Steering - again, what should be taught

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby Zebedee » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:25 am

stefan einz wrote:one day the IAM will change its hard-to-fathom position to only promote PP. As good as PP is, the bulk of the posts above make a very strong case for a more flexible approach.

Let's hope that day comes soon! Though I wonder if it will take time, because British police driving schools evolve glacially.

What I find hard to fathom is the incredible reluctance to explore and evolve techniques. That's how best practice improves over time. If the IAM was in charge of medical training, all we'd get from our GP would be leeches :)
Zebedee

Postby sussex2 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:20 am

WhoseGeneration wrote:
sussex2 wrote:Perhaps it is the very name pull push that is wrong.
It could sound to some as if you are opening a lock gate :D

I've been thinking about this and I think you're onto something.
"Pull" and "Push" imply a degree of force, which might have been of relevance way back in the mists of time of the first Roadcraft.
The first edition I have a copy of has a Jaguar saloon on the cover "NVB 348E", whether PAS equipped I don't know, though Triple S Dave might. Btw, loose insert with 7 pages of corrections provided. Also of note, this edition doesn't appear to consider that women ever drive cars!
Now, for any relatively modern car?
So, how might we now best describe this way of steering?

Names are important :wink:
I'm not bothered about the old Romanians and Bulgarians but the Old Etonians scare me rigid.
sussex2

Postby superplum » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:36 am

The latest RoADAR Test guidance takes effect from 17 Mar. The guidance relating to steering will then be:

"Steering
This should be smooth and accurate at all times. It is important that the driver is in full control of the steering wheel and in most circumstances the best way to achieve this is with both hands in contact with the wheel. The pull push method described in Roadcraft will help with this."

Who's going to be first in finding faults with this?

:roll:
superplum

Postby stefan einz » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:38 am

superplum wrote:The latest RoADAR Test guidance takes effect from 17 Mar. The guidance relating to steering will then be:

"Steering
This should be smooth and accurate at all times. It is important that the driver is in full control of the steering wheel and in most circumstances the best way to achieve this is with both hands in contact with the wheel. The pull push method described in Roadcraft will help with this."

Almost all good, but I'd like the last sentence to say:

"The steering methods described in Roadcraft will help with this."
stefan einz

Postby MGF » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:03 am

That didn't take long. :lol:
MGF

Postby sussex2 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:33 pm

We should be on our guard against being pedantic or too relaxed about any method of handling a machine.
Some of those being taught will take the slightest instruction as gospel and others will interpret or omit items they don't favour.
Purely in my own opinion how a person 'puts on' and handles the machine will give a pretty good clue as to how things are going to go.
I'm not bothered about the old Romanians and Bulgarians but the Old Etonians scare me rigid.
sussex2

Postby GJD » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:49 pm

stefan einz wrote:
superplum wrote:The latest RoADAR Test guidance takes effect from 17 Mar. The guidance relating to steering will then be:

"Steering

I'd vote for "...can help with this."
GJD

Postby hir » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:51 pm

stefan einz wrote:

Agreed, but let's be grateful for small mercies. These sort of changes usually move at a glacial pace and for RoSPA of all people to make this change feels like a quantum leap forward. Also, there are some refreshing changes to the wording of RoSPA's advice on bends and straight-lining. I think there maybe a new chief examiner, possibly. So, things are looking up for RoSPA, all we now need is for the IAM to follow suit.
hir

Postby sussex2 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:34 pm

How much change can we expect in a risk averse society?
The no risk attitude is now becoming so ingrained that almost every aspect of our lives is governed by it.
sussex2

Postby jont » Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:43 pm

sussex2 wrote:How much change can we expect in a risk averse society?
The no risk attitude is now becoming so ingrained that almost every aspect of our lives is governed by it.

Not entirely true. If we were genuinely risk averse there would be far more done to get incompetent drivers off the roads, rather than try to keep them going slowly enough they only injure, rather than kill people :roll:

More generally I'd agree we have got too risk averse as a society, but when politicians (and most of the public) are incapable of understanding basic science, never mind risk management, what do you expect?
jont

Postby sussex2 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:45 am

jont wrote:

Not entirely true. If we were genuinely risk averse there would be far more done to get incompetent drivers off the roads, rather than try to keep them going slowly enough they only injure, rather than kill people :roll:

More generally I'd agree we have got too risk averse as a society, but when politicians (and most of the public) are incapable of understanding basic science, never mind risk management, what do you expect?

Indeed!
My point was more that any organisation is going to be loathe to take the risk of changing something in the present climate; especially given how easily people look for compensation or attempt to sue.
sussex2

Postby WhoseGeneration » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:17 pm

jont wrote:Not entirely true. If we were genuinely risk averse there would be far more done to get incompetent drivers off the roads, rather than try to keep them going slowly enough they only injure, rather than kill people :roll:

I do so agree with this.
Always a commentary, spoken or not.
Keeps one safe. One hopes.
WhoseGeneration

Postby Horse » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:35 am

sussex2 wrote:
jont wrote:

Indeed!
My point was more that any organisation is going to be loathe to take the risk of changing something in the present climate; especially given how easily people look for compensation or attempt to sue.

I qualified as an instructor for the MSF, a US organisation, in 1994. Half a day of the two week course was devoted to 'not being sued'. The gist was: have a syllabus based on proven techniques, and stick to it.
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby vonhosen » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:32 pm

Horse wrote:I qualified as an instructor for the MSF, a US organisation, in 1994. Half a day of the two week course was devoted to 'not being sued'. The gist was: have a syllabus based on proven techniques, and stick to it.

And when evidence exists that the chosen techniques can have adverse effects?

That's the problem as understanding etc evolves, it doesn't remain as static as some training methodology.
Any views expressed are mine & mine alone.
I do not represent my employer or these forums.
vonhosen

Postby Horse » Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:25 pm

vonhosen wrote:
Horse wrote:I qualified as an instructor for the MSF, a US organisation, in 1994. Half a day of the two week course was devoted to 'not being sued'. The gist was: have a syllabus based on proven techniques, and stick to it.

And when evidence exists that the chosen techniques can have adverse effects?

That's the problem as understanding etc evolves, it doesn't remain as static as some training methodology.

Much of the course content was based on scientific research to determine best practice.
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

PreviousNext

Return to Advanced Driving Forum