Observation at junctions

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby Grahar » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:09 pm

Topic split:
Grahar wrote:
Horse wrote:No-one's commented on this, so have a read of:
http://www.rospa.com/roadsafety/confere ... abbett.pdf
In particular the diagram on PP8 of where an experienced driver looks . . .

The data may indicate that experienced driver fixate in areas of the road environment that ‘experience’ has taught them where hazards can be found. The novice driver here actually detected the moving motorcyclists more rapidly than did the experienced participant.

This is an interesting article (maybe a topic split required?). I would hope however that any advanced trainers/coaches teaching offsiding would make sure that the trainee was fully aware of the risks attached to offsiding (and indeed overtaking), near a junction (including other driver's expectations).

This article has reminded me of how much longer I spend now scanning the road I am to join when at a junction then in my pre-advanced driving days, given the human tendency towards 'look but fail to see' scenarios. Experience has taught me that it is important to allow sufficient time not only look, but to see (process) the 'whole picture'.

It is certainly true that a lot of motorists are satisfied with the 'quick glance' at junctions rather than actively scanning for unexpected hazards.

www.driversdomainuk.com
Grahar

Postby Ralge » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:18 pm

In this context this is worth a read : http://www.londoncyclist.co.uk/raf-pilo ... -cyclists/

Similarly, the more I think about and encourage others to reflect on why they may get involved in a SMIDSY moment the more care (and time) I take at junctions.
There's:
- saccadic masking
- situational blindness (over-familiarity, rhythms and patterns of actions at well-known junctions)
- we look out for the big things that will hurt us
- eye blind spot (punctum caecum)
- blind spots created by door/window pillars and angles of approach
- water beads, dirt, snow, ice on window(s) making the last blind spots even worse.
With these (and more probably), it is quite healthy to consider that we are built not to see all there is to see. So "see and be seen" is a good mantra to drive by.
Fleet ADI, RoSPA Dip, RoADTest examiner.
Ralge

Postby Graham Wright » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:40 pm

Overtaking at junctions is counselled against and may even be against the law. (I am sure someone will advise).

I daily join a main road by turning left onto it and make the return trip at the end of my working day.

Turning right into this road, I always signal irrespective of whether I can see traffic approaching from behind. There is rearwards visibility for around a quarter of a mile. My rationale is that if I have to stop for oncoming traffic not visible when I prepare for the corner, then high speed traffic approaching from behind will see my signal and be prepared to stop if my entry into the side road is delayed.

Despite this, I have been overtaken part way into the turn on two occasions. The speed limit is 50. Both vehicles were Audis. On the second occasion, there would have been a serious accident if I had not stopped to allow the offender room between the hedge and myself.
Graham Wright

Postby Grahar » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:23 pm

Graham Wright wrote:Overtaking at junctions is counselled against and may even be against the law. (I am sure someone will advise).

I daily join a main road by turning left onto it and make the return trip at the end of my working day.

Turning right into this road, I always signal irrespective of whether I can see traffic approaching from behind. There is rearwards visibility for around a quarter of a mile. My rationale is that if I have to stop for oncoming traffic not visible when I prepare for the corner, then high speed traffic approaching from behind will see my signal and be prepared to stop if my entry into the side road is delayed.

Despite this, I have been overtaken part way into the turn on two occasions. The speed limit is 50. Both vehicles were Audis. On the second occasion, there would have been a serious accident if I had not stopped to allow the offender room between the hedge and myself.

I am wary of overtakers in the London driving I do on saturdays. There are so many stressed drivers who will make a sudden 'dive' for any space that becomes available around you.

Even when not turning (and giving a signal) a lot of drivers don't think 'why has he slowed/stopped?' (in the 'hazard aware' inquisitive sense), they think 'there's an opportunity to get a car ahead'!
Grahar

Return to Advanced Driving Forum