Progressive Driving

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby Ralge » Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:58 pm

michael769 wrote:I am puzzled by the reluctance to use high revs. Unless the car is modified to be unenecessarily noisy, other drivers don't really hear the engine noise of other vehicles from inside their cars so unless there is a concern around pedestrians and cyclists hering the revs (and that would only be a concern on quiet roads as road noise will make it unnoticable in heavy traffic conditions.

Unless of course you are driving a heavy that is.

I am also rather bemused by the comment "firm but almost imperceptable acceleration". Surely firm and almost imperceptable and at different ends of the acceleration range from the media and thus mutually exclusive.

I was also bemused by the suggested use of "low rev's" since it didn't sit too well with a previously expressed desire to progress and/or take the gap briskly and in an assertive and businesslike manner. It's all relative but a more responsive lower gear to avoid sluggishness in getting past and through hazards is better surely?
Fleet ADI, RoSPA Dip, RoADTest examiner.
Ralge

Postby fungus » Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:20 pm

Ralge wrote:I was also bemused by the suggested use of "low rev's" since it didn't sit too well with a previously expressed desire to progress and/or take the gap briskly and in an assertive and businesslike manner. It's all relative but a more responsive lower gear to avoid sluggishness in getting past and through hazards is better surely?

I agree, unless Tosh has a very torquey 3 litre turbo diesel, I would have thought that a lower gear would give brisk acceleration, although the daughters R 53 Cooper S doesn't pull too badly from 2000 rpm.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:43 pm

Interesting thoughts, but I bet you didn't get your RoSPA Gold driving like that! :shock:
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby WhoseGeneration » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:49 pm

Thing is, any of us, having achieved whichever AD standard or beyond we each have, does it then matter how we then drive, so long as it complies with the basic tenets of AD?
It's getting many more others to adhere to those tenets that matters.
Always a commentary, spoken or not.
Keeps one safe. One hopes.
WhoseGeneration

Postby Silk » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:05 am

Tosh wrote:Being able to move at a rapid pace without drawing attention is very much an aspect of my work.

You're going to have to tell us what you do now?

Are you a getaway driver? :shock:
Silk

Postby Tosh » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:26 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:Interesting thoughts, but I bet you didn't get your RoSPA Gold driving like that! :shock:

All the techniques I have mentioned were used in the RoSPA test. They were demonstrated using a full commentary so the examiner was fully aware of my thought process, planning and to that extent he was satisfied my driving was to the RoSPA Gold standard.

On the question of acceleration, the vehicles I drive all have six cylinder engines, some turbo diesel and some petrol so all benefit from a early and relatively high torque curve that begins at around 2000 rpm and tails off after 6000 rpm so in many instances it is not necessary to rev any higher or to remain in a low gear to get the best out of them.

This method was demonstrated, along with the traditional low gear, high rev method, during the test and again the examiner was satisfied that it showed that I was able to utilise different areas of the vehicles power band and achieve the same results whilst showing a greater degree of mechanical sympathy, economy and reduced NVH
Tosh

Postby TripleS » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:37 pm

WhoseGeneration wrote:Thing is, any of us, having achieved whichever AD standard or beyond we each have, does it then matter how we then drive, so long as it complies with the basic tenets of AD?

"...having achieved whichever AD standard or beyond we each have..." he says.

But what does poor old Dave do, given that 'e ain't achieved anything recognisable in AD terms? :(
Just do the best he can, I suppose, and hope it's good enough.

I do agree with your last sentence though.
Brilliant driving by the few, or good driving by the many, eh?

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby TripleS » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:41 pm

Silk wrote:
Tosh wrote:Being able to move at a rapid pace without drawing attention is very much an aspect of my work.

You're going to have to tell us what you do now?

Are you a getaway driver? :shock:

Yeah, that's why I sold him my 3.8 Mark 2 Jaguar. That had a very quick throttle response, and it would pull strongly from low revs in high gears. 8)
TripleS

Postby Horse » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:37 am

TripleS wrote:
WhoseGeneration wrote:Thing is, any of us, having achieved whichever AD standard or beyond we each have, does it then matter how we then drive, so long as it complies with the basic tenets of AD?

But what does poor old Dave do, given that 'e ain't achieved anything recognisable in AD terms? :(

'Achieved', or 'have a certificate to say you achieved it for an hour'? ;)

Safe & smooth, that's all that's important. After that, it's down to style :) IMHO, of course ;)
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby TripleS » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:48 pm

Horse wrote:
TripleS wrote:

'Achieved', or 'have a certificate to say you achieved it for an hour'? ;)

Safe & smooth, that's all that's important. After that, it's down to style :) IMHO, of course ;)

Thanks for that. Just for a moment I feel I have a little more legitimacy here, before I say something that calls it into question yet again. :)

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby sussex2 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:37 am

Re; the Northern Ireland Highway Code.

If there is no traffic (or other road users) at or on the roundabout why signal? I understand that a Highway Code has to generalise.
I'm not bothered about the old Romanians and Bulgarians but the Old Etonians scare me rigid.
sussex2

Previous

Return to Advanced Driving Forum