Roundabouts (again)

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby Silk » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:51 pm

TR4ffic wrote:Good advice all round, I think. After some more deliberation, the only thing I could add to previous posts would to be aware of following traffic's 'body language' in the lead up to the roundabout - If they've been travelling close (tailgating) and/or appear to be generally in a hurry, indicate right but stay central to the single lane entry (especially if you have to give way/stop for traffic already on the roundabout).

If you have a clean entry into the roundabout and stay central to the entry lane, with a bit of commitment, I would imagine you’ve eliminated any possibility of getting paralleled up on the roundabout no matter what exit the following traffic is intending to take.

I'll be using that roundabout in about an hour from now. I'll be taking the A46 exit. I'll take a closer look to see what all the fuss is about :wink:
Silk

Postby TripleS » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:16 pm

TR4ffic wrote:Good advice all round, I think. After some more deliberation, the only thing I could add to previous posts would to be aware of following traffic's 'body language' in the lead up to the roundabout - If they've been travelling close (tailgating) and/or appear to be generally in a hurry, indicate right but stay central to the single lane entry (especially if you have to give way/stop for traffic already on the roundabout).

If you have a clean entry into the roundabout and stay central to the entry lane, with a bit of commitment, I would imagine you’ve eliminated any possibility of getting paralleled up on the roundabout no matter what exit the following traffic is intending to take.

This sounds like a situation where it is safer to (just briefly) be a bit greedy with road space, and dominate the area so that following vehicles can not get alongside and create difficulties as you approach your exit point. If the traffic situation is such that you are able to enter the roundabout fairly briskly, I can't see that being taken as obstructive by anyone.
TripleS

Previous

Return to Advanced Driving Forum