Observation Links - Smell

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby Slink_Pink » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:56 pm

While perusing the new Roadcraft I was thinking about observation links based on smell. The examples it gives are:

Diesel - spillage, slippery surface
Bonfire - smoke/reduced visibility (possibly also emergency vehicles)
Cut grass - slow moving vehicles in road ahead

Can anyone suggest other examples? The lists for sight and sound are pretty expansive but I thought that it might be beneficial to discuss this specifically to add to our respective repertoires of driving tools & techniques from each others' experiences.
Q: "Need I remind you, 007, that you have a license to kill, not to break the traffic laws."
Slink_Pink

Postby michael769 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:13 pm

Manure - Large clods flying over the hedge onto the car (yes this has happened!).
Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open
Thomas Robert Dewar(1864-1930)
michael769

Postby buachaille » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:16 pm

Sewage works have a certain aroma. Landfill sites too.

Could be tankers/HGVs entering/exiting, debris on road etc.
buachaille

Postby 7db » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:20 pm

The shipwrecks of others?
7db

Postby trashbat » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:38 pm

Cabin smells heavily of alcohol: be aware that a whole can of contact cleaner is now spraying itself liberally all around your boot

Cabin smells heavily of solvent: be aware that you still need to remove all those oily, Autosol-covered cloths from your boot like you should have done weeks ago

Cabin smells heavily of petrol: be aware that the automatic stop on the pump at the local Esso garage doesn't work and you should try not to get it all over your shoes next time

Cabin smells faintly of dirty fridge: be aware that it has been too long since you did your pollen filter, and also, be aware that it is located in the seventh circle of hell, somewhere inside the passenger footwell where you now need to fit your whole body

Cabin smells faintly of leather balm: be aware that you have wasted your afternoon applying expensive cleaning chemicals to seats that are (a) already perfectly fine and (b) covered so heavily in plastic that it renders the exercise wholly pointless. At least it won't last.

Not what you had in mind? Well, as Roadcraft says, you should anticipate and plan for the distractions from your driving once The Lady is introduced to any of the above.
Rob - IAM F1RST, Alfa Romeo 156 JTS
trashbat

Postby 7db » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:42 pm

I've followed a driver from whose open window was emanating the most heady of green aromas. I decided to give him a little more room.
7db

Return to Advanced Driving Forum