Your thoughts

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby Nigel » Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:47 pm

Whilst out on an IAM run today with a 18 year old coming along a 60 mph d/c I asked him to leave at the next exit, which has about a 100 Malik off down to a 15mph left bend,
Normally I would like to see him using the slip off to lose speed, however he has a black box fitted which would record it as harsh braking,

What are your thoughts
Nigel

Postby trashbat » Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:55 pm

What's the "harsh" in "harsh braking", according the Gospel of Box?

Rate of change of speed (acceleration), or rate of change of acceleration (jerk)?

i.e. do you get a penalty for using firm but tapered braking? That influences what he ought to be doing, I suppose.
Last edited by trashbat on Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rob - IAM F1RST, Alfa Romeo 156 JTS
trashbat

Postby jont » Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:02 pm

Ah yes, bloody insurance boxes. I'm waiting for the "sorry I ran into the back of you/ran your child over but I didn't want to brake harshly in case my insurance black box picked it up" :roll:
jont

Postby Nigel » Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:23 pm

It really boils down to
A. Slow down whilst in lane 1 (checking its safe to do)
B. Onto slip and brake to slow ( rather fast de acceleration )

And I agree jont it won't be too long, we never got to any limit 3/4 miles under limit spent to much time watching speedo how long will it be before an accident is caused by driving to box rather than safely
Nigel

Postby martine » Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:30 pm

Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby Horse » Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:23 pm

Nigel wrote: . . . however he has a black box fitted which would record it as harsh braking,

What are your thoughts

From what I've read about these systems, the companies look for more than single instances.

Mind you, if that was his regular commuting route, then it might become an issue!

http://www.wearemarmalade.co.uk/young-d ... -explained

We fit a small black box into your car. It's called a telematics unit and it includes a GPS device which records where you drive to and when. This means that you can tell where your car is at any time even if it ever gets stolen (or you just forget where you parked!).

The clever little black box then transmits all of your driving data back to us. Then we can look at your driving against the 'ABCs': Acceleration, Braking, Cornering and Speed.

We then send you some feedback allowing you to review your own driving performance. We'll also offer e-learning, with lots of free modules to help you develop safer driving skills.

http://www.wearemarmalade.co.uk/young-d ... ty-process

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/col ... ivers.html

If a driver’s conduct measures up to the legal and safety parameters set by the system, then he or she will earn a lower insurance premium. If the driver’s record shows a consistent pattern of speeding or brutal misuse of the controls, the premium rockets up punishingly.

An adult (usually a parent) is required to sign up as a named driver on Young Marmalade’s policy. Both named drivers can then access the Ingenium Dynamics website and look at all the records of journeys made in the car. A parent might then summon a young driver for a severe wigging over evidence of excess. Or the other way around.

According to Nick Moger, one of the founders of Young Marmalade, one of their cars was recently recorded as being driven at reckless speed and, when they got in touch with the driver on the policy, he protested his innocence.

It turned out that the culprit was the boy’s mother who had bought a Big Mac and was hurtling home to eat it before it got cold.
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby fungus » Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:27 pm

Just east of Dorchester where the A35 becomes D/C, the off slip to the Puddletown Forest is a very tight arc. If you are exiting with close following vehicles, you have to brake sharply. These black boxes do nothing to measure whether the driving is safe.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby jont » Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:40 pm

wearemarmalade wrote:
If a driver’s conduct measures up to the legal and safety parameters set by the system, then he or she will earn a lower insurance premium. If the driver’s record shows a consistent pattern of speeding or brutal misuse of the controls, the premium rockets up punishingly.

But they won't disclose what those parameters are in advance, or how they arrived at them being an indication of good/poor accident risk. What's "brutal" misuse of the control? What about driving dangerously quickly (for the conditions) but within the speed limit?

Simplistic rubbish :evil: /luddite
jont

Postby sussex2 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:48 pm

Nigel wrote:Whilst out on an IAM run today with a 18 year old coming along a 60 mph d/c I asked him to leave at the next exit, which has about a 100 Malik off down to a 15mph left bend,
Normally I would like to see him using the slip off to lose speed, however he has a black box fitted which would record it as harsh braking,

What are your thoughts

Scrap the black box and endure higher premiums for a while?
I'm not bothered about the old Romanians and Bulgarians but the Old Etonians scare me rigid.
sussex2

Postby Horse » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:04 pm

fungus wrote: These black boxes do nothing to measure whether the driving is safe.

That's a very bold statement; what proof do you have?
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby jont » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:23 pm

Horse wrote:
fungus wrote: These black boxes do nothing to measure whether the driving is safe.

Considering they can only measure some very basic parameters, I'd say it's quite an easy statement to make. They do nothing to measure attentiveness, attitude, whether someone is deliberately "making progress" rather than bimbling around making phone calls/chatting to passengers/listening to loud music. They promote the belief that if you're not speeding, you're driving safely.

What proof do the insurers have that complying with their arbitrary rules improves the claim rate?
jont

Postby MGF » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:47 pm

In time the data will be sufficient to yield useful information for assessing risk. In the meantime some speculation is necessary.
MGF

Postby sussex2 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:51 pm

Surely insurers exist for one purpose only; to make money.
The tinkers will invent any means and foist any contraption on the gullible to achieve that aim.
I'm not bothered about the old Romanians and Bulgarians but the Old Etonians scare me rigid.
sussex2

Postby MGF » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:54 pm

How does the use of these devices result in the insurer being more profitable without improving the identification of risk?
MGF

Postby fungus » Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:07 pm

Horse wrote:

Jont has answered that. It's rather like a speed camera measures speed. It can not measure whether the speed is safe at any given time.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Next

Return to Advanced Driving Forum