Which is more dangerous/illegal?

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby Graham Wright » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:58 am

Whilst at the wheel - eating a finger of KitKat (presented by a passenger) or smoking?
Graham Wright

Postby Graham Wright » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:40 am

StressedDave wrote:Does a kitkat set fire to your nads if dropped? No... then it's most obviously smoking. Equally if one is sufficiently endowed in the big mouth department, a whole finger goes in, thus obviating any need to hold or otherwise deal with the chocolately goodness.

Well reasoned and I agree.

However, a driver was prosecuted for eating a KitKat (at traffic lights and stationary) but I haven't heard of anyone prosecuted for smoking.
Graham Wright

Postby TripleS » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:11 pm

Graham Wright wrote:
StressedDave wrote:Does a kitkat set fire to your nads if dropped? No... then it's most obviously smoking. Equally if one is sufficiently endowed in the big mouth department, a whole finger goes in, thus obviating any need to hold or otherwise deal with the chocolately goodness.

Well reasoned and I agree.

However, a driver was prosecuted for eating a KitKat (at traffic lights and stationary) but I haven't heard of anyone prosecuted for smoking.

Aye, things are a bit out of balance there; not that I wish to see drivers prosecuted for smoking.

Where it looks as if a vehicle is not under proper control, or proper control is likely to be jeopardised, some kind of action would be appropriate, but some prosecutions are rather misplaced.

Best wishes all,
Dave - a non-smoker.
TripleS

Postby sussex2 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:14 pm

Purely personally I don't see smoking whilst driving any differently than using a mobile.
However the poor old smoker has been persecuted enough. If only the daft addicted mugs had use a little forethought and been just a tad pro active in reducing the impact of their disgusting habit on others;then they would probably not have found themselves as ostracised as they presently are.
I wouldn't ban it though as I believe a car is private property and what you do in it is your business; as long as you drive properly.
I'm not bothered about the old Romanians and Bulgarians but the Old Etonians scare me rigid.
sussex2

Postby exportmanuk » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:59 pm

Just don't flick your lighted fag ends out of the window whilst driving along the road :twisted:
exportmanuk

Postby sussex2 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:26 pm

exportmanuk wrote:Just don't flick your lighted fag ends out of the window whilst driving along the road :twisted:

And preferably not into my little roadster thank you very much.
I've been visited by a fag end and sweetie wrapper and a rather nasty used kleenex; my fault of course for venturing onto the hell hole that is the M25.
Luckily I rarely have to put myself through such degradation these days :D
I'm not bothered about the old Romanians and Bulgarians but the Old Etonians scare me rigid.
sussex2

Postby 7db » Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:05 pm

I'm just going to leave this here.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fl7o1EB0sYI[/youtube]
7db

Postby sussex2 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:30 pm

7db wrote:I'm just going to leave this here.

Normal in the part of Sussex I live in :D
sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:32 pm

sussex2 wrote:
7db wrote:I'm just going to leave this here.

Normal in the part of Sussex I live in :D

Anyone who has driven a U.S. car of that vintage knows what the chap did was no mean feat!
sussex2

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:44 pm

For the aged and infirm, what's the film?
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:11 pm

I watched the clip - just wanted to know where it came from. Ta :)
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Stephen » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:48 pm

Its easy the amount of times I have had words with drivers who have been driving, whilst drinking their milk shake from McDonalds drink in right hand left hand turning wheel then let go to change gear you have probably all seen it.
That is what perhaps has happened with the kit kat scenario who knows.
Stephen

Postby martine » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:29 pm

Stephen wrote:That is what perhaps has happened with the kit kat scenario who knows.

I believe the driver was stationary in a queue of traffic when they were observed by a traffic police and pulled them.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby Stephen » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:38 am

I would like to see the press article even though I dont believe everything the papers write about things,there has got to be more than just eating a Kit Kat whilst stopped at the lights. After all they have to prove the offence of not being in proper control and from that, it doesnt sound like they would be able to,but must have had something in the way of evidence as it has past the CPS threshold test,and by that I mean when the summons was reveiwed after submission it has got to court.
Im sure someone will post the link to the article for us to read at least the medias version of what has happened.
Stephen

Postby michael769 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:41 am

It was a couple of years go now: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/739005.stm :)
Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open
Thomas Robert Dewar(1864-1930)
michael769

Next

Return to Advanced Driving Forum