Which organisation

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby neckender » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:03 am

Hi, I have passed Bike, Car and LGV advanced tests with IAM.

I was wondering which organisation holds the most credibility?
"Anyone who tries to make a distinction between education and entertainment doesn't know the first thing about either"

DSA LGV Instructor, SaFED Instructor, IAM Advanced Car & Commercial, PTLLS, RoSPA Dip.
neckender

Postby revian » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:47 am

The John Lewis partnership... :D

Shame they don't do AD...
Wirral
revian

Postby sussex2 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:05 am

Personally I prefer Rospa as their tests need to be repeated in order to maintain the qualification. Ialso believe they set a higher standard.
Many people however may be more familiar with the IAM.
I'm not bothered about the old Romanians and Bulgarians but the Old Etonians scare me rigid.
sussex2

Postby martine » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:18 am

sussex2 wrote:Personally I prefer Rospa as their tests need to be repeated in order to maintain the qualification. Ialso believe they set a higher standard.

Of course it's true about the mandatory 3 year retest but why do you say ROSPA is a higher standard?

Our IAM staff examiner also tests for ROSPA in the Bristol area and he suggests:

ROSPA Bronze ~ IAM fail
ROSPA Silver ~ IAM pass
ROSPA Gold ~ IAM F1rst

And that's without considering ROSPA Diploma or IAM Masters.

In the end all driving with constructive criticism and an open mind is beneficial regardless of the piece of paper you may or may not get as a result. That's why I like ADUK driving days - without exception they are attended by people who want to improve, share ideas, coach and receive coaching in an enjoyable and friendly atmosphere and no one get a 'qualification' at the end.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby michael769 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:26 am

martine wrote:why do you say ROSPA is a higher standard?

Because RoADAR claim it to be the case, and have never been effectively challenged on their claim?

RoADAR test Guidlines wrote:Gold
This grade is recognised as the highest driving award available to the public.

http://www.roadar.org/drivers/info/car- ... e-2012.pdf

On a personal level, I feel the retests give a RoADAR membership greater credibility than IAM membership, having tutored folks who passed the IAM test many years ago I have some experience of how standards can drop, and the way the drop tends to be greater the longer it has been since they passed, when folks do not work towards maintaining and further improvement.

For folks who are not able to internalize the drive to maintain and improve the restests do provide an effective external drive.
Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open
Thomas Robert Dewar(1864-1930)
michael769

Postby martine » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:41 am

michael769 wrote:Because RoADAR claim it to be the case, and have never been effectively challenged on their claim?

Ohhh...I think they have...

"The IAM Masters programme is the ultimate recognition for a civilian driver or rider to attain".

http://www.iam.org.uk/drivers/motorists-courses/masters

But we both know both claims are somewhat spurious...HPC anyone?

On a personal level, I feel the retests give a RoADAR membership greater credibility than IAM membership, having tutored folks who passed the IAM test many years ago I have some experience of how standards can drop...

Absolutely agree but you are talking about the membership as a whole. If you're an IAM Observer then you are retested regularly as are IAM 'Masters'. The OP obviously does not fall into the category of IAM member you are talking about simply because he's on ADUK asked the question...he clearly knows there's more to advanced driving than passing the IAM test.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby Ralge » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:48 am

martine wrote:
sussex2 wrote:Personally I prefer Rospa as their tests need to be repeated in order to maintain the qualification. Ialso believe they set a higher standard.

Of course it's true about the mandatory 3 year retest but why do you say ROSPA is a higher standard?

Our IAM staff examiner also tests for ROSPA in the Bristol area and he suggests:

ROSPA Bronze ~ IAM fail
ROSPA Silver ~ IAM pass
ROSPA Gold ~ IAM F1rst

In the end all driving with constructive criticism and an open mind is beneficial regardless of the piece of paper you may or may not get as a result. That's why I like ADUK driving days - without exception they are attended by people who want to improve, share ideas, coach and receive coaching in an enjoyable and friendly atmosphere and no one get a 'qualification' at the end.

Interesting view of a RoSPA Bronze as being equivalent, perhaps, to an IAM fail.
I have had no exposure to the IAM marking structure so can anyone explain what test elements would allow a low pass for RoSPA but a fail for IAM?
Fleet ADI, RoSPA Dip, RoADTest examiner.
Ralge

Postby sussex2 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:13 pm

martine wrote:

ROSPA Bronze ~ IAM fail
ROSPA Silver ~ IAM pass
ROSPA Gold ~ IAM F1rst

I started my post with the word personally and it was my own experience that led me to find the basic IAM standard not equal to that set by Rospa.
It was many years ago and I was not impressed by the attitude of the examiner or indeed some of the comments he made.
I'd put the standard required to pass the IAM (as it was then)roughly equivalent to that required for a driving instructors licence which is not IMHO that high. I passed them both in the same year so there was an opportunity to properly compare.
Getting a Rospa Diploma and keeping it stretched me and spurred me on.
I'm not bothered about the old Romanians and Bulgarians but the Old Etonians scare me rigid.
sussex2

Postby Gareth » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:06 pm

Ralge wrote:Interesting view of a RoSPA Bronze as being equivalent, perhaps, to an IAM fail.
I have had no exposure to the IAM marking structure so can anyone explain what test elements would allow a low pass for RoSPA but a fail for IAM?

Do you mean to ask the other way around?

BTW, GS, who sometimes posts here, said he examines for both organisations and that, according to his understanding and how he makes assessments, the minimum IAM pass is equivalent to a RoADAR Silver.

FWIW I think a RoADAR Bronze is awarded when someone shows elements of advanced driving but not sufficiently to be graded as a Silver.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby Ralge » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:08 pm

The relativity of IAM v RoSPA assessments and grades/pass or fail leans heavily toward subjectivity on the part of an Examiner unless, as it is the case in my area, the RoSPA and IAM examiner is one and the same chap!
Fleet ADI, RoSPA Dip, RoADTest examiner.
Ralge

Postby Horse » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:49 pm

martine wrote:
michael769 wrote:Because RoADAR claim it to be the case, and have never been effectively challenged on their claim?

Ohhh...I think they have...

"The IAM Masters programme is the ultimate recognition for a civilian driver or rider to attain".

http://www.iam.org.uk/drivers/motorists-courses/masters

http://www.driving.org/diamond/tests/whydiamond

When it comes to the art of driving, there’s nothing higher than the DIAmond standard.
The DIAmond Advanced Test is the ultimate way to measure your road driving ability, marking you out as a smooth, safe and efficient driver.

DIAmond Special Test

The DIAmond Special Test is aimed at drivers and professional driver trainers who want to take their driving or riding to the highest level.

Going beyond the DIAmond Advanced Test, and adding new elements such as commentary driving, it is the perfect springboard on to opening up your career as a driver trainer.

Perhaps the most demanding driving qualification outside of the emergency services, the DIAmond Special Test proves you’ve got what it takes.

Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby sussex2 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:30 pm

Perhaps you have to settle for where you feel most comfortable.
The very notion of attempting to improve your driving means thinking outside the box; good luck to everyone who tries it.
If you don't reach gold standard (or whatever it may be called) at very least you will be actively thinking every time you drive - well that's the plan in any case :D
sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:01 pm

michael769 wrote:
martine wrote:why do you say ROSPA is a higher standard?

Because RoADAR claim it to be the case, and have never been effectively challenged on their claim?

http://www.roadar.org/drivers/info/car- ... e-2012.pdf

On a personal level, I feel the retests give a RoADAR membership greater credibility than IAM membership, having tutored folks who passed the IAM test many years ago I have some experience of how standards can drop, and the way the drop tends to be greater the longer it has been since they passed, when folks do not work towards maintaining and further improvement.

For folks who are not able to internalize the drive to maintain and improve the restests do provide an effective external drive.

'For folks who are not able to internalize the drive to maintain and improve the restests do provide an effective external drive'

What? :shock:
sussex2

Postby Horse » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:34 pm

StressedDave wrote: Personally, I have my doubts about DIAmond - it's marked against the DSA criteria, so the standard test is the same as Part II for an ADI and the Special Test is the same as the Cardington Special Assessment. . . . it's just that the standard you're being measured to is not the same as the IAM/RoADAR measure against.

A mate of mine took the Cardington Special Assessment and just rode it like any other advanced test (he was fairly-well trained, from several organisations, and an instructor too). He passed. They didn't mark him down for any 'advanced' malarky :)

How do you understand the standards vary?
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Return to Advanced Driving Forum