Tailgating.

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby MGF » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:22 pm

7db wrote:
ericonabike wrote:Would you agree that the danger is more perceived than real?

It's clear that there are many more tailgating events than crashes, but i'm not sure that makes the tailgating fear unreal.

It is distressing because it is a loss of control

Herein lies the problem. The perception that it is necessary to control other driver"s driving to be safe. That doezn't apper to be a particularly 'advanced' way of driving.

7db wrote:- ceding your ability to be safe to the driver behind -- who may or may not be a trustworthy person.

That depends how you react to the tailgating.
The distress is a problem with the driver in front, not the tailgating driver.
MGF

Postby TripleS » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:02 pm

ericonabike wrote:I would suggest that 'close following' would be defined as leaving less than the recommended HC distance from the vehicle in front, which is a considerable remove from tailgating. Look at lane 3, in particular, on any busy motorway and few, if any, are leaving a one second gap, leave alone a two second one. But I suspect that none of them would regard it as tailgating. That is an aggressive and deliberate manoeuvre designed to intimidate the driver in front. As for a definition: if you feel intimidated, or in a position where you have to suppress such a feeling, you're being tailgated!

Now that's where I'm not sure that I do agree with you.

My feeling is that a good deal of close following, and even some of what we call tailgating, is merely a bad habit that stems from impatience and a wish to get along faster by the tailgater, even though they still might not overtake when an opportunity becomes available. I'm not sure that there is necessarily an aggressive aspect to it.
TripleS

Postby Horse » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:47 pm

How does the driver ahead know when you're tailgating (and so to be concerned) or in 'close contact' looking for an overtaking opportunity?
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby waremark » Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:35 am

Horse wrote:How does the driver ahead know when you're tailgating (and so to be concerned) or in 'close contact' looking for an overtaking opportunity?

Does it matter? In either case an appropriate response is to ease off and position to encourage an overtake.
waremark

Postby MGF » Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:44 am

The point is, contact position may be perceived as aggressive driving, that cedes another's safety to the driver making contact, and causing the driver in front to become distressed.

It is somewhat hypocritical to complain about tailgating and use a 'contact' position to overtake.
MGF

Postby Horse » Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:38 am

Thank you, MGF, more eloquent and succinct than I probably would have posted :)
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby Gareth » Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:19 pm

MGF wrote:The point is, contact position may be perceived as aggressive driving, that cedes another's safety to the driver making contact, and causing the driver in front to become distressed.

It is somewhat hypocritical to complain about tailgating and use a 'contact' position to overtake.

Do you see any qualitative or quantitative difference in continuously following very closely versus moving closer then moving offside?
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby 7db » Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:47 pm

MGF wrote:The perception that it is necessary to control other driver"s driving to be safe. That doezn't apper to be a particularly 'advanced' way of driving.

You seem either to misunderstand or we disagree on what constitutes advanced driving.

One wishes to control one's own drive. To be responsible for one's own safety. To maintain one's own bubble. To not leave the most important thing about driving to chance or the actions of another. When one's own chosen safety bubble is breached -- regardless of whether that bubble is over-cautiously selected -- it can be distressing -- particularly if one lacks the ability to act to reestablish that bubble of safety.
7db

Postby TripleS » Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:51 pm

Gareth wrote:
MGF wrote:The point is, contact position may be perceived as aggressive driving, that cedes another's safety to the driver making contact, and causing the driver in front to become distressed.

Do you see any qualitative or quantitative difference in continuously following very closely versus moving closer then moving offside?

It's hard to explain, but I imagine most of us on this forum can generally recognise the difference between a driver who simply follows too closely for sustained periods, and one who closes up when an overtaking opportunity seems to be developing.
Last edited by TripleS on Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
TripleS

Postby Horse » Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:08 pm

What is the time limit beyond which close becomes tailgating?
Horse

Postby michael769 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:59 pm

Horse wrote:What is the time limit beyond which close becomes tailgating?

When it exceeds the amount of time necessary to assess that the perceived overtaking opportunity actually exists , and to commence the overtake or back.

In other words whenever one remains in the contact position in the hope that an overtaking opportunity might present itself.
Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open
Thomas Robert Dewar(1864-1930)
michael769

Postby waremark » Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:44 pm

Has anyone else noticed and been bothered by the illustrations on p 206 of the new Roadcraft? They seem to me to show an overtaking position about half a car's length behind the target - to me that looks a very vulnerable position, how long do you have to react if the target brakes? The words used about the overtaking position seem generally sensible, including: 'As you move closer to the vehicle in front the driver is likely to realise tha you want to overtake. Be careful not to intimidate the other driver or to appear aggressive by following too closely. This is dangerous and counter-productive. Following too closely may cause the other driver to speed up, making it more difficult to overtake."
waremark

Postby fungus » Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:50 pm

waremark wrote:Has anyone else noticed and been bothered by the illustrations on p 206 of the new Roadcraft? They seem to me to show an overtaking position about half a car's length behind the target - to me that looks a very vulnerable position

The illustrations do not tie up with the wording. I think it's a poor illustration which, if not viewed in conjunction with the wording could lead some to adopt that position which is way too close, and would result in more steering than necessary to move out, apart from the very vulnerable position that it places the following driver in.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby ericonabike » Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:04 pm

If nothing else, this thread has perhaps shown the futility of the new 'tailgating' law. A populist measure that in practice is nigh-on impossible to police. Unless the lawyers manage to come up with a definition of 'tailgating' that is objective, rather than subjective...
ericonabike

Postby jont » Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:23 pm

ericonabike wrote:If nothing else, this thread has perhaps shown the futility of the new 'tailgating' law. A populist measure that in practice is nigh-on impossible to police. Unless the lawyers manage to come up with a definition of 'tailgating' that is objective, rather than subjective...

Other than speeding (and driving without license/insurance), aren't most driving offences subjective? ie one persons "making good progress" is anothers "driving without due care" etc?
jont

PreviousNext

Return to Advanced Driving Forum