IAM Pass if you just break the speed limit within tol

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby Ian » Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:38 pm

Hi Guys

I was on the train a few weeks back and I was speaking to a chap who had passed his advanced driving test some ten odd years ago through the IAM.
He said that at one point on the test whilst going down a steep hill that he just went over the speed limit by about 10%+ 3mph. So for a split second he hit 33 or 34 mph. He immediately looked at his examiner and he was looking out of the front windscreen and did not see. I was wondering what the officially policy is on this and also on the current standard DSA test. Should he have passed? What would be RoSPA's view on this as well?
Hope all have had a good Christmas.
Ian
Ian

Postby martine » Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:45 pm

Ian,

It's at the discretion of the examiner...most will allow a small transgression and they have the flexibility to look at the overall drive. I think it's fair to say that if someone habitually drove in excess of the limit even by a small amount, they would fail however.

DSA? I was with a learner on test and even though they were heading 25+ (in a 20 zone) the examiner still passed them - but did comment on it during the debrief.

PS 10% + 3mph in a 30 would be 36mph.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby Horse » Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:55 pm

During my IAM bike test I had to do almost 60 in a 30 limit to catch up with the examiner . . .

I passed, BTW.
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby TripleS » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:38 pm

Horse wrote:During my IAM bike test I had to do almost 60 in a 30 limit to catch up with the examiner . . .

I passed, BTW.

Well bikers are something else, ain't they! :wink:

... but not as bad as a certain (though unquantified) proportion of cyclists. :evil:
TripleS

Postby MGF » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:43 pm

I was a little over 40 long enough for the examiner to comment in debrief. Advised that as it wasn't repeated and it wad marginal it was acceptable.
MGF

Postby Horse » Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:24 pm

TripleS wrote:
Horse wrote:During my IAM bike test I had to do almost 60 in a 30 limit to catch up with the examiner . . .

I passed, BTW.

Well bikers are something else, ain't they! :wink:

... but not as bad as a certain (though unquantified) proportion of cyclists. :evil:

It was quite surreal; we were approaching a T with one lane each for left and right. Left lane busy, right empty, so although we were heading left I filtered up the right lane and merged four cars or so from the lights.

As I reached the line the lights changed, I stopped, examiner whizzed past and turned left.

I expected him to stop and wait. I was wrong!
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby true blue » Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:45 pm

When I did my test in Cambridge earlier this year, the examiner told me that where it was appropriate for me to be travelling up at the speed limit he would tolerate minor transgressions provided that they were minor and short-lived. Seemed like a perfectly sensible approach to me...
true blue

Postby Zebedee » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:52 am

true blue wrote:the examiner told me that where it was appropriate for me to be travelling up at the speed limit he would tolerate minor transgressions provided that they were minor and short-lived. Seemed like a perfectly sensible approach to me...

I believe this is normal practice for IAM 'entry level'. Seems sensible to me too.

Remember there are different IAM levels. I'd expect more accuracy would be required to achieve a F1RST and more accuracy still at Masters level.
Zebedee

Postby Graham Wright » Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:27 pm

martine wrote:
PS 10% + 3mph in a 30 would be 36mph.

Perhaps he missed the shift key (=/+)?
Graham Wright

Postby Stephen » Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:56 pm

I allow a certain use of discretion in this area but anymore than 5mph twice above the posted speed limit on the speedo ,then they fail as this is down to a number of competancies to be marked those being apart from legality are Observation,restraint and could incorporate Planning dependant on the circumstances.
Stephen
Stephen

Postby martine » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:22 pm

Stephen wrote:I allow a certain use of discretion in this area but anymore than 5mph twice above the posted speed limit on the speedo ,then they fail as this is down to a number of competancies to be marked those being apart from legality are Observation,restraint and could incorporate Planning dependant on the circumstances.
Stephen

Sounds fair enough and matches what I believe happens "down 'ere in Bristol".
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby waremark » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:06 pm

I feel sure that some Examiners adjust whether or not they notice the excess over the limit depending on how they assess the quality of the rest of the drive. If they are not entirely comfortable with the rest of the drive, the easiest way to explain a fail to the candidate can then be to mention the excess over the speed limit (at least one Examiner has mentioned taking this approach).
waremark

Postby WhoseGeneration » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:40 pm

WG, IAM test 1990, Examiner pre test briefing, "I expect you to obey speed limits but you can go up to 70mph to overtake". In a county with, on the route used, no NSL Motorways or dual carriageways.
Always a commentary, spoken or not.
Keeps one safe. One hopes.
WhoseGeneration

Postby TripleS » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:23 pm

WhoseGeneration wrote:WG, IAM test 1990, Examiner pre test briefing, "I expect you to obey speed limits but you can go up to 70mph to overtake". In a county with, on the route used, no NSL Motorways or dual carriageways.

Hmm, sounds sensible. I expect it was North Yorkshire. :D
TripleS

Postby WhoseGeneration » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:01 am

TripleS wrote:
WhoseGeneration wrote:WG, IAM test 1990, Examiner pre test briefing, "I expect you to obey speed limits but you can go up to 70mph to overtake". In a county with, on the route used, no NSL Motorways or dual carriageways.

Hmm, sounds sensible. I expect it was North Yorkshire. :D

Nope, not North Yorkshire.
Always a commentary, spoken or not.
Keeps one safe. One hopes.
WhoseGeneration

Return to Advanced Driving Forum