Great driving roads

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby true blue » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:26 pm

I'm putting my money where my mouth is, and as a result of the 'what scares new members away' thread in the general chat area, I propose a thread for sharing great driving roads. Roads that should be enjoyable by the novice and the savant, that can be appreciated by cars and motorcycles alike.

The best new road I've discovered in recent months is the B645 from Higham Ferrers to St Neots (or from St Neots to Higham Ferrers if you prefer). A cracking mix of pretty(ish) villages with glorious open road, sweeping bends, long visibility and everything that can make you feel like a Driving God when the sun is shining and you can push your vehicle of choice along without a care in the world.

I'm also partial to the B1368 - not because it's especially good, but because it's not the A10. I don't find it especially challenging, or even especially long, but it's a hoot when you're out for a drive in the countryside. (The RSPB sanctuary partway along at Fowlmere may have been the source of a weak pun).

(Yes, I may have had a drink or two, and may be getting overly gushy about tarmac, but seriously, go out driving, it's great).
true blue

Postby dombooth » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:48 pm

I'll go for the obvious:

Snake Pass. A57 from Rivelin (Sheffield) to Glossop (Manchester).

Woodhead. A628 from Langsett (North Sheffield) to Tintwistle (Manchester).

Dom
Dominic Booth
Chesterfield IAM Chairman & Webmaster
IAM F1RST & RoADAR Gold

ALL OF MY POSTS ARE OF MY OPINION ONLY AND NOT THAT OF MY GROUP UNLESS OTHERWISE STATED.
dombooth

Postby zadocbrown » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:09 am

A686/A689 from Penrith over Hartside and down Weardale. Almost alpine in places - especially in winter :D
zadocbrown

Postby true blue » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:17 am

Sounds like a fine start - and a few things to seek out next time I find myself heading up to the north-west.

Keep them coming, and tell us all why your nominations are so deserving of praise...
true blue

Postby jont » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:04 am

Can we move this to members only? Last thing I want is too many people using /my/ roads :lol:
jont

Postby Horse » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:45 am

jont wrote:Can we move this to members only? Last thing I want is too many people using /my/ roads :lol:

A similar 'bike' thread (or article in a magazine, I can't remember which) resulted in complaints as the roads mentioned were inundated with hedge-seeking missiles . . .

However, to save time [Blue Peter mode] We've got one already done:

http://www.thebestrides.co.uk/

Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby Carbon Based » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:47 am

Scotland.

With enough variety to ask: what kind of great road do you prefer?

There are plenty of tight twisty bits if you like that.

For me, it would be the more open roads through Glencoe and the Cairngorms. Great views of the scenery as well as the road ahead. Mostly very good quality surface and pretty empty when we went there.

Closer to home, I'm finding some great routes through Kent now and will share some maps of them later.
Carbon Based

Postby GJD » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:12 pm

jont wrote:Can we move this to members only? Last thing I want is too many people using /my/ roads :lol:

Seconded :)
GJD

Postby titian » Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:21 pm

How about the classic Hardnott & Wrynose passes in the Lake District, there are some great challenges to be had but don't choose a weekend in summer if you can avoid it.

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g499540-d2236399-Reviews-Wrynose_Pass-Eskdale_Lake_District_Cumbria_England.html
titian

Postby jont » Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:48 pm

StressedDave wrote:
GJD wrote:
jont wrote:Can we move this to members only? Last thing I want is any people using /my/ roads :lol:

Seconded :)

EFA

Nah, it's okay having the odd person around for overtaking practice :lol:
jont

Postby Gareth » Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:57 pm

there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby Silk » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:42 pm

true blue wrote:I'm putting my money where my mouth is, and as a result of the 'what scares new members away' thread in the general chat area, I propose a thread for sharing great driving roads. Roads that should be enjoyable by the novice and the savant, that can be appreciated by cars and motorcycles alike.

M5 - because getting back from Exeter would take forever without it. ;-)

true blue wrote:(Yes, I may have had a drink or two, and may be getting overly gushy about tarmac, but seriously, go out driving, it's great).

Best sober up first!
Silk

Postby true blue » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:18 pm

Something that four years ago to the day identified some good roads near Scarborough just might not catch the eye of potential new members!

I've been kicking around here for 9 months or so now, and with only cursory browses of old threads have never found a road recommendations thread (maybe I didn't look hard enough, but that's sort of the point).

Just remembered another one - a few years ago I was driving a fully loaded people-carried around the north end of the isle of Arran. Going over the mountain(ish) (not mountainous!) road was the first time I really enjoyed driving, though I'm not sure my passengers at the time appreciated my decidedly novice efforts quite so much.

As for people worried about the roads clogging up, I shouldn't think there are enough people browsing the thread to make it a worry!
true blue

Postby Gareth » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:00 am

true blue wrote:As a relative newcomer, this place seems to go around in circles.

:D :roll:
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:32 pm

Just noticed this and I was going to say nearly 90% of all the roads in the country around Wales are bloody brilliant driving roads, and there's one road I seem to remember really well, yet cannot fathom where it was, but I thought it really good because it was a straight road which went for a minimum of 3 miles in a near-perfect straight line, yet you couldn't do any faster than 50 on it because it had that many bumps on it (Not harsh ones, just a lot of small dips and slight humps), but it ran straight through some of the most beautiful scenery I've ever seen. (I think it was somewhere in Yorkshire). I believe that the road was built on a old railway line which allowed it to go in a nice and straight line :D

Another one is (I have to say I've never been on it, but it looks pretty enough on the Last Tango In Halifax), is the A680, Edenfield Road (Might be the wrong one, but I think it's the one.

But yeah, I've always been a sucker for pretty road that are enjoyable to travel along, and aren't too much of a challenge to cope with :D
TheInsanity1234

Next

Return to Advanced Driving Forum