Application of rule 145?

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby TripleS » Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:19 pm

Hiya Sally, and everyone, sorry about my slightly prickly tone last time.

OK forgetting about tailgating situations, I always try to be alert to what following drivers may wish to do, and so far as possible I try to co-operate with their intentions. Apart from a wish to minimise the risk of conflict and hassle, it's this promoting harmony thing of mine again!

Of course one can not always be sure what their wishes are, but if I find myself leading a queue and I sense that they wish to go faster I'll either speed up (exceeding the NSL if necessary) or help them to get past. If they can not get past (due to configuration of road and/or oncoming traffic) and I don't wish to speed up, I'll get out of their way, and I will use a convenient layby etc. to facilitate this.

I don't do this sort of thing because I feel I have to, it is simply the way I prefer to relate to other road users, and at the moment I am not convinced that I am wrong to behave in this way, but I'm still listening.

I hope this has not introduced further confusion.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby Lady Godiva » Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:21 pm

Another (very quick) point that I have just thought of.

We have been talking about NSL up to now. However, I can assure you that if you drive to the limit, a queue can form behind you very easily. By the limit I mean max 30mph in a 30 zone etc.

If this happens am I supposed to pull over and stop, in case those that are behind want to go faster?

At this rate I am never going to get anywhere at all. So much for making progress.

Regards
Sally (I'm not prickly just very confused) Johnson
Lady Godiva

Postby vonhosen » Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:28 pm

Lady Godiva wrote:Another (very quick) point that I have just thought of.

We have been talking about NSL up to now. However, I can assure you that if you drive to the limit, a queue can form behind you very easily. By the limit I mean max 30mph in a 30 zone etc.

If this happens am I supposed to pull over and stop, in case those that are behind want to go faster?

At this rate I am never going to get anywhere at all. So much for making progress.

Regards
Sally (I'm not prickly just very confused) Johnson

If you have people behind you in a SC road & you are travelling at the maximum permittable for any vehicle on that road, I wouldn't be pulling over to let people pass unless in my judgement there is someone behind who poses a very real threat to myself &/or others.

Your mirror checks & awareness of those behind should provide you with sufficient evidence of that & you can then act accordingly.
Any views expressed are mine & mine alone.
I do not represent my employer or these forums.
vonhosen

Postby MikeG » Tue Jul 18, 2006 6:47 pm

Gareth wrote:I'm bemused by the attitude of some drivers on the road, who seem to think that because they are travelling at the highest allowable speed for the section of road then they have no responsibility towards other road users who are following behind.

In my view, people who travel at the posted limit and disregard the queue building up behind, and who are willfully ignoring Rules 144 and 145, are potentially increasing the danger for all road users in their vicinity.

This is just the thing that Doncaster Council are advocating with their 'Pace Car' scheme. Drivers sign up for this scheme, display a sticker and then become a mobile traffic calming measure. I'm not sure how this is progressing as I've not heard anything about the scheme lately, but it came in for a lot of flak from various quarters when it was launched.

http://www.doncaster.gov.uk/Living_in_Doncaster/Neighbourhoods/Community_Safety/Safer_Streets_and_Roads/Community_Pace_Car_Scheme.asp
http://www.abd.org.uk/pr/475.htm
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/64085/pace_car_safety_scheme_a_flop.html
Last edited by MikeG on Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
At the end of the day even when you have tried to plan for every eventuality the unexpected can happen.
MikeG

Postby 7db » Tue Jul 18, 2006 6:53 pm

I was published in the Bristol Evening Post when they proposed it there. My comments weren't that complimentary...
7db

Postby 7db » Tue Jul 18, 2006 6:54 pm

vonhosen wrote:If you have people behind you in a SC road & you are travelling at the maximum permittable for any vehicle on that road, I wouldn't be pulling over to let people pass unless in my judgement there is someone behind who poses a very real threat to myself &/or others.

what about other vehicles which have exemptions but are not fitted with warning equipment?
7db

Postby vonhosen » Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:44 pm

7db wrote:
vonhosen wrote:If you have people behind you in a SC road & you are travelling at the maximum permittable for any vehicle on that road, I wouldn't be pulling over to let people pass unless in my judgement there is someone behind who poses a very real threat to myself &/or others.

what about other vehicles which have exemptions but are not fitted with warning equipment?

What about them, what are you thinking of in particular ?
vonhosen

Postby 7db » Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:54 am

Not sure I had a specific fr'instance in mind, it was just the thought that you might not know or recognise other road users who were entitled to legally drive quickly, and so preventing furher progress of others because you believed that you were at their limit "so ner-ner", wasn't necessarily reliable.

It was just your phase "maximum permittable for any vehicle" that got me thinking.
7db

Postby vonhosen » Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:15 am

7db wrote:Not sure I had a specific fr'instance in mind, it was just the thought that you might not know or recognise other road users who were entitled to legally drive quickly, and so preventing furher progress of others because you believed that you were at their limit "so ner-ner", wasn't necessarily reliable.

It was just your phase "maximum permittable for any vehicle" that got me thinking.

The safe progress of any emergency vehicle is the reponsibility of the driver. In the absence of "emergency equipment" to help facilitate their passage through traffic, they will have to rely on skills they have been taught. If the cicrumstances are such that there is no safe overtake, then there is no safe overtake. They shouldn't be trying to barge their way through, they have no way of displaying their emergency status.
There is many a time I have sat in a long line of traffic & have to wait patiently for a safe opportunity to develop. So be it.
vonhosen

Postby 7db » Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:12 am

vonhosen wrote:...They shouldn't be trying to barge their way through, they have no way of displaying their emergency status.
There is many a time I have sat in a long line of traffic & have to wait patiently for a safe opportunity to develop. So be it.

I'm sure a polite single flash of the headlamps to alert drivers ahead to their relative speed and intention to progress would be ok? If ignored, then, perhaps so be it; sit and wait. Obviously no "barging through" is acceptable - it's careless driving - as is repeated headlamp flashing.
7db

Postby James » Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:30 am

7db wrote:
vonhosen wrote:...They shouldn't be trying to barge their way through, they have no way of displaying their emergency status.

I'm sure a polite single flash of the headlamps to alert drivers ahead to their relative speed and intention to progress would be ok? If ignored, then, perhaps so be it; sit and wait. Obviously no "barging through" is acceptable - it's careless driving - as is repeated headlamp flashing.

A headlight flash will still not be able to identify the fact they are an emergency vehicle. It may even cause an adverse reaction.
James

Postby 7db » Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:43 am

That is true, but there may be no way of identifying its emergency status. A headlamp flash at the least ensures the driver ahead is aware and deliberately blocking, not just completely unaware.
7db

Postby James » Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:58 pm

7db wrote:That is true, but there may be no way of identifying its emergency status. A headlamp flash at the least ensures the driver ahead is aware and deliberately blocking, not just completely unaware.

Which means therefore the headight flash has gained a driver in front even more determined not to let you past.
James

Postby vonhosen » Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:45 pm

I'd use the headlamp flash on dual carriageway to make a vehicle aware of my presence, where a vehicle has a free n/s lane & there is no danger for them going there (ie poor lane discipline on their part.)

I wouldn't do so in SC road as it is ambiguous, unreasonable & could be looked upon as aggressive. If an emergency "time critical" response is really required, then send a suitably equipped car. Other than that a non emergency equipped car can still lawfully use exemptions available, but just won't be able to expect any assistance from others, they'll have to make progress only where they can safely without inconveniencing others.
vonhosen

Previous

Return to Advanced Driving Forum