Mini roundabouts

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby Graham Wright » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:29 pm

I know this topic has been addressed before but I would like to see it re-aired.

The "rules" state you must treat them as you would large roundabouts.

Two situations;-

My observer recounted one of his pupils doing it the right way only to be passed by someone else driving straight over and ending up fist waving and horn blowing as he passed her following her route out.
That was clearly wrong but I can see it is easy to assume someone who keeps outside the "dot" is going to turn left.

Anyone familiar with Craven Arms will have noted a mini roundabout actually embedded in the joining side road. It feels absolutely absurd to obey the law here as to do so one must actually turn into the side road and then effect a sort of U turn to exit.

I would like to be allowed to view a mini roundabout as an indication of priorities and can really see no danger in that as long as common sense continues. (Of course I wont!)

I await the learned responses.
Graham Wright

Postby michael769 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:44 pm

Too many drivers cut the dot simply in order to go through far too quickly. These are often the same drivers that do not obey the priorities and blare their horns at anyone who dare to hold them up by entering the roundabout before them at a suitable speed.

Of course some of these roundabouts are quite badly designed - often as a cheap form of traffic calming - and this does not help matters any.

And don't get me started on the efforts in some supermarket car parks!
Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open
Thomas Robert Dewar(1864-1930)
michael769

Postby sussex2 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:12 pm

I quite like mini roundabouts as a lot of people hesitate which allows others to make better progress.
The only thing I would introduce at them is a ban on U turns as doing this spoils the whole point of the thing.
I'm not bothered about the old Romanians and Bulgarians but the Old Etonians scare me rigid.
sussex2

Postby fungus » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:20 pm

sussex2 wrote:I quite like mini roundabouts as a lot of people hesitate which allows others to make better progress.
The only thing I would introduce at them is a ban on U turns as doing this spoils the whole point of the thing.

On the IOW the road that drops down off Culver Down is blind to the right when joining the main road, the B3395 Sandown road.

https://maps.google.com/?ll=50.672588,- ... 8,23.577,0

There is a no right turn at this point and you have to turn left, go to a mini roundabout and U turn. I was nearly hit by a elderly motorist who, I would imagine didn't see my right hand indicator flashing, which would indicate a U turn as there is no road to the right. Personally I have no problem with U turning. Usually the driver is travelling slower, taking a wider line, and is looking back up the road from whence they came.

One double roundabout where drivers assume that the oncoming driver who is signalling right, is actually going ahead at the first and then right at the second is this one on the B3068 Poole to Ferndown road.

https://maps.google.com/?ll=50.745865,- ... 0,32.685,0
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby zadocbrown » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:59 pm

There are a few that are just innapropriate - I recommend complaining loudly to the LA.

I would rarely take a liberty though - I think here its important to set an example of the orthodox method - which too many drivers seem sadly unaware of. Most of the accidents, near misses and road rage incidents I see at mini r/b would not happen if drivers took the prescribed course. They mostly work just fine until people start cutting accross - especially turning right - then the trouble starts.
zadocbrown

Return to Advanced Driving Forum