads can be found.

Postby exportmanuk » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:03 pm

OP is not in the UK

Not sure what the seatbelt laws are in Poland
exportmanuk

Postby WS » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:03 pm

exportmanuk wrote:Not sure what the seatbelt laws are in Poland

the same as in the UK.
Regards from Poland
Wojtek
WS

Postby ExadiNigel » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:17 pm

It is irrelevant what the seat belt laws are - it is a matter of health and safety for the driver!

I have insisted as a driver when chauffeuring and ony one person argued but gave in in the end but then he was known to be a miserable so and so.
Ex - ADI & Fleet Trainer, RoADAR Diploma, National Standards Cycling Instructor, ex- Registered Assessor for BTEC in Driving Science, ex-Member RoADAR & IAM, Plymouth, ex - SAFED registered trainer
ExadiNigel

Postby waremark » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:39 pm

ExadiNigel wrote:I have insisted as a driver when chauffeuring and ony one person argued but gave in in the end but then he was known to be a miserable so and so.

I once drove my ultimate boss. When he didn't put on his belt I said something - I cannot remember how. He told me that he had a medical exemption and I meekly drove off. No idea whether he really had an exemption. He probably wasn't very wise, since I was driving an unfamiliar car, on unfamiliar roads, in difficult fog.

There was another bit of conversation at the start of the journey (dates it to 1990). He asked 'Can you drive this car?' I said 'I took my Advanced Driving Test last week. He asked 'Did you pass?' Another colleague in the car said: 'He must have, otherwise he wouldn't have mentioned it.' Quite true, and amusing enough for me to remember.
waremark

Postby michael769 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:48 pm

ExadiNigel wrote:
michael769 wrote:In the event of a collision your first priority, after ensuring your passenger is safe and unharmed, is to arrange a taxi for them to continue their journey.

Really? Are you serious? If there are injured people involved then an ambulance and Police are far more important than a taxi for the client!

Within the limitations of the law your first obligation is to your own passengers. Its the first thing you are taught.
Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open
Thomas Robert Dewar(1864-1930)
michael769

Next

Return to Advanced Driving Forum