Traffic light procedure

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby sussex2 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:44 am

Ancient wrote:
sussex2 wrote:I'm surprised by the 50 cm clearance but relieved it was such a small percentage.

"Within 50cm": I have had one driver overtake so close as to catch hold of the end of my peddle (toe straps in those days) in his wheel arch. It was quite exciting being pushed along at 40mph+ (but he got a bit annoyed at my attracting his attention by beating on his bonnet). Another time, in a traffic jam an overtaking far managed to pull my front wheel out by catching the axle-end. That's sort of on topic as it was at TLs :wink:

Ahhh, exciting days.

A legacy of 'keeping well to the left' I suppose :)
I'm not bothered about the old Romanians and Bulgarians but the Old Etonians scare me rigid.
sussex2

Postby Ancient » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:36 pm

sussex2 wrote:
Ancient wrote:
sussex2 wrote:I'm surprised by the 50 cm clearance but relieved it was such a small percentage.

"Within 50cm": I have had one driver overtake so close as to catch hold of the end of my peddle (toe straps in those days) in his wheel arch. It was quite exciting being pushed along at 40mph+ (but he got a bit annoyed at my attracting his attention by beating on his bonnet). Another time, in a traffic jam an overtaking far managed to pull my front wheel out by catching the axle-end. That's sort of on topic as it was at TLs :wink:

Ahhh, exciting days.

A legacy of 'keeping well to the left' I suppose :)

It was part of the learning process which taught me what John Franklin wrote about (which I came across much later). It went with being pulled over in Richmond Park when climbing a hill, because the police driver "Could not overtake when there was traffic approaching, because you were wobbling". "How much was I wobbling officer?" "About a foot" ... conversation went on a while, but ended with him telling me he didn't care what the HC said ("Remember that cyclists may be unable to keep a straight line" was in there in those days - some things were better) and driving off.

Meanwhile an update to the 50cm bit http://www.ctc.org.uk/news/advertising- ... al-cycling
The letter from the co-chairs of the All Party Parliamentary Cycling Group makes good reading (I made the same points in my complaint, before I read that).

This really is OT you know! :lol:
Ancient

Postby michael769 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:25 pm

The ASA's chief executive has ordered it to withdraw its ruling for review.

http://www.asa.org.uk/News-resources/Me ... uling.aspx
Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open
Thomas Robert Dewar(1864-1930)
michael769

Postby Graham Wright » Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:19 pm

Bump due to (late) edit.
Graham Wright

Postby Ancient » Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:12 pm

As long as the thread is bumped anyway:
http://www.ctc.org.uk/news/asa-overturn ... s-evidence
Ancient

Postby Kimosabe » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:54 pm

sussex2 wrote:The same with my MX5 as a lot of people simply don't see you. The thing is by the way the California model which is bright yellow!
Slightly off topic but I also notice that people will follow you much more closely in a bright coloured car than a darker one. It is notable in the Mazda.
My own theory is that the eye is attracted to bright colours and that we consider them more safe; hence are happier to get close to them. That would blow the theory about HiViz jackets and cyclists out of the window :)

One thing i've noticed in my MX5 is that the rear view magnifies. This sometimes catches me out when I switch cars and something to add to my cockpit drill. It's also low slung and so headlights in the rear view as well as oncoming can be an issue. 4x4's and Vans are the worst for this.

As for how the brain perceives what the eyes see as colours, I tend to think it's sometimes more of a matter of not steering towards what you are looking directly at. ('Ideo-Motor Iesponse/effect'). A lesson I learned while skiing into a pylon as I desperately tried not to, many years ago.

One quote about IMR's
"honest, intelligent people can unconsciously engage in muscular activity that is consistent with their expectations" (Hyman,1977)

As for Hi-Viz and cyclists, not wearing brightly coloured clothing while cycling, is nothing short of daft, in my book. I encountered a few on unlit A roads while driving back on the M23 detour from Gatwick to Brighton last night and another today on an NSL, in the rain near Shoreham today. It's just such a Darwin Award of an idea.
A wise man once told me that "it depends". I sometimes agree.
Kimosabe

Previous

Return to Advanced Driving Forum