Tailgating.

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby TripleS » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:12 pm

Graham Wright wrote:
GJD wrote:
Graham Wright wrote:Some thoughts applicable to overtaking on multi-lane roads...

I think we're talking about single carriageways - one lane in each direction.

All right, I'm approaching senility but I don't remember writing that and I can't find it!

Help a decrepit?!

Whatever assistance and accommodation is forthcoming for your benefit, can I also have a bit of it? I need it. :(

...but I still don't find tailgaters to be a real problem, and not much of a danger that's worth worrying about.
TripleS

Postby Tim Hunt » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:43 pm

I have adjusted the brake light switch on my TR so that the lightest touch on the pedal will illuminate the brake light bulbs WITHOUT any pressure being applied between friction materials, discs and drums producing actual retardation. This allows a gentle warning to a very close tailgater without introducing any danger. In my experience on some occasions this gets the message across to the following driver that had I really been braking he (or very rarely she!) could have been severely embarrassed. In a more recent car if headlights are illuminated then a brief application of the rear fog warning lights can produce the same effect, again without danger.
Tim Hunt

Previous

Return to Advanced Driving Forum