Terminology help

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby SgorioFruit » Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:16 pm

Rospa, IAM, diamond, advanced driving. Just too much to take in.
Can some one tell me what courses exactly are out there, what tests? What qualifications?
SgorioFruit

Postby martine » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:15 pm

OK - I'll have a go...

The IAM and ROSPA are 2 UK road safety charities that have an advanced driving test. The volunteers prepare drivers for the test and it's conducted by a police 'advanced' driver. Both organisations use 'Roadcraft' as their text book and both are looking for the same skills and techniques. The result of the test is graded differently by each organisation.

ROSPA has around 10,000 members and the IAM around 90,000 - split into local groups which have social events and also arrange coaching for individual drivers wishing to take the test. The coaching is done in your own car with the volunteer 'Observer' or 'Tutor' offering guidance while you drive a chosen route. Most drives will last between 1 and 2 hours including briefing and debriefing. It's a relaxed and informal way of improving driving skills and is meant to be fun and quite probably different to the lessons you had preparing for the L-test.

Passing the advanced test has no legal significance and doesn't affect your licence.

Over 1/4 millions UK drivers have passed the advanced test...but that's spread over several decades and as a proportion of the 34m licence holders it is rather small!

Hope that helps.

Any more questions?
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby SgorioFruit » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:21 pm

Thanks Martine for your reply. It is something i definately want to give a go soon.
So both training bodies get you prepared for the same test? That i didnt know.
So what is a diamond advanced test i've heard off? Is it the same thing?
SgorioFruit

Postby martine » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:26 pm

SgorioFruit wrote:Thanks Martine for your reply. It is something i definately want to give a go soon.
So both training bodies get you prepared for the same test? That i didnt know.
So what is a diamond advanced test i've heard off? Is it the same thing?

Yes the test is essentially the same but you would usually join either the IAM or ROSPA and then take their test. Some people here have done one test and then joined the other organisation and set the other test as well...some call it badge collecting others say it's a way of driving with a different selection of individuals and continuing the learning process.

Diamond test is run by the Driving Instructors Association (DIA) - essentially a trade body for professional driving instructors. Again the test is looking for skills from Roadcraft.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby WhoseGeneration » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:49 pm

SgorioFruit wrote:Rospa, IAM, diamond, advanced driving. Just too much to take in.
Can some one tell me what courses exactly are out there, what tests? What qualifications?

If you say your location, just city or town, folks here could probably suggest whether IAM or Rospa might be best, from their knowledge of the respective groups in that location.
Always a commentary, spoken or not.
Keeps one safe. One hopes.
WhoseGeneration

Postby michael769 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:16 pm

martine wrote:Diamond test is run by the Driving Instructors Association (DIA) - essentially a trade body for professional driving instructors. Again the test is looking for skills from Roadcraft.

I thought the DIA test is based upon the DSA syllabus from "Driving: The Essential Skills"?

EDIT: According to this I thought right!
Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open
Thomas Robert Dewar(1864-1930)
michael769

Postby ExadiNigel » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:32 pm

martine wrote:Diamond test is run by the Driving Instructors Association (DIA) - essentially a trade body for professional driving instructors. Again the test is looking for skills from Roadcraft.

Ooh, have the DIA moved with the times? They used to base their test on the DSA test and was an alternative to the Cardington test.

The DIA like to think of themselves as a trade body but, I believe, they are a limited company.
Ex - ADI & Fleet Trainer, RoADAR Diploma, National Standards Cycling Instructor, ex- Registered Assessor for BTEC in Driving Science, ex-Member RoADAR & IAM, Plymouth, ex - SAFED registered trainer
ExadiNigel

Postby michael769 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:55 pm

ExadiNigel wrote:The DIA like to think of themselves as a trade body but, I believe, they are a limited company.

Trade bodies normally are. Incorporation offers tax advantages, and ensures that if the trade body collapses it does not take its members down with it,
michael769

Postby fungus » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:59 pm

The Diamond advanced test is based on the DSA syllabus, not Roadcraft. My understanding is that it's similar to, but not as stringent as the Cardington special test. The Diamond advanced test, IIAC, allows a maximum of six driver faults just as the ADI part two. The Cardington special test only allows a maximum of two driver faults.

The DIA is a limited company, DIA INT.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby martine » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:14 pm

Well there you go - I stand corrected, thanks guys.

So if the Diamond Advanced test has the same marking basis and max. number of faults (6) to the ADI Part 2 test...what's the difference?
martine

Postby Zebedee » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:45 pm

SgorioFruit, firstly it's great that you're interested! Advanced driving is an invaluable skill or set of skills, which can be very rewarding and enjoyable. Have fun!

I'd recommend finding out which IAM or RoSPA groups are local to you, and perhaps trying them both out to find out which you prefer. You may get on with one group better than another.

The IAM has a range of courses, of which its Skills for Life Programme is the main route to "advanced" status. However, an IAM DriveCheck Plus offers an intro session for only £35, which might be a good taster/starter:
http://www.iam.org.uk/component/cddcart/product/27

Also, you can find info on RoSPA here: http://www.roadar.org/drivers/index.htm

All things being equal, RoSPA used to have the advantage of providing training to a higher level (what's called RoSPA Gold grade). Recently, however, the IAM introduced its own equivalent skill level (called IAM F1RST). Something to aim for, perhaps.

DIAmond focusses on the DSA syllabus, which is how you were taught to drive in the first place. It has the disadvantages of being less well known and costing more. However, it has the major advantage of being professionally taught, presuming you can find a DIAmond Advanced Instructor local to you. (NB: You need an ADI with a DIAmond Advanced Instructor qualification, not a regular ADI.) Like IAM F1RST and RoSPA Gold, DIAmond also offers a higher skill test, called the DIAmond Special test.

martine wrote:Some people here have done one test and then joined the other organisation and set the other test as well ... it's a way of driving with a different selection of individuals and continuing the learning process.

Personally, I found it invaluable to continue learning by training with different people, thanks to joining different advanced driving organisations. It broadened and deepened my knowledge and skills, because different instructors spot different things. In addition, Examiners for the IAM/RoSPA/DIAmond generally provide some of the most valuable feedback, because of their exceptional level of expertise. Consequently, I found the tests themselves to be some of the most useful learning experiences; I got a lot out of them.
Zebedee

Postby ExadiNigel » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:42 am

martine wrote:Well there you go - I stand corrected, thanks guys.

So if the Diamond Advanced test has the same marking basis and max. number of faults (6) to the ADI Part 2 test...what's the difference?

You're paying money to a commercial company rather than a Government Agency. ;-)

There is also the Diamond Special Test which is the Cardington alternative.
Ex - ADI & Fleet Trainer, RoADAR Diploma, National Standards Cycling Instructor, ex- Registered Assessor for BTEC in Driving Science, ex-Member RoADAR & IAM, Plymouth, ex - SAFED registered trainer
ExadiNigel

Postby michael769 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:57 pm

The most significant difference between RoSPAand IAM is that the IAM pass is for life whilst With RoSPA you need to retest every 3 years.

There is also a difference cost wise. The IAM offers the Skill dor Life package which includes a book, the test 1 years membership and tuition via your local group. It currently costs £139. With Rospa the test is currently £48 and you get tuition by joining your local group as an associate. The cost of associate membership varies from goup to group but it generally works out cheaper in total the the IAM. With RoSPA you will also need to buy a copy of Roadcraft. If you keep your RoSPA membership up to date then the retests are free, and your local group will provide refreshers to their members.

Another factor to look into is what local groups are near to you and if they have any waiting lists, some groups do have waiting lists and sometimes it can be quicker to go with one rather than the other (I did the IAM whilst waiting for a RoSPA Tutor to become available).

As you can see the costs are significantly lower than any other form of driver tuition, i don't know what the costs of the DIA is but I would expect that you would need to pay the instructor their usual training rates which are probably a little higher than what they charge for a learner. The are also private trainers put there who provide training either for IAM/RoSPA or ome other flavour of Advanced Driving, but they too can be rather expensive.

If you want to get an idea of what is invoved, I would suggest getting a copy of Roadcraft, a new edition has just been published tis month. If you care to share with us your general location you might find one of our members local to you might be willing to take you out for a little demo.
michael769

Postby ExadiNigel » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:26 pm

michael769 wrote:The IAM offers the Skill dor Life package which includes a book, the test 1 years membership and tuition via your local group. It currently costs £139.

Sorry Michael, but I am going to be pedantic. The £139 pays for the book, membership & test. The tuition is free from both the IAM and RoSPA since the observers/tutors are not allowed to charge for the training and, if not an ADI it would be illegal too.
ExadiNigel

Postby martine » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:34 am

But then again - lets not focus on cost...the more expensive IAM route is still an absolute pittance for what you get and crikey, £139...what's that...2 tyres or < 3 tanks of fuel?

Much better to choose a local group that's convenient, efficient and you like the people - rather than thinking you need to go for ROSPA because it might save £50.
martine

Next

Return to Advanced Driving Forum