Driving automatics

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby ericonabike » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:22 pm

Apologies if this is more mundane than some of the threads here, but it's important to me. I start a new job in the New Year as part-time chauffeur. Will be driving an upmarket Mercedes, which is grand, but it's an automatic.

In over 30 years of driving I've only ever driven an auto once - and I hated it! The idea of changing gear when an engineer said so, rather than when I wanted to, made me distinctly uncomfortable. And the 'kick-down' feature seemed a joke - stabbing at the accelerator to get into a lower gear was totally counter-intuitive. Of course, I imagine the technology's improved since, but nonetheless I wondered if there was any advice you could give on making the transition more painless?
ericonabike

Postby jont » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:36 pm

Stick it in manual mode? You may find (depending on how modern the box is) it still needs a prod on the accelerator to get a smooth downshift, so either separating (as per a manual), left foot braking or h'n't is required to get the desired result.
jont

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:43 pm

Unless your Merc is more than about 15 years old it's going to have some kind of electronic manual override. You can use this to override the wishes of the engineer, but for chauffeur driving, I think you'll find you soon get used to just using the box in fully auto mode. Many of us who drive for fun, use autos in a split way in which we use full auto in town, but switch to manual override in NSL areas. This may also work for you. In town traffic, the full auto is a boon.
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby WhoseGeneration » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:24 pm

Can I suggest, read the manual and ask your employer if you can have use on your own before taking clients, so you can familiarise yourself with the car.
That being to ensure the most comfortable experience for those clients, is your reason to your emoloyer.
Always a commentary, spoken or not.
Keeps one safe. One hopes.
WhoseGeneration

Postby fungus » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:37 pm

ericonabike wrote:In over 30 years of driving I've only ever driven an auto once - and I hated it

Couldn't agree more. I hate automatics. In 45 years of driving I just can't get over not having a clutch to control the vehicle when carrying out a slow speed maneouvre where you need to slip the clutch to creep. It feels as if the car is in control of me, not me in control of the car.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby Estoril Sport » Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:48 am

fungus wrote:
ericonabike wrote:In over 30 years of driving I've only ever driven an auto once - and I hated it

Couldn't agree more. I hate automatics. In 45 years of driving I just can't get over not having a clutch to control the vehicle when carrying out a slow speed maneouvre where you need to slip the clutch to creep. It feels as if the car is in control of me, not me in control of the car.

Pre 2005 cars with auto boxes were bad, my first auto was Vauxhall Omega and it was really awful. However modem day autos I love as you have the choice of being lazy and drive in full auto or use in manual mode to have full control which gear to be in, although the car must have the switches to change up or down gear on the steering wheel. This must be a plus point as well so you you have both hands on the wheel. As to having the fine control in slow manoeuvring instead of the clutch you use the foot brake instead to provide you the control you require.

After the Vauxhall Omega the next auto that I have owned was a Audi A6 Tiptronic which had the optional manual gear switch's on the steering wheel and my current car (again has gear switch's to manually change up or down on the steering wheel).

The only slight downside is when in full auto mode and I press too hard on the accelerator pedal and the gearbox goes in stepdown mode (drops a gear) can be a bit annoying especially for a passenger who can feel the sudden acceleration. This is my fault and not the car fault I should have put the car in Manual mode and the car would have not gone in stepdown mode and kept being in the same gear until I choose.
IAM Member since 2000 Car: Alpina B3 Bi Turbo For Sale at http://www.alpina-b3biturbo.co.uk
Estoril Sport

Postby true blue » Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:54 am

You'll get used to it...

One of my cars has an auto box, which I can either stick in 'drive' and go or limit the box to not exceed 4th, 3rd or 2nd gear. The latter options aren't manual as the car will still use 1st/2nd/3rd as normal if I select '3'. There was no manual version made sadly.

It's a bloody awful gearbox, as to get good throttle response I need to keep the revs higher than the usual change point. I've adapted to using the semi-manual side on open roads though, which makes it bearable. This is also very useful for hilly terrain, as you can drop a gear to get engine braking rather than riding the brakes all the way down.
true blue

Postby waremark » Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:12 am

I consider that autos are simply a better system - but as a result offer less, though still some, opportunity for satisfaction.

I am sure you know that to get the best out of an auto it is worth reading the manual.

Modern Mercedes have very good 7 speed autos (until the latest S Class which has a 9 speed). They will probably deliver the smoothest drive for the passengers in full auto mode - though this may depend slightly on what engine the car has. If you have a torquey multi-cylinder engine you will find that it goes quite well with the engine at very low revs - it is quite likely to change up by 2,000 rpm, and the changes in both directions will be extremely smooth. Manual changes will probably be a fraction less smooth. The gearbox will probably offer a choice of modes - most likely E for Economy and S for Standard. I tend to stick with E. Some Mercs also have M for Manual.

You will never need to put your foot down, so it would be extraordinary to experience full throttle kickdown when in chauffeur mode. You will probably activate part throttle kickdown from time to time.

For a less chauffeur-like drive, in most autos I have driven I like to use some level of manual override when on minor roads where I may want to use a significant amount of acceleration. The main reason for this is to engage or more likely hold a lower gear before entering a bend, because if you leave the box to its own devices it will kick down when you accelerate firmly out of the bend, and that is less pleasant. Without having or using an M mode, you will still have a degree of manual override - there will be a sequential control (lever or paddles), and if you tap/pull down once it goes to the gear one lower than you are in at the moment, and you are then in automatic mode, but the gearbox is inhibited from changing up above the gear you moved to. To go back to Drive, you move and hold the paddle/lever for a couple of seconds. In a Merc we have, the box is a little smoother used like this than in what is called Manual.

One unusual feature in modern Mercs which you should look out for is a Brake Hold feature. If you come to a rest and apply a second pressure on the foot brake it holds the brake on until you press either of the accelerator or the brake. This is very convenient eg at traffic lights, but leaves the driver behind looking at your brake lights.
waremark

Postby ericonabike » Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:46 am

Many thanks for the replies. Good to know I'm not alone in being a little jaundiced about autos, but the latest Mercs would seem to have improved considerably on the auto I once drove! It will certainly be an experience - I'll try to get hold of the manual before driving it, as you suggest [which will be a first for me - like most blokes, I suspect, the only time I look at the manual is when something goes wrong...]. I'll report back on how it goes.
ericonabike

Postby Horse » Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:02 pm

H's top tip if you're not used to driving an auto:

Tuck your left foot back under the seat :)

No chance of accidentally going for the clutch- but actually braking!
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby TR4ffic » Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:22 pm

WhoseGeneration wrote:Can I suggest, read the manual and ask your employer if you can have use on your own before taking clients, so you can familiarise yourself with the car.
That being to ensure the most comfortable experience for those clients, is your reason to your emoloyer.

+1 Best advice yet... and keep it in auto, not manual shift.

Modern autos are no comparison to awful old things.

If it has an adaptive 'box, don't be too gentle and pussyfoot about with it - it won't know whether you want to go or slow down - the 'box will dither as much as you..!
Riveting – The most fascinating job you could ever have..!

Nick
IAM Member since 1985
TR4ffic

Postby fungus » Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:54 pm

Horse wrote:H's top tip if you're not used to driving an auto:

Tried that when test driving a Skoda Rapid with the 7 speed DSG box. Still went into left foot mode when coming to a halt. :cry:
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby exportmanuk » Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:57 pm

Modern Autos are fine, especially with fly by wire accelerator. My Citroen rev matches on the down changed apart from kick down, use of paddle shifts help when planning for bends entering motorways etc. Just remember that on most to start the car and to select drive you have to press and hold the brake peddle. Quite amusing watching someone who has not used on before wondering why the cant get it to work :twisted:
exportmanuk

Postby fungus » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:36 pm

What is it about the spelling of the word pedal that seems to confuse. English is such an easy language. We seem to have a few who are peddling their wares on the forum. :lol:
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby Horse » Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:22 pm

fungus wrote:
Horse wrote:H's top tip if you're not used to driving an auto:

Tried that when test driving a Skoda Rapid with the 7 speed DSG box. Still went into left foot mode when coming to a halt. :cry:

I have help: a voice in my head, from almost 30 years ago, saying "If I see your left leg move I'll hit it so hard I'll break it and then you won't be able to crash the car" [into the wall of the skid pan].
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Next

Return to Advanced Driving Forum