Driving with 'sparkle'

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby Gareth » Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:55 am

If it helps, I sometimes think of it as positioning to maintain an extended view. There's one circumstance in particular where this comes to mind, on a sweeping left. For some of these, the view from the left lane is noticeably limited by the curve of the bend and the shrubbery to the left. If one is already positioned out, with a good view, then keeping to the offside position can sometimes provide a very much extended view when compared to the nearside view. It would be a matter of judgement, then, to decide how long the offside position may be reasonably maintained based on how the longer range vision changes.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby TripleS » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:17 pm

waremark wrote:We tend not to believe in firm rules. On positioning for vision (after safety, but before stability) the general guidance would be not to put yourself somewhere where you might give someone else an unwelcome surprise, or find yourself short of time to move out of their way. That probably means that to consider crossing the centre line you already have a fairly long view and are travelling fairly quickly.

Right, I'm glad that first sentence is what it is. The rest of what you say also makes good sense, thanks.

Rightly or wrongly, I don't feel to be in any particular difficulty with this subject, I merely picked up on the point for clarification. I've long been accustomed to (warily) using a good deal of the available road width when it suits me (1), so I've reached some kind of a view 8) as to what is reasonable.

(1) I don't do it on the basis that "it's the thing to do": it has to offer me some benefit at the particular moment.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby TripleS » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:23 pm

hir wrote:
TripleS wrote:
We now appear to be implying that it is legitimate to be a bit more adventurous with positioning with the objective of extending the existing view. To me that is tantamount to going looking for an additional view, i.e. a view we do not already have. Now, if it is to be done cautiously and safely by, if necessary, backtracking promptly from this bold positioining, and there is benefit to be had, I welcome this relaxation and added freedom in positioining, but what do you think? Am I misunderstanding what you're saying here?

Best wishes all,
Dave.

Firstly, I'm not sure that I warrant the accolade of the collective "we", as in... "We now appear to be implying". These were my words and mine alone.

However, I understand the point that you are making which deserves an explanation from myself. The words that I posted should be expanded to read... [in my opinion] It's OK to position off-side in order to maintain and/or seek to extend the view that we already have. We must never move off-side to look for vision from a position where we do not already have an extended view.

In other words the the vision, and safety margin in terms of distance to the limit point, must be there in the first place before any decision is made to off-side, or continue to stay off-side, in order maintain and/or extend that vision. If the vision that we already have closes down and doesn't extend then yes, of course, we must return to our own side.

That's just my interpretation of how this is applied in practice.

Fine, thank you for your explanation. I feel it adds useful clarification.

Sorry about my careless use of "we", but I didn't want you to be left with sole responsibility for starting all this.... :lol: I thought it was something that SD had said that prompted it.
Last edited by TripleS on Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TripleS

Postby fungus » Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:51 pm

Here is a situation that I position completely offside if there is no other road user about. This is a single track railway bridge in a 30 limit.

https://maps.google.com/?ll=50.714599,- ... 3,33.448,0

Moving out early enough gives time to move back with no conflict, and as traffic speeds are probably below 20, IMHO quite safe. It avoids moving out blind in the final few yards of approach, which is then blind.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby sussex2 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:14 am

fungus wrote:Here is a situation that I position completely offside if there is no other road user about. This is a single track railway bridge in a 30 limit.

https://maps.google.com/?ll=50.714599,- ... 3,33.448,0

Moving out early enough gives time to move back with no conflict, and as traffic speeds are probably below 20, IMHO quite safe. It avoids moving out blind in the final few yards of approach, which is then blind.

I have used this road for more than 30 years and by moving offside as you approach the bend and whilst still on the bridge you got a valuable view ahead down the narrow single track lane.
You can see anyone approaching (it's a popular dog walking site)with plenty of time to move back to the left in order to give way.
In all the years I've done it (often several times a day) only one person has objected to the practice.

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=mill+h ... Sea&gl=uk&

Move the yellow man between the red A and the A27 on Mill Hill and you can view the approach over the bridge.
I'm not bothered about the old Romanians and Bulgarians but the Old Etonians scare me rigid.
sussex2

Previous

Return to Advanced Driving Forum