Roundabouts (again)

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby Graham Wright » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:00 pm

It seems to me that there can be ambiguities with certain roundabouts which have more than four exits.

One such is in this link
http://www.google.co.uk/search?client=s ... hgfu-oDQAQ

Approaching from the west, the first exit, very appropriately named "Crashmore Lane!", is a very minor road which can easily be missed (not by us, of course!) and thus the first exit could be taken as the A46 northwards.

The B4077 could then be numbered second exit or third exit.

Cutting to the chase, which lane is advocated by forum members when approaching from the west on the A46 and wishing to exit on the B4077. The A46 approach splits into two lanes at the roundabout but the other exits are all single lane.

My own preference is to take the nearside lane and indicate left just before the B4077.
Graham Wright

Postby gannet » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:28 pm

a better view

So you're effectively turning right? Think I would be in the right hand lane, looking to indicate and move over to the nearside as you pass the 2nd exit for the A46.

oh and welcome along :)
-- Gannet.
Membership Secretary, East Surrey Group of Advanced Motorists
Driving: Citroen DS3 DSport 1.6THP / MINI Cooper Coupe :D
Riding: Airnimal Joey Sport... (helps with the commute into London during the week!)
ImageImage
gannet

Postby TR4ffic » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:42 pm

gannet wrote:So you're effectively turning right? Think I would be in the right hand lane, looking to indicate and move over to the nearside as you pass the 2nd exit for the A46.

Ditto

You need to be indicating right on entering the roundabout and you shouldn't be in the nearside (left) lane indicating right... Also, if you stay in the nearside (left) lane to enter the roundabout you risk someone being on your outside who wants to exit for the A46 as you (try to) carry on round for your exit (B4077).
Riveting – The most fascinating job you could ever have..!

Nick
IAM Member since 1985
TR4ffic

Postby GJD » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:44 pm

The B4077 can't be numbered the second exit. You can't disenfranchise Crashmore Lane like that just because it's little :). Crashmore Lane is the first exit. It's shown on both signs on the approach: first and second.

Looking at it I think I'd take the offside lane on the roundabout, looking to move over after passing the A46 exit. I imagine (and I seem to recall from driving there, although I don't have extensive local knowledge) that the major traffic flow would be continuing on the A46. If so, I would be missing an opportunity to get out of their way if I stayed nearside on the roundabout. The B4077 is past 12 o'clock, both on the signs and in reality, and there are two exits before it so offside lane on the roundabout seems the natural choice to me.

Good choice of road by the way :)
GJD

Postby Gareth » Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:01 pm

GJD wrote:Looking at it I think I'd take the offside lane on the roundabout, looking to move over after passing the A46 exit.

The first link in GJD's post shows the 'logical' view of the roundabout and effectively provides guidance on approach. It shows two major roads, one to the left and one to the right. It also shows two relatively minor roads, also one to the left and one to the right. Clearly a good approach is to use left on the roundabout for the first two exits, and right on the roundabout for the other two.

FWIW I use the right hand lane onto the roundabout when heading for the B4077, when there are other vehicles about.

GJD wrote:Good choice of road by the way :)

Here's hoping you don't mean the A46 :P
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby Graham Wright » Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:10 pm

You all agree then!
And so do I theoretically. The problem, which is a common one, is the others!

If you are in the outside lane and need to cross to the inside, there is the risk of one of the "others" on the inside as you want to move over to exit.

However, rules is rules and the answer to my fear is to check, check and check again. It is worse with my normal type of vehicle - a small van with no rear view save for the wing mirrors.

Thanks for the welcome - seems to be a very responsive forum.
Graham Wright

Postby GJD » Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:31 pm

Graham Wright wrote:You all agree then!
And so do I theoretically. The problem, which is a common one, is the others!

If you are in the outside lane and need to cross to the inside, there is the risk of one of the "others" on the inside as you want to move over to exit.

There is that risk, and that's one of the reasons for taking into account, if you have the local knowledge, the usual traffic patterns (i.e. what other drivers actually tend to do there) even if that contradicts with signs, markings or general principles.

StressedDave's rule of roundabouts is about that risk too. If you can arrange to be alongside a gap rather than another vehicle, your chances of being able to change lanes safely and of not being side-swiped by somebody using lanes unconventionally are improved.
GJD

Postby ROG » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:07 pm

Not knowing the area - right lane

Knowing the area - left lane

Both with right signal if others are about and changing to left signal for exit

If on a LGV test then the examiner would expect the driver to use the left lane
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby Graham Wright » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:05 pm

StressedDave wrote:A healthy dose of acceleration is your friend..

Not sure my van understands "A healthy dose of acceleration"! :wink:
Graham Wright

Postby MGF » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:56 pm

I think you are doing the right thing because of your lack of vision. With no view through rear glass it is easier to deal with offside traffic than nearside. I thought the rule is that you choose the most appropriate lane on approach?
MGF

Postby fungus » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:39 pm

I would use the offside lane. The B4077 is almost at 270 degrees to the A46 from the west. If you are unable to give it a burst of brisk acceleration, there is always the option of going around again.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby 7db » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:23 pm

Effectively a single lane entry into the roundabout that broadens into a wide entry -- if you allow someone to come up your inside. In a van they are disadvantaged to view if you remain offside, so remain offside and keep the advantage onto the roundabout.

The exit on main route is a wide - not quite double - which invites someone to come round the inside of the RAB and exit across a driver going around. Crash. Clearly preferable to be on a widening path and obeying Dave's maxim number 1.

Entry -- an impolite offside 3/4 entry that dissuades entry up your nearside. Line equally impolite with 1/4 lane away from RAB centre, allowing the nearside exiter, but really quite unpleasant for him to come all the way around the front to cut off exit, drifting wide past exit 2 to have a clear run out on the single lane exit of your choice.
7db

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:27 pm

Offside, but as Dave says, looking to find a good space to make my way back to the nearside as we pass the A46 exit, possibly by being a bit greedy with the lane width as we go round, and as early a signal as possible, given the difficulties with rearward vision. One problem is that the lane markings on the roundabout are concentric with 2 lanes all the way round - this would be a good place for spiral lane markings and some clearer direction to traffic joining it - i.e. dedicated lanes.
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Silk » Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:43 pm

Graham Wright wrote:It seems to me that there can be ambiguities with certain roundabouts which have more than four exits.

One such is in this link
http://www.google.co.uk/search?client=s ... hgfu-oDQAQ

Approaching from the west, the first exit, very appropriately named "Crashmore Lane!", is a very minor road which can easily be missed (not by us, of course!) and thus the first exit could be taken as the A46 northwards.

The B4077 could then be numbered second exit or third exit.

Cutting to the chase, which lane is advocated by forum members when approaching from the west on the A46 and wishing to exit on the B4077. The A46 approach splits into two lanes at the roundabout but the other exits are all single lane.

My own preference is to take the nearside lane and indicate left just before the B4077.

I use that roundabout quite regularly and my vote goes with keep right - most traffic will be following the A46, so keeping right as well as indicating right gives other drivers more of a clue that you're doing something relatively unexpected. The only thing I'll add that hasn't been said already, is choose a flexible gear.
Silk

Postby TR4ffic » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:36 pm

Good advice all round, I think. After some more deliberation, the only thing I could add to previous posts would to be aware of following traffic's 'body language' in the lead up to the roundabout - If they've been travelling close (tailgating) and/or appear to be generally in a hurry, indicate right but stay central to the single lane entry (especially if you have to give way/stop for traffic already on the roundabout).

If you have a clean entry into the roundabout and stay central to the entry lane, with a bit of commitment, I would imagine you’ve eliminated any possibility of getting paralleled up on the roundabout no matter what exit the following traffic is intending to take.
Riveting – The most fascinating job you could ever have..!

Nick
IAM Member since 1985
TR4ffic

Next

Return to Advanced Driving Forum