Tutoring/Observing

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby Slink_Pink » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:03 pm

Does this really improve your driving? I understand why it should in theory but would like to hear of some real life experiences if anyone is willing to share.
Q: "Need I remind you, 007, that you have a license to kill, not to break the traffic laws."
Slink_Pink

Postby martine » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:19 pm

I think it helps in at least 2 ways...

1) helps to keep you on the ball...if you have to do demos and explain stuff you have to be sure of what you're doing and do it right!

2) an associate might suggest a new way of doing something which if you think it has merit, can be incorporated to your own driving - it's a 2-way thing
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby michael769 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:33 pm

Since I started tutoring (this year) it has forced me to think a little more about what I do when I am driving.

I have certainly found it has made me aware of how I drive.
Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open
Thomas Robert Dewar(1864-1930)
michael769

Postby trashbat » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:05 pm

If I ever pass the check drive, I'm considering writing a diary on here. This has anonymity issues though, so I'm not sure. Any thoughts?

Meanwhile, I sat in on a couple of people, silently. It was an interesting opportunity to purely observe someone who cares about and is concentrating on their driving (to some extent), but may not have everything right. I saw lots of bad behaviours I've now successfully got rid of, and their effects. I saw the positive applications and results from doing as I would, and also opportunities where the driver didn't get it wrong but could have done better (primarily progress).
Rob - IAM F1RST, Alfa Romeo 156 JTS
trashbat

Postby Ralge » Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:52 am

Anything that helps you drive in a state of Reflective Competence (one of self-awareness, self-critique ..) is good and allows a detachment that fosters assessment and teaching.
RC is the fifth state that oversees the other 4 states in a competence development model:
Unconscious Incompetence (stalled but what happened?),
Conscious Incompetence (stalled, but knows what happened),
Conscious Competence (very alert and focused on the driving task, fraught even, just passed or driving abroad for the first time),
and Unconscious Competence (relaxed, no worries, I know the feel of this vehicle, done this, been here before, autopilot, possibly).

A driving commentary out aloud or running silently in our head can place us into an RC state and allow us to reflect on our performance. The same structure, discipline and system (how would i have tackled that ...?) allows suitably qualified and experienced observers/assessors to objectively look at someone else's driving performance and to give guidance.
Fleet ADI, RoSPA Dip, RoADTest examiner.
Ralge

Postby Horse » Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:41 pm

I'd not heard the RC term for the fifth level. But I see that level as essential for an instructor by being able to consciously deconstruct an activity in order to teach it.

That's also why an essential IMO that training develops self-awareness at the same rate as skills.
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby Ralge » Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:56 pm

Horse wrote:I'd not heard the RC term for the fifth level. But I see that level as essential for an instructor by being able to consciously deconstruct an activity in order to teach it.

That's also why an essential IMO that training develops self-awareness at the same rate as skills.

I didn't know about RC until I researched for a job-interview PowerPoint presentation on affecting driver competence levels.
Back in 2002, RC was added in since, prior to that Unconscious Competence was seen as the end-point, being able to do something competently without having to think too hard about it. But this doesn't sit too well with the still higher level of competence that is required by teachers.
This rang very true for me when I moved eons ago from Part 2 (how I drive) to Part 3 (how I instruct) ADI training and my trainer told me to teach him how to parallel park, something I only did "seat-of-pants" prior to that. It hit me hard and fast that I would not be able to teach a method without having grasped one myself.

You are right, whatever level of driving competence a driver aspires to or actually achieves, the biggest change any training can bring about is that brought about by the driver's willingness, motivation or desire to self-assess and to become a better on-road risk manager.
I openly admit to not having a magic wand!
Fleet ADI, RoSPA Dip, RoADTest examiner.
Ralge

Postby daz6215 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:11 pm

daz6215

Postby true blue » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:48 pm

Not a driving story I'm afraid, but I spend a lot of my time coaching rowers. On the (far too seldom) occasions when I get out on to the water myself, I'm always alone and without any form of coaching/observation/guidance.

I find that coaching focusses my mind on what is basically intuitive to me now, and I usually have to think of two or three different ways of explanation before all 8 rowers in a crew will get the idea. I also back things up with specific training exercises. When I find I have a problem in my own boat, nine times out of ten my coaching skills allow me to stop, clear my mind, spend a minute or two on an exercise perhaps and then move on.

Sometimes though I'm just having a crap day, and no amount of mental enlightenment can make me do things properly myself. Much like driving.
true blue

Postby Zebedee » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:22 pm

Does the name 'true blue' mean you have a Blue for rowing then?
Zebedee

Postby true blue » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:56 pm

Sadly not - it is a rowing reference rather than a political statement though!
true blue

Postby drivingsteve » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:49 pm

A little off-topic perhaps, but as an observer, don't you worry about the potential accusations of providing instruction "for reward" whilst not being a qualified ADI? I know the observer isn't being paid directly, but the parent organisation is (through IAM and RoSPA memberships).

Most people join initially to gain guidance to pass their advanced test, so this is in effect offering tuition for monetary reward.
drivingsteve

Postby GJD » Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:21 pm

drivingsteve wrote:A little off-topic perhaps, but as an observer, don't you worry about the potential accusations of providing instruction "for reward" whilst not being a qualified ADI?

No, because...

drivingsteve wrote:...the observer isn't being paid

What has concerned me with my last two associates is that they've both wanted to refer to me as their 'insturctor' and our drives together as 'lessons', and one took some persuading to stop trying to offer me money over and above what they'd paid to the IAM. That suggests that the IAM doesn't always do a very good job of explaining to associates what it is that they're buying.
GJD

Postby superplum » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:11 pm

[quote="GJD" That suggests that the IAM doesn't always do a very good job of explaining to associates what it is that they're buying.[/quote]

Then this is also the fault of your group and tutors. It should be made perfectly clear before any observing/tutoring commences. Is it clearly stated on your Group website?
:?
superplum

Postby drivingsteve » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:16 pm

GJD wrote:
drivingsteve wrote:A little off-topic perhaps, but as an observer, don't you worry about the potential accusations of providing instruction "for reward" whilst not being a qualified ADI?

No, because...

drivingsteve wrote:...the observer isn't being paid

What has concerned me with my last two associates is that they've both wanted to refer to me as their 'insturctor' and our drives together as 'lessons', and one took some persuading to stop trying to offer me money over and above what they'd paid to the IAM. That suggests that the IAM doesn't always do a very good job of explaining to associates what it is that they're buying.

The bottom line is that if a member of the public approached the IAM requesting instruction/guidance/observation without them being a member of the group, their request would be rejected. Joining the IAM costs money, so in a roundabout way, they are offering a form of tuition in return for financial payment.

Clearly I don't have a massive problem with this as I have been an IAM member myself and benefitted from what it does. I'm just intrigued by an arrangement that must be pretty close to the line in legal terms.
drivingsteve

Next

Return to Advanced Driving Forum