Shoulder Checks

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby sussex2 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:59 pm

Horse wrote:
Ancient wrote: I people are taught to 'always shoulder check, they will (potentially) look away from the cyclist stopped to wait for a space on the roundabout, or the child standing on the edge of the kerb...

back in RAC/ACU days, one trainee had no mirrors. "It would be a good idea if you had a check over your shoulder every few seconds so you're aware of what's behind you".

He was stopped two days later for 'riding in a suspicious manner' . . .

Ancient wrote: riding the Monza

I had a V50 III :)

The old Ducati bikes didn't have mirrors because 'What's behind you is not important and too far away'..
I'm not bothered about the old Romanians and Bulgarians but the Old Etonians scare me rigid.
sussex2

Postby Ancient » Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:20 pm

sussex2 wrote:
Horse wrote:
Ancient wrote: I people are taught to 'always shoulder check, they will (potentially) look away from the cyclist stopped to wait for a space on the roundabout, or the child standing on the edge of the kerb...

back in RAC/ACU days, one trainee had no mirrors. "It would be a good idea if you had a check over your shoulder every few seconds so you're aware of what's behind you".

He was stopped two days later for 'riding in a suspicious manner' . . .

Ancient wrote: riding the Monza

I had a V50 III :)

The old Ducati bikes didn't have mirrors because 'What's behind you is not important and too far away'..

I remember an occasion commuting home at 01:00, around H'smith Broadway and down FP road, being very glad of the single bar-end mirror which showed me the pair of headlights following me off the one-way system. I slowed down to :oops: , then saw a single blue flash, causing me to slow down some more and pull over in a safe place.
Mirrors can be remarkably useful!
Ancient

Postby Zebedee » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:16 am

New Ducati bikes may have mirrors, but you'd be lucky to see much more than a vibrating image of your elbow.

There's nothing like a V-twin for good vibes :)
Zebedee

Postby superplum » Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:49 pm

Zebedee wrote: There's nothing like a V-twin for good vibes :)

4WD and a flat-six made in Germany do it for me!
:D
superplum

Postby WhoseGeneration » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:13 am

Horse wrote:
WhoseGeneration wrote:
Devil's advocate mode, why would you, as an AD motorcyclist, put yourself in a car driver's blindspot?

Unless the rider maintains a constant position relative to the car (that's angular, not nec. distance), then negotiating a blindspot is likely.

Otherwise, it would be practically impossible to ever pass (or be passed by) another vehicle.

Now, I appreciate that motorcyclists tend to ride offside, however what's wrong with a move to centre to reveal, especially as most use lights at all times, that being default on many modern motorcycles too?
Then, having made the car driver aware of one's prescence, an overtake could be considered.
Always a commentary, spoken or not.
Keeps one safe. One hopes.
WhoseGeneration

Postby Horse » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:16 am

WhoseGeneration wrote:
Horse wrote:
WhoseGeneration wrote:
Devil's advocate mode, why would you, as an AD motorcyclist, put yourself in a car driver's blindspot?

Unless the rider maintains a constant position relative to the car (that's angular, not nec. distance), then negotiating a blindspot is likely.

Otherwise, it would be practically impossible to ever pass (or be passed by) another vehicle.

Now, I appreciate that motorcyclists tend to ride offside, however what's wrong with a move to centre to reveal, especially as most use lights at all times, that being default on many modern motorcycles too?
Then, having made the car driver aware of one's prescence, an overtake could be considered.

Really?

Lulled into a false sense of security, perhaps? I've heard riders say "He must have seen me, I had my headlamp on!"
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby WhoseGeneration » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:09 pm

Horse wrote:
Horse wrote:
WhoseGeneration wrote:

Really?

Lulled into a false sense of security, perhaps? I've heard riders say "He must have seen me, I had my headlamp on!"

I said "could", I'm merely trying to provide some ideas to avoid that blindspot problem.
That said, I'm a car driver who often goes nearside to facilitate a motorcyclist's progress. Meaning I use all my mirrors.
Always a commentary, spoken or not.
Keeps one safe. One hopes.
WhoseGeneration

Postby Horse » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:51 pm

It's not the position aspect of your post I was commenting on, but the comment that the driver would now be aware of the bike.
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby Astraist » Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:59 pm

If the cars side mirrors are aimed so the sides of the car are not seen - the blind spots become much smaller. In fact, it can be so small that only a very subtle shoulder check will be required for the majority of maneuvers, especially when other precautions like frequent mirror checks, double mirror checks upon lane changes and very prolonged lane changes - are used.

There is no need to crank the head around and to the back during a lane change in a small car. A slight tilt of the head to the side - will cover the areas not covered by the mirrors. In bigger cars, leaning gently foward while looking in the mirror will do the job.
Astraist

Previous

Return to Advanced Driving Forum