Driver seat/steering position

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby TripleS » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:39 am

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:I have a very simple rule for door mirrors, and no matter how I try and set them up for other purposes while stationary, I always return to it:

On a multi-lane road, in whichever lane I am, I want to see the edge of the adjacent lane in the bottom corner of the appropriate mirror. So in the middle lane of a motorway, I would have two white lines streaming out of the bottom corners of each door mirror.

I can set up the mirrors while stationary to allow me to park, or other similar task, but once out on the open road, I'm not happy until I've returned them to the position mentioned above.

What we need then are mirrors that can be pre-programmed to cover two situations:

One caters for normal driving as you've just described, and the other setting caters for low speed manoeuvres like parking. These alignments should be capable of being preset by the driver at the touch of a button or a single switch. In fact they could be made responsive to the speed of the vehicle, with the changeover point being something like 5 or 10 mph.

I don't know why dimwit car designers can't provide that sort of feature instead of foisting overly complex and unwanted crap on us. :evil:
TripleS

Postby revian » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:46 am

What we need then are mirrors that can be pre-programmed to cover two situations:...

I can't afford it but I think BMW already, in part, do. The near side mirror drops to a predetermined position in reversing.

Not complex to do is it?
Wirral
revian

Postby michael769 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:39 pm

My current associate's Audi does this.
Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open
Thomas Robert Dewar(1864-1930)
michael769

Postby Astraist » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:18 pm

Kimosabe wrote:So we've got the in - out bit nailed but what about the up - down tilt? I have my nearside mirror pointed slightly downwards and my offside pointed slightly upwards as this gives me the greatest view. Otherwise I get loads of unnecessary sky.

I wrote:As for the mirror height adjustment, you can adjust them so the line of the horizon is just below the center of the mirror for common driving purposes. For percision manuevers like parking near the curb, adjust it inward and down so you can see the rear wheel.
Astraist

Postby Horse » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:20 am

Astraist wrote:
I wrote:Adjust the seat height so your eyes are level with the upper half or third of the windshield. For most private cars, this can be more accurately measured by keeping a margin of four to five fingers between your head and the ceiling. Readjust steering angle so you can see all the instruments in the panel and ensure that your reach at the steering and pedals remains unhindered.

Oops, sorry & thanks! :)
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby Horse » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:30 am

TripleS wrote:One caters for normal driving as you've just described, and the other setting caters for low speed manoeuvres like parking. These alignments should be capable of being preset by the driver at the touch of a button or a single switch. In fact they could be made responsive to the speed of the vehicle, with the changeover point being something like 5 or 10 mph.

I don't know why dimwit car designers can't provide that sort of feature instead of foisting overly complex and unwanted crap on us. :evil:

IIRC cars in Japan were available years ago with mirrors which moved 'in' when reverse gear was selected.
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:05 am

It's available as an option on my new French shopping car, but I don't have it. This is mildly annoying as the mirrors are not all that great to start with. I shall learn, though.
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby lordgrover » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:58 am

Bimmers have had automatic alignment when selecting reverse for years; my old E46 330C 2002 had it.
I took it for granted and thought of it as a gimmick, but I've missed it on most cars since. I know it's not much of a faff to adjust my mirrors for reversing but it irks me. Image
lordgrover

Postby revian » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:14 pm

lordgrover wrote:Bimmers have had automatic alignment when selecting reverse for years; my old E46 330C 2002 had it.
I took it for granted and thought of it as a gimmick, but I've missed it on most cars since. I know it's not much of a faff to adjust my mirrors for reversing but it irks me. Image

Mines 318d ES... and without....
Wirral
revian

Postby ExadiNigel » Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:13 pm

I prefer the door mirrors to show a bit of the side of the car because i find that makes it easier to place what i can see in relation to the car I am driving.
Ex - ADI & Fleet Trainer, RoADAR Diploma, National Standards Cycling Instructor, ex- Registered Assessor for BTEC in Driving Science, ex-Member RoADAR & IAM, Plymouth, ex - SAFED registered trainer
ExadiNigel

Postby Astraist » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:37 pm

I did not find this to be a major problem in driving, with the exception of percision manuevers. I understand how that could be more comfortable, but I find that the increased field of vision is worth it.
Astraist

Postby TR4ffic » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:46 pm

I've always had both door mirrors positioned to show the side of the car up the inside edge but, after reading this thread, I've moved them both out so that the side of the car now just disappears. It has taken some getting used too after all this time but, as I do mostly motorway driving, I've found the reduction in (eradication of) blind spots very beneficial. I still check over the shoulder though...

Thanks for the tip.
Riveting – The most fascinating job you could ever have..!

Nick
IAM Member since 1985
TR4ffic

Postby Astraist » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:28 pm

No problem. I check over the shoulder too, and always advise to do so.
Astraist

Postby Tosh » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:18 pm

revian wrote:I've been driving for nearly five decades (not non stop!) but in my BMW 318d (2008) without the sports seats its taken me ages to find a reasonably comfortable distance driving position.... And a position for the steering wheel that is also comfortable/practical. I'm 5 ft 5/6 in 'tall'... And not wide... :D

Anybody have experience or advice?

This is probably the best explanation and demonstration:

Tosh

Postby revian » Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:38 pm

Thanks Tosh...

there's also...

http://youtu.be/eyL-SjuJ8p4
Wirral
revian

Previous

Return to Advanced Driving Forum