The ingredients of advanced driving

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby waremark » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:09 am

It seems to me that we spend too much time talking about technique. Advanced driving is really all about the highest level of observation anticipation and planning allowing you to be at an intelligently considered speed on an intelligently considered part of the road with a consistent level of safety and all with the smoothest inputs.

Agreed?
waremark

Postby gannet » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:02 am

sounds about right to me :D
-- Gannet.
Membership Secretary, East Surrey Group of Advanced Motorists
Driving: Citroen DS3 DSport 1.6THP / MINI Cooper Coupe :D
Riding: Airnimal Joey Sport... (helps with the commute into London during the week!)
ImageImage
gannet

Postby martine » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:25 am

waremark wrote:...and all with the smoothest inputs.

Agreed...but how do you do the last bit?
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby 7db » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:55 am

We are nothing but the inputs we make to the turny thing, the sticky thing and the flappy things.
We are nothing but the observation, anticipation and planning which allow us to decide how to use those controls.
We are nothing but our attitude, beliefs and values which make us choose to observe and plan.
7db

Postby jcochrane » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:59 am

waremark wrote:It seems to me that we spend too much time talking about technique. Advanced driving is really all about the highest level of observation anticipation and planning allowing you to be at an intelligently considered speed on an intelligently considered part of the road with a consistent level of safety and all with the smoothest inputs.

Agreed?

Sounds like a good summing up. :D

I think the last part of your statement is what often defines the highest levels. That is the consistentcy of the application of the points you mention.
jcochrane

Location: East Surrey and wherever good driving roads can be found.

Postby lordgrover » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:15 pm

As a newcomer to advanced driving I've gleaned from Roadcraft, Mind Driving and MrToad the importance of observation, anticipation and planning but I find it the most difficult. After 30+ years of driving with my eyes half-shut I'm finding it surprisingly difficult to simply see and assess what's going on around me. Lots of practice and concentration ahead so that it becomes second nature.
lordgrover

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:25 pm

Ah, but you have taken the first and most important step - acknowledging that it's important. You'll go far :)
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby exportmanuk » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:36 pm

lordgrover wrote:As a newcomer to advanced driving I've gleaned from Roadcraft, Mind Driving and MrToad the importance of observation, anticipation and planning but I find it the most difficult. After 30+ years of driving with my eyes half-shut I'm finding it surprisingly difficult to simply see and assess what's going on around me. Lots of practice and concentration ahead so that it becomes second nature.

Ride a motorcycle around any UK city for a few days, you will learn quickly
exportmanuk

Postby lordgrover » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:04 pm

... or die trying? :wink:
lordgrover

Postby jcochrane » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:10 pm

Try riding a pedal bike in central London traffic. :twisted:
jcochrane

Location: East Surrey and wherever good driving roads can be found.

Postby jont » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:11 pm

jcochrane wrote:Try riding a pedal bike in Bristol traffic. :twisted:

/efa :roll:
jont

Postby TripleS » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:45 pm

jcochrane wrote:Try riding a pedal bike in central London traffic. :twisted:

Maybe try using a country road - for walking. :roll:
TripleS

Postby MrToad » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:42 pm

waremark wrote:It seems to me that we spend too much time talking about technique. Advanced driving is really all about the highest level of observation anticipation and planning allowing you to be at an intelligently considered speed on an intelligently considered part of the road with a consistent level of safety and all with the smoothest inputs.

Agreed?

As a description of 'Advanced Driving', I don't expect you'll get many here disagreeing with it.

That's not to say that there's no place for discussion of technique on these forums though.

Drivers at the higher levels will have mastered the techniques to the point where their selection and use become almost transparent. I've driven with a couple of really good drivers who found it hard to explain exactly how they were doing what they were doing - they'd reached the level of unconscious competence and my incredulous 'how are you doing that?' required them to regress to conscious awareness of their physical actions.

If you liken Advanced Driving to baking a cake (trust me, I know where I'm going with this), the time-served bakers will be discussing the quality of the crumb, the different types of flour available or what type of sugar to dust a Victoria Sandwich with.

The less experienced onlooker, who just wants to bake a nice cake, is more likely to be concerned with what size tin to use and what temperature to set the oven at.

The experienced cake-types will be so far past this stage that it would be easy to dismiss the concerns of the newbie as immaterial and irrelevant to the real business of fine cakes, when in fact their own results will be based on an unconscious understanding of the technicalities and rock-solid technique.

Bridging the gap between beginner and expert requires the wiser heads to remember what it was like before they gained their experience, and to pass that knowledge back down the line in an accessible way.

IMHO, the real problem is when this discussion of technique becomes the end in itself. People loose sight of the desired outcomes - the reason behind the actions, and concentrate on the actions themselves. This restricts thinking rather than freeing it, and any discussion that goes this way will surely repel the intelligent onlooker.
Do less, better.
MrToad

Postby 7db » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:48 pm

On no account should anyone heel and toe whilst baking a cake. I think we can all agree.
7db

Postby lordgrover » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:50 pm

So what size tin should I use?
lordgrover

Next

Return to Advanced Driving Forum