Traffic light procedure

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby Graham Wright » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:30 am

If the vehicle in front has an autodimming mirror, it will take time to react. When you turn your lights off, the mirror will un-dim - then when you turn them on again you'll distract the driver as it will take time for the mirror to react and dim to the brighter lights. Given you'll be turning them on about the time the driver moves off, isn't there also the risk they think you're flashing them out of impatience? .[/quote]

Oh dear, oh dear oh dear! So, if as a non IAM driver, you drive right up to the vehicle in front, your lights are then obscured by the boot/tailgate in front and won't cause the autodimmer to operate. Then, when the car in front moves off, your lights will then cause the autodimmer to operate. Similar situation? This is the norm as I have observed it.

Also, AIUI if your vehicle has Xenon (gas discharge) headlamps, frequent cycling of them isn't good for their long term life.

It doesn't thank goodness - I abhor them. I can see no reason for such intense lights when the range to the illuminated target is a few car lengths ahead (at best). Because of their peculiar beam pattern they often seem to be flashing when passing over minor irregularities in the road surface.

There is an active campaign to declare them illegal and I have subscribed to it. The response from the DOT (I think) was that "adequate legislation exists to cope with dazzle".

It doesn't.

Now, there's an excuse for the first thread drift. :mrgreen:
Graham Wright

Postby gannet » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:49 am

Graham Wright wrote: Because of their peculiar beam pattern they often seem to be flashing when passing over minor irregularities in the road surface.

It isn't a peculiar beam pattern that causes this, it's the self levelling system adjusting to the attitude of the car over bumps etc.

Aftermarket systems don't tend to have this system which can cause MOT failure (should...)

drift away :D
-- Gannet.
Membership Secretary, East Surrey Group of Advanced Motorists
Driving: Citroen DS3 DSport 1.6THP / MINI Cooper Coupe :D
Riding: Airnimal Joey Sport... (helps with the commute into London during the week!)
ImageImage
gannet

Postby Graham Wright » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:54 am

gannet wrote:
Graham Wright wrote: Because of their peculiar beam pattern they often seem to be flashing when passing over minor irregularities in the road surface.

It isn't a peculiar beam pattern that causes this, it's the self levelling system adjusting to the attitude of the car over bumps etc.

Aftermarket systems don't tend to have this system which can cause MOT failure (should...)

drift away :D

I thought it might be that. Gadgets are wonderful aren't they?

(I have a3.5 litre MGB V8 Lenham 2+2 roadster and I can work on it!).
Graham Wright

Postby trashbat » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:38 pm

I definitely wouldn't turn the lights off. It's another complication in the setting off procedure that might cause you to make a mistake (including leaving your lights off). I too can't recall being particularly annoyed by them, and certainly never thought the driver should do anything about it, unlike brake lights.

I wouldn't turn them off at chicane roadworks either, although I understand the aim, since it's exactly the time you need to be seen.
Rob - IAM F1RST, Alfa Romeo 156 JTS
trashbat

Postby sussex2 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:53 pm

Interestingly the auto headlights on my car also come on when the sun is behind; when coming out of the sun and it would be harder for road user ahead to see me.
I find this useful and it is regular practice in some countries abroad but not that usual in the UK. I've noticed UK drivers often put headlights because they can't see rather than to be seen in the same circumstance.

As for the strict topic I would approach the lights in whichever gear was suitable then assess the situation. If the wait would be brief the footbrake may be fine and the gear lever would be in neutral with foot off the clutch.
If the wait would be longer then I would apply the handbrake as much to give myself a rest and the following vehicles a rest from my brake lights as for any other reason.
Not having much confidence in the handbrake which may be a weak and ineffective brake I'm not a great fan in over confidence in the thing.
Last edited by sussex2 on Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not bothered about the old Romanians and Bulgarians but the Old Etonians scare me rigid.
sussex2

Postby MGF » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:55 pm

I have difficulty coping with bright lights and I am affected by dipped lights in door mirrors. I switch to sidelights in queuing traffic to improve visibility around the traffic which makes pedestrians and cyclists easier to spot.
MGF

Postby waremark » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:56 pm

Graham Wright wrote:
waremark wrote:
Graham Wright wrote:I would be interested to hear what others do when stopping at traffic lights.

My procedure is;-

You do not mention ensuring that the brake lights stay on until the situation is stable behind with two or three vehicles also stopped. Another thing to consider is how far behind the vehicle in front you stop, whether you leave a gap for filtering on one side or the other, and whether you think about a possible escape route if someone fails to stop behind.

I do both of those and the sense of the second I actually learnt on my initial assessment (i.e. before my IAM instruction).

You are obviously a thinking driver. On ? most Land Rovers, the parking brake operates on the transmission, and if you are on any slope when changing from foot brake to parking brake there is a signficant and unpleasant movement. In a Land Rover I would probably be reluctant to release the foot brake other than for a long stop.
waremark

Postby sussex2 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:08 pm

I often plan the escape route mentioned - wider field of vision clearer field of fire.
Sometimes I get complacent and don't do it so often but never feel comfortable boxed in at all.

On topic and if first in line aside a large vehicle which blocks my view to left or right I will often move ahead to clear my view; not only do you get a better view of the road ahead but also of the situation at the junction - pedestrians hidden by the larger vehicle etc..

I can't claim to have any set procedure but take each situation as it comes.

I have an inbuilt distrust of handbrakes and though I don't generalise I regard them mainly as parking brakes and something to help start off on hills.
The only cars I've owned that had decent ones were the older Saabs on which the handbrake operated on the front wheels. It was highly effective and could be an asset in slippery conditions (and back to front doughnuts - Ooops!)
I'm not bothered about the old Romanians and Bulgarians but the Old Etonians scare me rigid.
sussex2

Postby fungus » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:27 pm

I personally don't switch off the dipped beam but I leave my foot on the foot brake until the situation behind is secure. For any stop that is longer than two or three seconds, I use the handbrake. I leave a gap large enough that I can see the rear tyres and some tarmac.

Graham Wright wrote:(I have a3.5 litre MGB V8 Lenham 2+2 roadster and I can work on it!).

I thought that the 3.5 V8 was the MGC.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby Graham Wright » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:48 pm

fungus wrote:I personally don't switch off the dipped beam but I leave my foot on the foot brake until the situation behind is secure. For any stop that is longer than two or three seconds, I use the handbrake. I leave a gap large enough that I can see the rear tyres and some tarmac.

Graham Wright wrote:(I have a3.5 litre MGB V8 Lenham 2+2 roadster and I can work on it!).

I thought that the 3.5 V8 was the MGC.

"Bit" modified by Mr Lenham!
Graham Wright

Postby Graham Wright » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:49 pm

MGF wrote:I have difficulty coping with bright lights and I am affected by dipped lights in door mirrors. I switch to sidelights in queuing traffic to improve visibility around the traffic which makes pedestrians and cyclists easier to spot.

There is one more then!
Graham Wright

Postby Graham Wright » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:53 pm

trashbat wrote:I definitely wouldn't turn the lights off. It's another complication in the setting off procedure that might cause you to make a mistake (including leaving your lights off). I too can't recall being particularly annoyed by them, and certainly never thought the driver should do anything about it, unlike brake lights.

I think I can cope with one more task! In fact, I switch on when the lights change to amber.

I wouldn't turn them off at chicane roadworks either, although I understand the aim, since it's exactly the time you need to be seen.

I think that is bad. Roadworks often involve digging things up. Oncoming traffic should not have their vision impaired by dazzle when there may be hazards in consequence of the works. If you are waiting, then you are behind the "wait here" sign aren't you?
Graham Wright

Postby Ancient » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:06 pm

What I try to do is:
TL ahead, green - may change ... observations ... change to appropriate flexible gear if necessary, cover clutch and ready to move to brake ... hasn't changed - all round obs. and if safe, gone (add in all the other stuff which varies according to whether it's a junction, pedestrian crossing etc).

Next best is:
TL ahead, red - may change ... all round obs. and change to appropriate flexible gear if necessary, brake gently, looking to keep moving as it turns green ... Red & Amber- select appropriate gear - Green = observation and if safe - gone.

Less happy with:
TL ahead, red - may change ... all round obs. and change to appropriate flexible gear if necessary, brake gently, looking to keep moving as it turns green ... Still Red - I now probably have no idea when it will change but brake to a halt (preferably with stop line in view). Watching the vehicle behind, the lights and all around for any movement, handbrake then neutral and oh! It's R&A so back into gear - all round observation and if safe - gone.

Or even:
TL ahead, green - may change ... change to appropriate flexible gear if necessary, cover clutch and ready to move to brake ... Amber and I can still stop safely so brake to a halt (preferably with stop line in view). Watching the vehicle behind, the lights and all around for any movement, handbrake then neutral and off the clutch (engine may auto-stop); off the footbrake if there's a couple or more vehicles stopped behind.

too many different possibles really - the above (as noted) doesn't cover whether it's a pedestrian xing, or junction (what type? How many roads at what angle?), whether I've been moving at 40+ or 20- (affects whether e.g. cycles may have been catching me), how busy the road is generally: All will change the 'routine' slightly, for road position and where most attention needs to be fixed/how quickly I'll expect to move on.
Last edited by Ancient on Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ancient

Postby TripleS » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:09 pm

I think Graham's list is a good start, and I like the bit about switching headlights off, but I tend to keep foot on the brake pedal until the situation behind me has settled into a reassuring state. In fact I may give the brake lights a flash or two if I see somebody approaching from behind at an overly brisk pace.
Last edited by TripleS on Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TripleS

Postby TripleS » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:16 pm

trashbat wrote:I definitely wouldn't turn the lights off. It's another complication in the setting off procedure that might cause you to make a mistake (including leaving your lights off). I too can't recall being particularly annoyed by them, and certainly never thought the driver should do anything about it, unlike brake lights.

I don't see that as a problem. If those who are waiting at the temporary traffic lights switch their headlights off, and position themselves suitably, they will be seen in the headlights of the oncomers, who don't have to cope with the glare of headlights on the waiting vehicles.

In general I prefer headlights to be switched off when we're not moving, unless the stop is for a very brief period.
TripleS

PreviousNext

Return to Advanced Driving Forum