Disregard of Speed Limits

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby drivingsteve » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:59 pm

I don't know if it was a particularly bad day for it, or if was paying extra attention to the issue, but on a long journey home this weekend, I was amazed by the number of drivers demonstrating a total disregard for speed limits.

I'm particularly disciplined in this area of my driving but I noticed on all types of road, ranging from 30mph to 70mph zones that if I drove near enough exactly at the speed limit, there would always be vehicles waiting to get past, or actually overtaking me.

I know there's disagreement regarding the suitability of some speed limits, but that's a separate arguement. For now, the numbers on sticks are legalling binding and offer no room for subjectivity as to whether they must be obeyed.

Even in the field of advanced driving, where we aim to demonstrate ability and flexibility in our approach which is above and beyond the average motorist, we surely have an obligation to do so within the law.
drivingsteve

Postby 7db » Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:25 pm

Did you test your horn before setting off?
7db

Postby waremark » Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:27 pm

A very difficult question to discuss in a public forum - sensible folk whose personal values say it is sometimes ok to exceed the speed limit may well not want to explain their position openly. And there are many sensible folk with such values.
waremark

Postby waremark » Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:28 pm

7db wrote:Did you test your horn before setting off?

Not me. But what am I missing here? What on earth is this about?
waremark

Postby jont » Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:36 pm

waremark wrote:

Technical legalities one imagines.
jont

Postby TripleS » Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:44 pm

drivingsteve wrote:I don't know if it was a particularly bad day for it, or if I was paying extra attention to the issue, but on a long journey home this weekend, I was amazed by the number of drivers demonstrating a total disregard for speed limits.

I'm particularly disciplined in this area of my driving but I noticed on all types of road, ranging from 30mph to 70mph zones that if I drove near enough exactly at the speed limit, there would always be vehicles waiting to get past, or actually overtaking me.

I know there's disagreement regarding the suitability of some speed limits, but that's a separate argument. For now, the numbers on sticks are legally binding and offer no room for subjectivity as to whether they must be obeyed.

Even in the field of advanced driving, where we aim to demonstrate ability and flexibility in our approach which is above and beyond the average motorist, we surely have an obligation to do so within the law.

Hmm, sort of, I suppose, if you're fussy about such matters.
TripleS

Postby PeterE » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:25 pm

drivingsteve wrote:I don't know if it was a particularly bad day for it, or if was paying extra attention to the issue, but on a long journey home this weekend, I was amazed by the number of drivers demonstrating a total disregard for speed limits.

It's an interesting question as to why disregard for (many) speed limits is so widespread, but surely you've noticed this before? :roll:

And I'm sure I read a press release from the DfT a year or so ago saying that the level of speed limit compliance had actually increased in recent years.
"No matter how elaborate the rules might be, there is not a glimmer of hope that they can cover the infinite variation in real driving situations." (Stephen Haley, from "Mind Driving")
PeterE

Postby lordgrover » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:33 pm

It's more noticeable to me recently, but that's because like most 'civilians', I've been a serial offender. It's only since I've started 'formal AD' that I've rigidly observed limits. That and the ever-reducing limits in hitherto NSL country roads and lanes to 50 and even 40 mph.
lordgrover

Postby superplum » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:36 pm

At a recent group meeting, our County Road Safety Dept stated that, during 2012, over 17,000 people attended the county-run National Speed Awareness Courses. Next time, that could result in 17k fines and 51k points awarded!

Does that tell us something?

:shock:
superplum

Postby trashbat » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:58 pm

How do you know your speedometer is accurate? What would happen if you drove at the 'true' GPS speed?

I have the opposite problem, if one can call it that - hardly ever get overtaken, only rarely get badly tailgated, but consistently come across people driving anywhere between 35 and 50mph in NSL zones. I suspect that most people think that NSL means 50.
Rob - IAM F1RST, Alfa Romeo 156 JTS
trashbat

Postby Horse » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:35 pm

jont wrote:
waremark wrote:

Technical legalities one imagines.

'Tree falling in a forest' though, surely? ;)

Serious point is that unless OP is doing something to attract attention (and subsequent inspection) it's very unlikely that a failed audible warning device will result in either a crash or attracting the attention of the police (or anyone else for that matter - the OP was obviously concerned enough to post, but inconsiderate driving could affect many people in many ways, pedestrians for example).

Inappropriate speed is, I'm sure, something which would be frowned upon by even the most 'progressive' drivers here, so perhaps it would be useful for OP to enlarge upon that aspect.

However, it's undeniable that higher speeds adversely affect the outcome of crashes, and disparate speeds (eg 'speeder', whether illegal or inappropriate, relative to other traffic) is likely to make a crash more likely.
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby 7db » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:22 am

I apologise if the horn test is oblique - I thought it was regularly trotted out.

You're required to ensure your car is in good working condition, including the horn, before setting off.
You aren't allowed to sound the horn while stationary (except in limited circumstances).

It's an example of a legal requirement that really doesn't make a lot of difference. Such as minor speed infractions.

As Horse observes -- unless OP is doing something to attract attention (and subsequent inspection) it's very unlikely that a [minor speed infringement] will result in either a crash or attracting the attention of the police.
7db

Postby JamesAllport » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:58 am

As the credit crunch hit, I was commuting every day down the M11 and M25 from Cambridge to Greenhithe in Kent. I noticed a real change during that year - far more drivers obeyed the 70mph limit as the price of fuel rose and the economy got tougher.

I now drive every few days from Chichester to Nottingham and would say that I still think more drivers are more law abiding than they were two years ago. The exception is the M6 toll road, which I occasionally use, where very often everyone I can see is well over 85mph.

All I would say is that despite slower speeds I don't feel any safer on the motorway than I did two years ago...

James
Only two things matter: attitude & entry speeds.
JamesAllport

Postby drivingsteve » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:58 am

waremark wrote:A very difficult question to discuss in a public forum - sensible folk whose personal values say it is sometimes ok to exceed the speed limit may well not want to explain their position openly. And there are many sensible folk with such values.

If their position is sensible and defensible, they shouldn’t be worried about explaining their position openly.

PeterE wrote:It's an interesting question as to why disregard for (many) speed limits is so widespread, but surely you've noticed this before? :roll:

And I'm sure I read a press release from the DfT a year or so ago saying that the level of speed limit compliance had actually increased in recent years.

That is interesting. I suppose it can only be a result of one of two factors: Either driving standards have improved and people are intrinsically more law-abiding, or the fear of speed cameras has started to filter through and make people more cautious of getting caught.

lordgrover wrote:It's more noticeable to me recently, but that's because like most 'civilians', I've been a serial offender. It's only since I've started 'formal AD' that I've rigidly observed limits. That and the ever-reducing limits in hitherto NSL country roads and lanes to 50 and even 40 mph.

I think a similar situation applies to me. I became an advanced driver at a similar time to receiving 3 points for a 30mph infringement. I made a conscious decision at that time that the only way to guarantee that this wouldn't happen again is to never exceed a speed limit, regardless of how unnecessary it might seem.

Horse wrote:However, it's undeniable that higher speeds adversely affect the outcome of crashes, and disparate speeds (eg 'speeder', whether illegal or inappropriate, relative to other traffic) is likely to make a crash more likely.

Quite right! It's interesting you should make this statement given the difficulties I had on another post trying to get certain people to acknowledge the basic principal that the consequences of an accident are likely to be more serious at higher speeds!

7db wrote:It's an example of a legal requirement that really doesn't make a lot of difference. Such as minor speed infractions.

... it's very unlikely that a [minor speed infringement] will result in either a crash or attracting the attention of the police.

I'm not necessarily talking about minor infringements, such as creeping a few mph abnove 30 in a relatively quiet built up area. I've observed frequent incidents where other drivers blasting past me on a single carriageway when I'm doing dead on 60mph.

JamesAllport wrote:As the credit crunch hit, I was commuting every day down the M11 and M25 from Cambridge to Greenhithe in Kent. I noticed a real change during that year - far more drivers obeyed the 70mph limit as the price of fuel rose and the economy got tougher.

I tend to only do 60mph on my short but daily motorway journey to work for exactly this reason. It's surprising the difference in cost it makes after a week or two.

Some interesting responses to this post. It seems to me there are two differing approaches to speed limits. One is to apply flexibility and personal judgement as to when they should be obeyed, and to what degree of leniency we should allow ourselves. The other is to accept them as black and white and to exercise our advanced driving skills within the constraints of the law.

I suppose it's a matter of personal opinion which approach represents the best interpretation of advanced driving.
drivingsteve

Postby 7db » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:23 pm

drivingsteve wrote:I suppose it's a matter of personal opinion which approach represents the best interpretation of advanced driving.

Always be able to stop in the distance you can see to be clear and reasonably expect to remain so.

The rest is just technique.
7db

Next

Return to Advanced Driving Forum