Night courtesy

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby javagreen » Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:52 pm

Hello everyone, Happy New Year :)
What are the ways in which you all acknowledge courtesy shown by another driver when driving at night? This is a topic which has sparked much lively conversation in our house, with many suggestions being dismissed as contravening various regulations and bylaws etc.etc. It's obvious that the normal restrained raising of a hand (whilst maintaining two-handed hold of steering-wheel) cannot be seen, so over to you...
javagreen

Postby 7db » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:54 pm

I've been known to drop to sidelights momentarily where safe and legal to do so. In fact in poor light, a hand very close to the windscreen is sometimes visible (or waved over the top of the windscreen for the open top motorist). From behind, the hand below the rvm can be silhouetted.
7db

Postby driverpete » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:56 pm

As you say, a wave of the hand can't be seen but I find a flash of the lights, whilst well-intentioned, is not only irritating but can leave one momentarily blinded (I do try not to look in the direction of the other vehicle if I feel a flash may be on the cards). So on balance I'd prefer no acknowledgment being satisfied with the warm glow that comes from knowing that I've done a good deed.
driverpete

Postby TripleS » Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:32 pm

Is a very brief flash of main beam dazzling? I don't think it is, at least I don't find it to be a problem, so that might be a legitimate option.

Another option is the brief use of hazard flashers, just a couples of flashes etc. I find that now seems to be getting used as a means of saying "thank you", especially by commercial vehicle drivers, when I've invited them to overtake and it has been completed safely.
TripleS

Postby Gareth » Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:36 pm

In a car with filament headlights I switch the headlights off then on. In a car with hid headlights I flash the front foglights on then off.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby waremark » Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:24 pm

Thanking someone towards me, if there is no one else to affect, I sometimes give a very quick headlight flash just before I am alongside - there is then no danger of dazzling. To thank someone behind, it is either the hazards, or again if it does not risk confusing a left right left flash of the indicators. Neither are HWC approved.
waremark

Postby Ralge » Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:52 pm

A hand/palm raised to thank at the front works in the dark and a hand/arm silhouetted against the windscreen/rear view mirror works for those behind.
I would avoid h/l flashes and use of hazards.
Fleet ADI, RoSPA Dip, RoADTest examiner.
Ralge

Postby Lingo » Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:05 pm

Ralge wrote:A hand/palm raised to thank at the front works in the dark and a hand/arm silhouetted against the windscreen/rear view mirror works for those behind.
I would avoid h/l flashes and use of hazards.

+1.
IAM F1RST award.
---
Keep it smooth. Keep it stable.
Lingo

Postby TripleS » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:10 pm

waremark wrote:Thanking someone towards me, if there is no one else to affect, I sometimes give a very quick headlight flash just before I am alongside - there is then no danger of dazzling. To thank someone behind, it is either the hazards, or again if it does not risk confusing a left right left flash of the indicators. Neither are HWC approved.

The HC needs to move with the times...and be greatly slimmed down. :)
TripleS

Postby onlinegenie » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:05 pm

7db wrote:I've been known to drop to sidelights momentarily where safe and legal to do so. (snip) From behind, the hand below the rvm can be silhouetted.

+1

I've been switching to sidelights momentarily to thank people for over 30 years and am disappointed that it hasn't caught on! I find flashed headlights to be too bright for comfort, even if they are only flashed very briefly.

I don't like the idea of using indicators to thank people - too easy to mislead other drivers.
onlinegenie

Postby javagreen » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:58 pm

Very useful to read the variety of courtesy-giving methods, and whilst I would not flash headlights, preferring to momentarily dip to sidelights, the visibilty of hand acknowledgements is interesting, although, as in all driving situations, I guess it comes down to individual circumstances at the time.
javagreen

Postby 7db » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:24 pm

I found myself at a rather tightly constructed roundabout last night after dark. The lady I was ceding priority to wanted to use my exit and was furiously waving me across in front of her so she could take a chunk of the road. I couldn't see her gesticulations for some time (and was at a loss as to why she didn't use the yellow flashy thing) - eventually I saw the movement.

If she had merely held her hand up to wave to thank me, there is no chance I would have seen it past her headlights.
7db

Postby Ancient » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:13 pm

Seeing past headlights can be a problem at night. On narrow (single track) lanes with passing points, once I have halted with room to pass me and the oncoming vehicle has seen me and slowed, I switch to sidelights to allow the other driver to see where the road is (and isn't). After all I have already ceded priority and the quicker (s)he can assess how to pass me the better. The acknowledgements vary between flash and dip to sidelights themselves, with a few still waving a ghostly hand.
Ancient

Postby Horse » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:41 pm

7db wrote:I've been known to drop to sidelights momentarily where safe and legal to do so. In fact in poor light, a hand very close to the windscreen is sometimes visible (or waved over the top of the windscreen for the open top motorist). From behind, the hand below the rvm can be silhouetted.

That, and that.

Often, if I cede to another driver, I'll squint in expectation of being dazzled.
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby 7db » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:29 pm

Ancient wrote:I switch to sidelights to allow the other driver to see where the road is (and isn't). After all I have already ceded priority and the quicker (s)he can assess how to pass me the better.

Intelligent analysis.
7db

Next

Return to Advanced Driving Forum