Driving phrases/acronyms

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby Lingo » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:49 pm

Hi everyone,

I heard not too long ago about the acronym 'TOUR' which stands for looking Through, Over, Under and Round other road users to assist with observations. I thought it was pretty good and just wondered if anyone else had come across any interesting or memorable sayings or acronyms which they wanted to share on the topic of advanced driving?
IAM F1RST award.
---
Keep it smooth. Keep it stable.
Lingo

Postby dombooth » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:21 pm

Welcome to the forum, there a good thread here:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=676

Dom
Dominic Booth
Chesterfield IAM Chairman & Webmaster
IAM F1RST & RoADAR Gold

ALL OF MY POSTS ARE OF MY OPINION ONLY AND NOT THAT OF MY GROUP UNLESS OTHERWISE STATED.
dombooth

Postby Ralge » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:41 pm

I use OUTA (as in the fake Italian phrase "looking outa for da bambinos") for over, under, through, around.
Bob and Tom, my old favourites (a mirror sweep for two-wheelers)
"Has he got a mate?" (Reps leaving the office, blue light user, laddo walking from behind the bus,van .., deer ...)
"Male or female?" - an admittedly provocative question but one that nails the benefit of eye-contact with those planning to enter your bubble from the sides.
"Any cowboys or injun's"? Where you see the painted arrows and a lane closing/merging.
And more.
Fleet ADI, RoSPA Dip, RoADTest examiner.
Ralge

Postby Horse » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:22 am

Ralge wrote:I use . . . "Has he got a mate?" (Reps leaving the office, blue light user, laddo walking from behind the bus,van .., deer ...)

I use "Where there's one there's another"

Ralge wrote: "Male or female?" - an admittedly provocative question but one that nails the benefit of eye-contact with those planning to enter your bubble from the sides.

Rather than 'mirror', ask yourself (or your trainee/associate) "What's there?" Which then prompts the question "How can that affect me?"

Ralge wrote: "Any cowboys or injun's"? Where you see the painted arrows and a lane closing/merging.

Is it politically correct nowadays to call indiginous North Americans 'indians'? ;)

My lad come up wit ha good one for throwback arrows, after watching the 'Storage Hunters' auctioneer:
"Going once, going twice, fair warning!"
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby daz6215 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:06 pm

Ralge wrote: (Reps leaving the office,
And more.

I thought REPS was Rear End Protection System! :lol: :lol: :lol:
daz6215

Return to Advanced Driving Forum