No need for headlights if there are streetlights?

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby Gareth » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:18 am

nightflight wrote:By the same principle, I presume most people dim their dashclock/speedo etc right down at night time? Otherwise you're over illuminating the foreground at the expense of that behind it.

Related - some newish cars come with very bright / not dimmable instrument lighting.

It beggars belief that car designers can unlearn such fundamentals from one model to the next.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby jont » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:32 am

Gareth wrote:
nightflight wrote:By the same principle, I presume most people dim their dashclock/speedo etc right down at night time? Otherwise you're over illuminating the foreground at the expense of that behind it.

Related - some newish cars come with very bright / not dimmable instrument lighting.

It beggars belief that car designers can unlearn such fundamentals from one model to the next.

<nods> and don't get me started on manufacturers who put a bloody great LCD display in the middle of the car with no way of turning the screen off :roll:
jont

Postby GJD » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:27 pm

nightflight wrote:
GJD wrote:Better vision in the middle and far distance on sidelights compared to dipped headlights? Are you sure?

Yes, dipped just illuminates very brightly the near distance giving a massive contrast between near and middle distance brightness. Try it next time on a street lighted motorway/a-road, particularly mid evening time.

Ah. In a different part of the post I responded to, you mentioned "approaching an unlit bend, (typically country b-roads and similar)" and that's what I had in mind when considering your sidelights vs dipped lights comment. A street lighted major road is obviously very different. I was on a lit section of the A1 early yesterday morning (just before 7am) and I tried this briefly, but I think there was already too much daylight by that time for the point you're making as I found the difference almost imperceptible. The only difference I could see with dipped lights was the reflection of the cats eyes and a road sign or two - certainly no issue of the near distance brightness affecting my far distance vision. Perhaps I'll try when I find myself on a similar road at a darker time of day.

nightflight wrote:I presume most people dim their dashclock/speedo etc right down at night time? Otherwise you're over illuminating the foreground at the expense of that behind it.

I don't find I ever need to adjust mine. I've just set it to a brightness that works for me at night and left it there.
GJD

Previous

Return to Advanced Driving Forum