First Assessment Drive

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby WhoseGeneration » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:28 pm

7db wrote:
DamianJ wrote:(what was the last sign you passed)

"Centre lane marking" or similar can work...

When you think about it, this "last sign" stuff is a bit odd, considering AD is about forward planning.
If we've successfully negoiated a previously marked hazard the only concern is the next.
Which is why, presumably, commentary is better, that being forward.
Anyway, OP, technique, try slowing things down, too many drivers are binary regarding steering, accelerating and braking, with no appreciation of "acceleration sense" or how to just ease the car into their requirement from it. For the most part, within NSL and to make progress braking and gearchanges do not need to be rushed.
Learn to scan all your mirrors, without that compromising your forward vision.
That scanning will also give you peripheral information which might be of use in maintaining your "safety bubble".
Always a commentary, spoken or not.
Keeps one safe. One hopes.
WhoseGeneration

Postby 7db » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:24 am

I 100% agree it's a rubbish question. (Although I like its variant: "what is the colour of the next car we'll see?)

The question should be: "What is the next thing that might kill us? (and what are you doing about it)".

This is the only thing that matters. If the answer is nothing, then the question is "why aren't you going faster until there is something that might kill us?"
7db

Postby The Thinker » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:27 pm

Thanks for reminding me about the colour of the next car. I did this with an associate on Sat and had totally forgotten how impressive it is when you are right.
The Thinker

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:31 pm

When the question is asked in context, it has purpose. "What was the last road sign we passed?" is just a check. The associate passed a road sign (or several), didn't mention it, and didn't asjust the driving plan accordingly. The question is just a (admittedly smart@rse) check - did the associate see the sign and choose to ignore it, or were they not looking? Either way leads to some discussion, and hopefully an impression in the mind of the associate that signs are there to be noticed, the observer can see them, so why can't they?

"What colour will be the next car?" cuts both ways. I remember a drive with a fellow advanced driver:

Him: What is the next vehicle you'd expect to see?
Me: You mean the red truck?
Him: Oh :( I wasn't sure if you'd seen it.

So that set the scene for what I could expect - he didn't trust me. At least we knew where we stood...
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby The Thinker » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:32 pm

I've never had that issue.

I usually get, no i'm not sure so I tell them and where I saw it. They understand about using all the windscreen.

Or they get it correct and I give them credit for it.

Both ways win.
The Thinker

Postby WhoseGeneration » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:03 am

I remember the President, now deceased unfortunately, of a motorclub I was once a member of talking about his IAM test.
The Examiner asked him, "What was the time on the Bus Station clock we just passed?"
His reply, to the effect of "What does that have to do with my driving?"
vonhosen might like to answer whether those on a response, advanced or pursuit course would be expected to answer such a question.
Always a commentary, spoken or not.
Keeps one safe. One hopes.
WhoseGeneration

Previous

Return to Advanced Driving Forum