First Assessment Drive

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby DamianJ » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:35 pm

Hi,

Having been a member of my local RoADAR group a while, I am now in the position where I have my first assessment drive arranged.

I am certainly looking forward to starting but I'm understandably a little nervous, especially as its in an area I don't know. What sort of things would be expected on an initial assessment drive? What are the most common things that would be given to work on?

It would be interesting to hear opinions and experiences from observers/tutors,
Thanks
DamianJ

Postby hir » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:14 pm

DamianJ wrote:Hi,

What sort of things would be expected on an initial assessment drive? What are the most common things that would be given to work on?

It would be interesting to hear opinions and experiences from observers/tutors,
Thanks

You will be expected to drive your normal drive. Try and forget that you've got someone assessing you, (difficult I know). Don't try and drive the "perfect" drive otherwise the assessor won't know what you need to work on. There's nothing to be concerned about - if you get an experienced observer he'll have seen it all before - if you get a newbie, he'll be just as nervous as you.

You ask... What are you likely to be given to work on? That just depends on what needs to be worked on!

Don't try and second guess what the observer is looking for, you won't be able to. I recently had a new associate, passed his DSA test about two years ago, he gave me the perfect DSA-test drive. I asked him how many miles an hour he had knocked off his normal driving just because I was sitting next to him? When pressed he said... "oh, about 5mph". I said... "ok, we can probably double that. Let's call it 10mph. Now I want to see you add that 5 to 10mph back so I can properly assess how you normally drive".

Hope that helps.

Good luck
hir

Postby DamianJ » Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:15 pm

The observer is very experienced from what I can tell, so I'm sure he'll have seen it all before.

I know that what I'll be asked to work on will depend on what I need, I was just curious as to what common areas were to start off with. Steering? BGOL? Positioning, smooth car control etc. I guess it will depend on what the observer sees as a priority.

Thanks for the pointers... will have to try and forget about them observing me and relax.
DamianJ

Postby TripleS » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:49 pm

DamianJ wrote:The observer is very experienced from what I can tell, so I'm sure he'll have seen it all before.

I know that what I'll be asked to work on will depend on what I need, I was just curious as to what common areas were to start off with. Steering? BGOL? Positioning, smooth car control etc. I guess it will depend on what the observer sees as a priority.

Thanks for the pointers... will have to try and forget about them observing me and relax.

1. An 'experienced' observer might still not be very good. Don't feel inferior too readily.
2. It's not just what the observer thinks you need. Also take account of what you feel you need.

Do you want to work towards being your own best kind of driver, taking account of what is advised, or do you simply want to join their club?

Sorry, but I'm a bit sceptical of 'experts' at that level. A real expert will work with you, not just tell you what they consider you need to do.

Anyhow, I hope it goes well and you will eventually feel meaningful benefit from the process.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby JamesAllport » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:14 am

Damian,

Different people will choose to focus on different topics in an order that works for you or them. The common element for all tutors on a first drive should be to understand a little about you - what kind of driving you do & what's brought you to RoADAR.

Enjoy! This *is* supposed to be fun! Let us know what happens...

James
Only two things matter: attitude & entry speeds.
JamesAllport

Postby ROG » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:36 am

The main area will probably be observation and how you deal with any hazards

No good concentrating on other aspects if the above has any issues
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby DamianJ » Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:52 pm

TripleS wrote:It's not just what the observer thinks you need. Also take account of what you feel you need.

Do you want to work towards being your own best kind of driver, taking account of what is advised, or do you simply want to join their club?

Sorry, but I'm a bit sceptical of 'experts' at that level. A real expert will work with you, not just tell you what they consider you need to do.

Hi,

Some very good points, thanks.

I want to work at being a better driver not just join a club. I have always taken an open attitude that you can learn from anybody and I hope that I will learn a few things... even if I don't end up using all of it. We shall see.

The reason I went with the group I did was that when I went out with a driver from a different group they were saying do this... do that... because thats how its done. The person from this group was explaining why and seemed to want to work with me. I know different people have different approaches, so I hope things go well.
DamianJ

Postby michael769 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:35 pm

On your first session drive as you normlly do. Yo will get the maximum benefit from it if he sees you as you are not how you would like him to see you.
Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open
Thomas Robert Dewar(1864-1930)
michael769

Postby superplum » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:33 pm

Damian

Just drive normally! When your tutor starts giving you guidance, listen and learn. The most important part is practicing between training drives. Ignore the sceptics on here, let the tutor do his "job". Remember that he is a volunteer and is there to help you.

H

RoADAR Training Officer (and Tutor)
superplum

Postby TripleS » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:15 pm

superplum wrote:Damian

Just drive normally! When your tutor starts giving you guidance, listen and learn. The most important part is practicing between training drives. Ignore the sceptics on here, let the tutor do his "job". Remember that he is a volunteer and is there to help you.

H

RoADAR Training Officer (and Tutor)

You're right to advise that the 'pupil' should drive normally, although I suspect many pupils may not find this easy. I expect there is often a tendency to try produce what the pupil thinks the tutor is looking for. In fact I expect that most people with a particular interest in driving, whether novice or expert, may sometimes be prone to putting on a show and hoping to impress.

As for listening and learning, is it completely outside the bounds of possibility that the tutor might also be in a listening and learning frame of mind? I ask this as a genuine question, because IMHO the tutor should also be looking for opportunities to make a better job of what he does, just as the pupil is there for self-improvement.

Best wishes all,
Dave - possibly a part time sceptic. :lol:
TripleS

Postby daz6215 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:33 pm

TripleS wrote:As for listening and learning, is it completely outside the bounds of possibility that the tutor might also be in a listening and learning frame of mind? I ask this as a genuine question, because IMHO the tutor should also be looking for opportunities to make a better job of what he does, just as the pupil is there for self-improvement.

Best wishes all,
Dave - possibly a part time sceptic. :lol:

Totally agree,

:D :wink: :wink:
daz6215

Postby martine » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:51 pm

TripleS wrote:Dave - possibly a part time sceptic. :lol:

Part-time? Part-time? I reckon you are a Cambridge qualified, full-time...who's-wife-complains-about-spending-no-time-at-home, sceptic - with a doctorate in scepticism.

I'm always open to learning from associates but of course it needs to be handled carefully to start with...the associate is probably expecting an expert teacher to be sitting alongside.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby TripleS » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:15 pm

martine wrote:
TripleS wrote:Dave - possibly a part time sceptic. :lol:

Part-time? Part-time? I reckon you are a Cambridge qualified, full-time...who's-wife-complains-about-spending-no-time-at-home, sceptic - with a doctorate in scepticism.

I'm always open to learning from associates but of course it needs to be handled carefully to start with...the associate is probably expecting an expert teacher to be sitting alongside.

OK, there some doubt as to how much of my time I spend in sceptical mode That's fair enough, but it sure ain't full time. :P

I fully accept your second paragraph. You may have an absolutely splendid approach to the whole thing, and so might many other IAM and RoADAR Observers, but some Associates do seem to have a difficult relationship with their Observers, at least initially, according to the experiences they report. Usually they can overcome this by changing to another Observer, but it is still regrettable that those who generously give their time freely to help others should then balls it up by not being alert to possible shortcomings in their own style of functioning. That's what I'm really getting at.

Best wishes all,
Dave - still only a part-time sceptic. 8)
TripleS

Postby DamianJ » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:54 pm

Well I've had the first assessment drive, enjoyable and several points to work on.

The drive was about 1.5 hours and covered a range of roads from very narrow country lanes to motorway. During the drive the tutor was checking my observation (what was the last sign you passed) and asking several highway code type questions. I didn't do too bad on the questions... missed a sign or two though.

The interesting part was when he asked me to start putting into words what I was seeing and thinking... an early introduction to commentary. Was very strange, but I found when he started doing his own commentary very useful.

The main things that he mentioned were;

Steering - too much rotational steering, not push-pull.
Smoothness of gear changes - rushed action and not well matched to road speed.
Mirrors - not using them frequently enough.
He did mention that all actions should be separated unless there is a reason.

Overall a useful and enjoyable exercise, I'm off to look up and remind myself about push-pull steering so I can have a practise before next weeks session, which will be on observation and anticipation.
DamianJ

Postby 7db » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:35 pm

DamianJ wrote:(what was the last sign you passed)

"Centre lane marking" or similar can work...
7db

Next

Return to Advanced Driving Forum