Driving video (police chase)

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby Kimosabe » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:41 pm

I just happened to be watching Police Interceptors last night and saw a Police RS3 being driven in an exemplary manner 'at speed', by a member of Lancs. RPU. I couldn't find a link to it online so here's something similar. If anyone does happen to find the episode or anything like it, can you please post it here?

Thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xp8Jx7I1 ... ata_player
A wise man once told me that "it depends". I sometimes agree.
Kimosabe

Postby waremark » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:22 pm

Watched your link and read the comments under. Poor quality video from an unmarked police car, entering a motorway behind an Audi RS4, then following as the RS4 accelerated up to 115 mph, then stopping him on the hard shoulder after the RS4 driver slowed for traffic ahead. Video was uploaded by the RS4 driver, who said he had been convicted at both magistrates and crown court (did not say of what, but presumably he was banned). Nothing dangerous seen. Tone of comments under the video was sympathetic to the Audi driver.

In a very fast car it is tempting to accelerate up to getting yourself banned speeds, but obviously very silly. I generally manage to resist!
waremark

Postby IanB » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:55 pm

Kimosabe wrote: I couldn't find a link to it online so here's something similar. If anyone does happen to find the episode or anything like it, can you please post it here?

Is this it?
If so, how far in is it?
IanB

Postby Kimosabe » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:25 pm

IanB wrote:
Kimosabe wrote: I couldn't find a link to it online so here's something similar. If anyone does happen to find the episode or anything like it, can you please post it here?

Is this it?
If so, how far in is it?

Hi Ian, yes that's the clip. Thanks a lot for posting the link.

So the part of Episode 7 I was referring to, was the Audi RS3 pursuit at about 25mins30secs in. It's not an enormous amount of footage but there was something about the way the Sgt was driving that caught my attention. I don't usually watch police chase shows because I often feel that the emphasis is all wrong, so this was a stroke of luck for me to see.

Wouldn't it be great to see more footage of AD in action, which isn't overtly instructional and which doesn't include the exaggerated and sarky comments of a catastrophising narrrator? Welcome any suggestions?

Ta K

(my gardner assures me that it is possible to steer a van using PP steering, while holding a phone in one hand. I believe her because she can carry boulders)
Kimosabe

Postby WhoseGeneration » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:41 pm

Kimosabe wrote:
Welcome any suggestions?

That the Police didn't try to attempt to use what someone advising them has said was how to communicate using the current means.
It's just an attempt at PR, which, for me, totally fails.
I gave up on such programmes years ago, because of the postscripts about sentencing of the many recidivist illegal drivers.
Always a commentary, spoken or not.
Keeps one safe. One hopes.
WhoseGeneration

Postby Kimosabe » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:18 pm

WhoseGeneration wrote:
Kimosabe wrote:
Welcome any suggestions?

That the Police didn't try to attempt to use what someone advising them has said was how to communicate using the current means.
It's just an attempt at PR, which, for me, totally fails.
I gave up on such programmes years ago, because of the postscripts about sentencing of the many recidivist illegal drivers.

Yes, i'm with you there. I recently had a chat with a RPU Sgt who said much the same thing as regards the damaging effects on his job such hyped and misguided emphasis generates. He also dislikes these shows for those reasons.

But what i'm really interested in seeing more of isn't that American guy who can walk diagonally infront of a camera, or the irritating narration accompanying UK Police action style shows. What I would like to see, is more about technique and attitudes of the drivers with regard to their own driving. At least then it's a sort of education.

It must have been on another show at around the same time as the one we're discussing that a RPU officer attempted a frankly dangerous overtake while on a single-lane slip road, onto a Motorway. When he failed to predict that the car he was effectively cutting up wasn't ready for his unmarked car to attempt such a crap idea, just because the driver stuck two fingers up at him, he pulled him for it. Then he told the driver that he wouldn't have dared such a thing had he been aware that it was none other than a Police Advanced Driver with hours of educashun behind him. It's the driving and the attitudes i'm interested in, not the nonsense which ensues on these shows. The camera never lies!
Kimosabe

Postby WhoseGeneration » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:04 am

Kimosabe wrote:Then he told the driver that he wouldn't have dared such a thing had he been aware that it was none other than a Police Advanced Driver with hours of educashun behind him. It's the driving and the attitudes i'm interested in, not the nonsense which ensues on these shows. The camera never lies!

With your occupation, you have to ask?
Always a commentary, spoken or not.
Keeps one safe. One hopes.
WhoseGeneration

Return to Advanced Driving Forum