An IAM/DSA Tossed Salad

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby fungus » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:32 pm

TripleS wrote:It will surprise no one to learn that I normally steer a course that feels natural, which means I drive over the hatched areas, which I regard as being 'necessary.'

As you say Dave, there are many hatched areas that have virtually no taper. As an examiner once said to one of my ex pupils when she passed her test, "You tried very hard to keep out of the hatched areas when entering right turn boxes. Some are so sharp that you simply have to cut across the hatched area to enter the box as the car can not just lurch sideways. The examiner who took me for my IAM test, an ex Met class 1 when asked about the large hatched area on the Oakly Roundabout on the A349 between Wimborne and Poole and whether it would be
acceptable to cross the hatchings replied, "they're surrounded by broken lines, drive over the bloody things, they're totally unnecessary and you're likely to get someone try to overtake you if you go out wide to pass round them."
https://maps.google.com/?ll=50.785423,- ... 0,36.041,0
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby TripleS » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:45 pm

fungus wrote:
TripleS wrote:It will surprise no one to learn that I normally steer a course that feels natural, which means I drive over the hatched areas, which I regard as being 'necessary.'

As you say Dave, there are many hatched areas that have virtually no taper. As an examiner once said to one of my ex pupils when she passed her test, "You tried very hard to keep out of the hatched areas when entering right turn boxes. Some are so sharp that you simply have to cut across the hatched area to enter the box as the car can not just lurch sideways. The examiner who took me for my IAM test, an ex Met class 1 when asked about the large hatched area on the Oakly Roundabout on the A349 between Wimborne and Poole and whether it would be
acceptable to cross the hatchings replied, "they're surrounded by broken lines, drive over the bloody things, they're totally unnecessary and you're likely to get someone try to overtake you if you go out wide to pass round them."
https://maps.google.com/?ll=50.785423,- ... 0,36.041,0

Thank you. Well there you go then: that is the kind of solid practical attitude I appreciate.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby nightflight » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:32 am

AIUI it was acceptable to drive over ghost islands if necessary as long as it didn't involve contravening a solid white line?
nightflight

Postby martine » Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:56 pm

You sure about that? The hatching in the first one is (I think) because the 'main' route is straight-on at the next roundabout. It forces those that are turning left to make a conscious decision to move left and helps stop those going straight on finding themselves in a left-turn only lane.

The second one is to make the opening of the 2nd lane more definite rather than just gradually appearing with the danger of drivers squeezing through too early (I guess).
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby revian » Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:34 pm

I think Martine is right...

I wonder if the best hatchings just help flow and we don't notice what they have actually done... They just flow...
Wirral
revian

Postby fungus » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:51 pm

I'm afraid I agree with mefoster. I'm of the opinion that the use of hatched areas are greatly over used.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Previous

Return to Advanced Driving Forum