Centre-lining single carriageway

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby nigelc » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:17 am

TripleS wrote:Heh, when I first saw this thread title, I thought it was going to be about road markings, i.e. the type of linework used.

Suggestion: single carriageway roads of normal width, i.e. wide enough to allow two vehicles to pass comfortably, should be marked with a centre-line comprising short bits of white line with largeish gaps. Forget about hazard lines, which good drivers don't need, and the rest will not know what they're about and therefore derive no benefit from them.

Also: scrap the double white line system, which all too often is not appropriate to the situation in terms of whether or not safe overtakes can be made.

Right, there you go; start issuing the flak. :lol:

Too late, already scrapped the double white lines here on the approach to a blind summit. :?

My two penneth, or whatever that is in new money.

Driving along the white line gives an equally good view of entrances on both sides. You shouldn't be caught out by someone pulling out because you should have seen them, if it's a blind entrance then I would be moving over in good time just in case. That's the point of observation, surely.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity. I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
nigelc

Previous

Return to Advanced Driving Forum