Road positioning, cyclist ahead

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby sussex2 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:16 pm

Custom24 wrote:
TripleS wrote:But I still think cycles should be registered and taxed, and cyclists should have insurance, and an identifying number on their backs, so that wrongdoers can be tracked down and suitably punished - like would happen to me if I ever did anything wrong while dawdling about on the roads. :wink:

Does the wink icon at the end of that mean you are being sarcastic, or do you really think any of this?

I agree with the insurance!
I'm not bothered about the old Romanians and Bulgarians but the Old Etonians scare me rigid.
sussex2

Postby Custom24 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:19 pm

sussex2 wrote:I agree with the insurance!

Tell me your story, or is this just theoretical?
Custom24

Postby sussex2 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:27 pm

Custom24 wrote:

I think anyone who takes to the road on wheels should have third party or public liability insurance.
I'm not bothered about the old Romanians and Bulgarians but the Old Etonians scare me rigid.
sussex2

Postby TripleS » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:42 pm

Custom24 wrote:
TripleS wrote:But I still think cycles should be registered and taxed, and cyclists should have insurance, and an identifying number on their backs, so that wrongdoers can be tracked down and suitably punished - like would happen to me if I ever did anything wrong while dawdling about on the roads. :wink:

Does the wink icon at the end of that mean you are being sarcastic, or do you really think any of this?

Honest answer: No, I'm not being entirely serious about it, for the moment.

There are various reasons why cycling should be encouraged:

They don't consume finite energy resources.
There would be less atmospheric pollution of our environement.
Noise levels would be reduced.
They occupy less road space.
They do not require such a high quality road surface, not that we have much of that at present!
It would be better for the health of the nation, though not everybody would be able to participate and benefit.

....and I expect there are other reasons, but that's a start.

Having said that, I really would like the cycling community to cut out some of their self-righteous and tiresome behaviour, and stop behaving as if they have some sort of unchallengeable moral high ground relative to mechanically propelled road users. I appreciate that not all cyclists let the side down in this way, but it is clear that some do, whether they are commuters in the hectic conditions of travel in our towns and cities, or recreational cyclists out in the country in groups.

Let's have proper respect and consideration for each other, however we travel, otherwise one could start getting more serious about advocating cracking down on certain groups.

There you go. YMMV.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
Last edited by TripleS on Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TripleS

Postby Custom24 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:11 pm

sussex2 wrote:
Custom24 wrote:

I think anyone who takes to the road on wheels should have third party or public liability insurance.

Theoretical, then.
Custom24

Postby fungus » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:39 pm

Custom24 wrote:

I do, having been on the receiving end of a reckless act by a teenage cyclist.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3010&p=59223&hilit=I%27ve+had+an+accident#p59223
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby gannet » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:00 pm

sussex2 wrote:
Custom24 wrote:

Join the CTC - such insurance comes as part of membership :D

As for the video of the idiots... you will always get them and not much will change their behaviour - doesn't excuse it though :roll:

The ASL boxes are designed/the idea behind them (as far as I'm led to believe...) is so that cyclists in the box are more visible to HGV's at the front of a queue - the cab's blind spot can be alarmingly big... Personally, I use several of these such boxes everyday on my commute and have never had any major problems with them :)
-- Gannet.
Membership Secretary, East Surrey Group of Advanced Motorists
Driving: Citroen DS3 DSport 1.6THP / MINI Cooper Coupe :D
Riding: Airnimal Joey Sport... (helps with the commute into London during the week!)
ImageImage
gannet

Postby Custom24 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:37 pm

fungus wrote:
Custom24 wrote:

I do, having been on the receiving end of a reckless act by a teenage cyclist.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3010&p=59223&hilit=I%27ve+had+an+accident#p59223

Which bit(s) do you agree with?
Custom24

Postby fungus » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:27 pm

Custom24 wrote:Which bit(s) do you agree with?

Insurance, and identity plates for the bicycle.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby Ancient » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:41 pm

You don't need insurance to claim against anyone in a public place. In any case most household insurances cover Third Party claims of the sort that might arise using a bicycle. The extra insurance required by the drivers of motor vehicles is specifically because the types and seriousness of damage typically done by motor vehicles exceeds those caused by cycles by orders of magnitude.

Registration has been examined and found to be economically unviable (i.e. it would cost signoificantly more than it could possibly raise and still remain proportionate to the risk posed by cycles) - and would cost even more when the health costs of discouraging cycle (as it would) use are added in.
Ancient

Previous

Return to Advanced Driving Forum