Google Streetview car goes offsiding!

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby Horse » Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:00 pm

Hope this works . . . Click between them or use the forward/backwards arrows in one.

http://maps.gstatic.com/m/streetview/?q ... 8,,0,13.14

Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby Silk » Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:16 pm

Horse wrote:Hope this works . . . Click between them or use the forward/backwards arrows in one.

You obviously have too much time on your hands. ;-)

If he/she was off-siding for view, it should have been given up sooner, IMO. Not that I'm a big fan of off-siding in these circumstances - too much risk for too little gain.

Not much to do on a Sunday afternoon this way either. :-(
Silk

Postby martine » Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:17 pm

Love it...it would be rude not to wouldn't it? I wonder who was driving?
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby Kimosabe » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:38 pm

When I see the slightest hint of an exit, overtaking and offsiding are no longer part of the plan. It seems to me that the Google car offsided unnecessarily and across a drive exit/entrance (the one with the loose surface just around the bend).

I think that if I had offsided where the Google car did, that I would probably have pulled over before the drive. I need to check that on the map view of the bend but I probably wouldn't have offsided that bend anyway as it's not that sharp, there is plenty of view even with mid summer foliage and I couldn't see any advantage from doing so.

I was looking at some links posted here about the Westbound Shoreham bypass tunnel approach, regarding accidents that occur just before the tunnel and found a few shots of a rear seat passenger in a passing black car, making gestures at the Google camera. Perhaps the Google car driver who offsided, was expecting to find the same people throwing moonies at him from somewhere beyond the unextended limit point? It must get wearing having folk doing stuff like that while you're sauntering around the NSLs, while at 'work'. :wink:
A wise man once told me that "it depends". I sometimes agree.
Kimosabe

Postby fungus » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:54 pm

I like it. I agree with Silk that he held off side too long though.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby Horse » Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:31 pm

Errr . . . Perhaps the joke's on me, and you're all winding me up, but they didn't actually offside, it's just where two (Ebound and Wbound) sequences join.
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby martine » Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:39 pm

:D
I did wonder but then it looked quite convincing to me...nice one.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby Custom24 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:20 am

You can tell because the rear antenna of the car is visible in one shot, and not the other.
Custom24

Postby 7db » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:45 pm

Horse wrote:Errr . . . Perhaps the joke's on me, and you're all winding me up, but they didn't actually offside, it's just where two (Ebound and Wbound) sequences join.

Offsiding in reverse gear, perhaps?
7db

Postby martine » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:01 pm

7db wrote:Offsiding in reverse gear, perhaps?

mmmm...is that a challenge? :shock:
martine

Return to Advanced Driving Forum